Thread: Looking for a new gun.

Looking for a new gun.

Hi there, I'm newish to the gun scene. I have a few guns now, 300 winmag, Russian side by side 12g, pump 12g, single shot .410, semi auto .22 and a single shot .22.

I want to get into a gun that is large enough for a deer but with a lot cheaper ammunition than my 300 winmag.

So what are some caliber options for me? I keep hearing friends mention NATO rounds? I would love to be able to go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds with my boys in a day but also not break the bank. I also want to be able to shoot deer and maybe moose with it.

An SKS will provide you with cheap, all day shooting with your boys with surplus ammo and you can pick up hunting rounds in 7.62x39 when you want to try for a deer, however I wouldn't use it on moose. I would also limit my shots to under 200 yards, preferably 100yards. The SKS is about as cheap as you will find ($200-300) for a gun that is capable of taking a deer,,,and your boys will love it,,,,cause everyone loves a gun with a bayonet
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

CGN frequent flyer
    For price + your proposed use I'm thinking you're pretty much looking at .308 or a 30-06. They're not super cheap, but better than your .300. I imagine the 'NATO' you mention refers to 7.62x51 in a .308, but you should understand that they're not identical although some folks say that they can be fired from a .308. My only experience of trying that was FTF because my BLR doesn't strike hard enough to fire the 7.62 I tried. Might not be true for other sporting rifles.. I dunno.

Hey thanks for the replies! Is the SKS a fairly accurate gun? And are there other guns in that caliber? I'm mostly interested in the cheapest ammo. I don't mind spending money on a higher-quality gun. Just hate choking at the till when paying for ammunition! LOL

get a used .308 win, tons of them aroud. They will take moose, deer bear and any rhinig in Canada , grizz weeell?
    GUNS spelled backwards is SNUG coincidence--- not,, cause I feel safe and snug when I am with my guns![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will be nicer when you get smarter.....
    we can fix broken but stupid is forever.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    I've hunted with an SKS. I loaded with commercial SP ammo. The important thing with that rifle was to know my hold overs at all likely engagement distances versus my .300 WM's minute of hide trajectory. The 7.62x39 is not a powerful cartridge compared to others that might come to mind, but it is equal to the 30-30 in many respects. Our own CGN'er Ganderite did some testing with various company's loads. Do some searches to see the results he got.

As for a slightly less powerful cartridge than your .300 WM, there are so many choices! Many makers will sell a package gun with a starter rifle, scope, rings and sling for a ridiculous low price. Take you pick of chamberings. If you think you need to spend more for more gun, just ask me to buy one of the packages for you and I'll keep a $300 commission. I know two hunters who knocked down Saskatchewan monster mule deer with .300 WM Savages that came preassembled. One made the book, the other was just out of the scoring.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?