Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asking for ID from seller - is this normal?

Question Asking for ID from seller - is this normal?

Hey everyone,

Simple question. What should I request from someone with say, under 20 feedback before sending them lots of cash money?

Is it kind of the norm to ask for ID or something in this case? I know it can be a touchy subject for some!

Purchasing a restricted in this case.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 09-22-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Is under 20 more then 2? .........

What are you buying restricted or non or non firearm?
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

I never asked for ID. Because you be hard pressed for a seller to send it.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    No. Ask seller to send or PM pic of item for sale, along with their CGN name and today’s date next to it.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    I don’t ask for ID
    But I do ask for their name and number and address in case I need to reach them especially if there’s a lot of $$ involved
    For small deals I don’t bother

IMO if they don’t want you to know that, there’s a reason for it.
    It’s a scam

Edit
    Please read item 1 in Greentips “avoiding bad deals and fraud awareness “ thread, which you were supposed to read to get access to the EE
    Last edited by Bigbubba; 09-22-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Ah, I really like that idea. I do like the idea of being able to know who someone is to the point where I'd be able to take them to small claims if I had them run off with my money, but I'm becoming more and more aware of the CGN demographic and how they don't like people knowing their names or addresses without having money first or whatever, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by skoal View Post
    Is under 20 more then 2? .........

What are you buying restricted or non or non firearm?
    Is someone at risk of getting scammed when they receive cash first?
    Purchasing a restricted.

I personally have no problem sending identification, in fact I already have!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbubba View Post
    I don’t ask for ID
    But I do ask for their name and number and address in case I need to reach them especially if there’s a lot of $$ involved
    For small deals I don’t bother

IMO if they don’t want you to know that, there’s a reason for it.
    It’s a scam

Edit
    Please read item 1 in Greentips “avoiding bad deals and fraud awareness “ thread, which you were supposed to read to get access to the EE
    No need to assume that one didn't! I read way too much to the point where I overthink what I'm reading, which is what I did before even posting this haha. I definitely value reading what already exists, but I'm the type of person who values peoples experiences and individual feedback as I know sometimes the general requirements/guidelines may not be the norm if you know what I mean.

Appreciate the feedback on asking for that info. Definitely makes sense to! Honestly if someone had made 10 sales I probably wouldn't ask for anything other than a name and phone number. In my cases one had 2 sales and the other had 5 and had both been on the forums for under 5 months and had less posts than I.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 09-22-2018 at 06:28 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    Don’t read anything into post count.
    A high number just means you like typing. Or very opinionated.

Doesn’t make you or me any more honest though.

I ask for their info, and ask them to send me a txt with the transfer info. If you aren't sure, call and have a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbubba View Post
    Don’t read anything into post count.
    A high number just means you like typing. Or very opinionated.

Doesn’t make you or me any more honest though.
    Nah, totally.. I'm not sure if I led on that I was using it as some kind of gauge but it's kind of the last thing I look at, and only if they have next to no feedback and no history on this forum. History on this forum is something I somewhat value. 20 posts and 5 months of activity tells me that they are not invested in this community at all. It may not matter to you, but that certainly is something I'd keep in mind. I've been a part of online communities for as long as there has been online communities, and I know how much people get invested in these places. Someone with 2000 posts and 12 years of history here probably wouldn't make an exit over $1000 if you know what I mean. Always exceptions.. but that with some feedback and I wouldn't think twice about sending my money.

But when it's a handful of sales, 6 months since join, and 20 posts I'm saying I need some kind of reassurance I'm sending my $1000 or whatever to someone legitimate. Someone with 6 years here and 10 years, and 1000 posts would tell me they just don't sell often but they've been here a hell of a lot of time and likely have some connections to others here in terms of range membership, etc. Some way that person would live with their scam down the road, even if it's just knowing some people around them know they did it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    ID?

I'd ask for an email/cell phone before ID... if something goes wrong, you can usually find out who they are with a cell phone number.

Also, ask if you can call/talk on the phone.
    'nada

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast