Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Asking for ID from seller - is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    He did give me his wife's # after I refused to send money, and it worked out in the end.
    Whoa, open marriage???!!!
    Rust Never Sleeps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    With my first rifle purchase through EE, I asked for the seller's full name, location, and phone number. Then I called and spoke to him and also googled his name with the town name. Turned out he'd been active in the local non-profits, according to local media articles. After that I was perfectly comfortable sending him money.

In my career I've been scammed by a person who would have shown up as a CONVICTED scam artist if I'd only Googled his name...Brian Penney in Edmonton if anyone there is reading this. I learned after that! Also Google the email address and phone number; crooks are often lazy and use the same one for a bit until it gets too hot.

When I sold my first gun on the EE (for over $1k) the buyer didn't ask many questions. But I'm honest so it was all good LOL.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

Quote Originally Posted by Nibe View Post
    Whoa, open marriage???!!!
    She runs a flower shop, talker to them there. His phone is not really " his phone" but company supplied or some such stuff.

I asked for (and got) the PAL info off the seller the first time I used the EE. He mentioned it was "unusual" but didn't mind. I was new and overly cautious both of scams and of legal issues... now I've had numerous positive experiences with the EE and have met some great CGNers through deals there.

If you're buying a firearm, you're providing them with your contact info, address and PAL so I don't think asking for similar info is inappropriate. Doesn't hurt to ask anyways.
    Cheers,

Kyle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234