Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Wk 180c problem, mounting eotech mount

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I had to pay out of pocket the first time as did many.
    I have emails direct from Kodiak stating this is the policy despite my stating how it's utter BS...
    Apparently some people got prepaid shipping labels at some point. Maybe they changed their tune after so many rifles had to go back. Who knows.
    When I enquired about sending it back again, they said I pay the shipping once again.
    It's ####ing BS. That's my opinion there obviously.
    Thanks...I don't have anything yet..But I'm going to shoot it lots in case many things start showing up
    $50 a crack can get expensive
    Debbie Downer here..But how much testing was done on the prototypes??
    Or are the manufactured guns different then the prototypes??

Updated List

Quote Originally Posted by Cee-8 View Post
    Updated list of issues with the WK180C (Further to the original posting). I have included Travis's issue with the Magpul Mbus polymer sights.

So here is a list of issues that I have compiled from reading all the sites:

1. Chamber problems. (Original 223 Wylde chambered rifles had some issues in feeding some factory ammo; namely; american independence ammo. Problem was traced back to an out of spec chamber reamer. This was resolved by changing to 556 chamber.)

2, Magazine feeding problems. (See Travis Bickle post above and there is a video on youtube by Zee 705 that demonstrates it doesn't work will all mags. Apparently this has been resolved according to highbeam's post but it still may be QC issue and appear in other rifles.)

3. Charging handle is galling/gouging the inside of the raceway when operated on the left side of the receiver. (Maybe a design issue or possibly the gun is being over gassed. Unfortunately, to keep the prices down, there is no way to adjust the gas system. I will be on the watch for this in my rifle as the round count goes up.)

4. The gas block touches the hand guard. (No free float here if there is contact. I haven't heard any recent complaints about this and there was a mention that the company may be milling the block down to overcome this issue.)

5. Not a true 1913 picatinny rail. (The top of the rail is to spec but not the sides. This is creating a issue in which some optics and mounting systems do not work. Not an easy fix as the receiver would have to be redesigned as well as the hand guard. Apparently, the company has only addressed this in the specs by calling it 1913 type rail or something to that effect.) * FURTHER: *** MAGPUL MBUS POLYMER SIGHTS CAN BE MOUNTED BUT THE REAR SIGHT HAS TO BE MODIFIED SO IT CAN BE FLIPPED UP AND DEPLOYED***

6. Pistol grip angle is not conducive to proper trigger finger placement (Not a real problem, but the trigger finger doesn't fall naturally to the sweet spot in the trigger. People have resorted to modifying various grips with a dremel tool or purchasing the Magpul MOE K which is designed to be more vertical. )

FEEL FREE TO COPY THIS POST AND INCLUDE ANY OTHER ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN ENCOUNTERED.
    I have had my rifle out to the range on two occasions and have shot about 300 rounds through the gun to date. Here are some of my personal observations regarding the above issues:

1. My rifle came with a 556 chamber. No issues chambering any type of ammo including the Independence ammo that was giving the 223 wylde chamber problems. (Looks like this is resolved)

2. I used PMags, Hera, C Products Defense 5/30, RRA Lar-15 pistol mags (10 rounders), and a IWI 5/30 Tavor Mag without any issues at all. I had only two FTF which were early in testing and were caused by me following the charging handle while closing. (Looks like this is resolved)

3. After 300 rounds, there is no indication that the charging handle is impacting the inside of the receiver. (Looks like this is a non-issue or just a problem with select rifles)

4. Still touches the hand guard. So no free float here. Gun is pretty accurate, so it doesn't seem to affect it much. (Still an issue).

5. The mount tightening knob on my aimpoint Pro was touching the receiver. Did the same thing on my Ruger PC9 as well. I could have modified it with another washer as suggested but I did the next best thing, I sold it and picked up an aimpoint H2 with aimpoint quick release base - no issues with this base at all. I installed Fab Defense MBus type plastic sights instead of the magpul Mbus variety and they cleared and worked without issue. One point I did notice was that the rear sight had to be moved substantially to the right when zeroed. If the rail, barrel and receiver were in true alignment this could be dead centre. (Still an issue - no a true 1913 pic rail some mounts and sights will give you issues).

6. Was going to order a Magpul MOE K with the improved grip angle to resolved this issue. Instead I just used a dremel and custom fitted Magpul MIAD Grip retaining some of the backstrap. Very comfortable but did nothing to address the grip angle.

7. (New One) There is noticeable loose fit between the upper and lower received. More up down than right left. Not really an issue as far as accuracy goes but they (the manufacturer) made it a point on their youtube video that they had resolved the chronic AR15 rattle by installing a lug in the upper receiver that keyed into the lower to reduce the shake. My former AR15 didn't have this much wobble. Again not a deal breaker and could be resolved with a shim or piece of tape. Didn't affect accuracy.

Bottom Line: It's not restricted. Shoots nice. Fit and finish is very good. Nose heavy but what do you expect with an 18.6" barrel. Action does not get as dirty as an AR. All in all, I am pretty impressed. Not as pretty as an AR but then again I wouldn't win any beauty awards either.

If the AR 15 was non-restricted, I wouldn't buy a WK180C. Unfortunately, it is and this is the most cost effective next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I only ever ran it on left side and it was bad.

I forgot actually; another issue more in line with you scope and battery powered sight types; I only use iron sights.
    I put a pair of Magpul MBUS flip up sights on mine.
    The rear sight slid on the rail with a bit of tightness but it did fit.
    However the square shape of the receiver and the space from the receiver top and top of the rail would not allow the sight to be folded or flip up as the lever that actuates when this happens would contact the receiver top and go no further.
    I had to slowly file away flat material from the bottoms of the push button releases to allow ebough clearance to release the sight.
    Not a huge issue but again another overlooked spot on this thing.
    Probably not a huge issue to most of you scope guys but the MBUS flips are one of the most common ones used that ice seen as backups or primary open sights.
    I just discovered that myself this morning... any pictures of youre filing

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank- View Post
    I just discovered that myself this morning... any pictures of youre filing
    I did not take pictures unfortunatey sir.
    Just flip the sights upside down and visualise where the lowest point on the bottom of those spring levers would contact the receiver.
    Get a bastard file, lock the sights upside down in a vice and just slowly pass it across them at the same time keeping it flat until you see you've removed some material and then slide it back on and test it.
    Remove just enough to allow them to drop and let the sights flip up.
    Go slow the plastic shaves away fast.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Shot another 100 plus rounds through her today but gun went into single action and had to be manually charged to extract and rechamber another round.

Tried cleaning the gas piston system at the range to no avail. When I got home, I discovered that the gas block had moved 1/2" forward obstructing the gas hole coming from the barrel. seems the gas block retaining screw had worked its way loose.

I have read several accounts of others experiencing this problem. I notified Kodiak regarding this assembly or design issue. Check your gas block retainer screw after shooting.

At this point I think a gas block redesign is probably in order. It touches the top of the hand grip and it's a pain in the butt to get disassembled.

They should copy the M+M M10x DMR system. I would pay for the upgrade.

Still loving it but the glow is wearing off. If only AR15's were non-restricted........well I can dream.

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384
    This has long since gone off topic from its original post.
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789