Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chiappa Alaskan Scouts En Route!

I've been looking for my first lever action.. I was thinking .22, but something something illuminati 2x2=4=44, maybe I can justify my first being in 44? It's also twice my price range but hey, that hasn't stopped me so far.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GU4RDI4N View Post

I measured my barrel using a cleaning rod. It is 304mm. This is a Chiappa Alaskan Scout 12" Takedown purchased from Wanstalls.
    Thanks GU4RDI4N, I was hoping maybe it would have made 305mm despite the 12" barrel designation.

I sort of had a feeling that Wanstall's lack of reply over the last few years meant the news was not good for B.C. Hunters.
    I wonder how hard it would be to get these Custom made guns a hair longer?

What's the story on your scope mount/peep sight? What scope is that?
    It looks pretty well thought out!

That style of integrated rail and peep would be another good feature to add to these "custom" guns along with the extra couple mm of barrel length to satisfy the BC Hunting Regulations.
    Last edited by Can-down; 10-08-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

FYI about the Buffalo Bore ammo in these.

The Buffalo Bore 305gr is loaded long and doesn't cycle properly in the Alaskan action. It feeds if you shake the rifle enough or slap the side of the action.

That's my experience with 2 of the rifles from the previous import. They ate everything else we threw at them though, just the BB heavy ammo was longer.

Other than that, these are great rifles I have nothing bad to say about. This isn't a rifle flaw, it's a specific BB ammo issue. I talked to a gunsmith who said they could tweak the action, but that it might effect other normal ammo feeding. I don't know if that is accurate but I left mine alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    What's the story on your scope mount/peep sight? What scope is that?
    It looks pretty well thought out!

That style of integrated rail and peep would be another good feature to add to these "custom" guns along with the extra couple mm of barrel length to satisfy the BC Hunting Regulations.
    The mount is a Weaver Rail Peep Sight from Taylor's & Company. I couldn't find it anywhere in Canada so I had to buy it from the States.

The scope is an inexpensive fixed magnification 4x32 Simmons Prohunter handgun scope. I chose this one because it has the correct eye relief for this scout rifle. I mounted it with some QD rings so I can use the peep sight for close shots or just for fun.

Taylor's also sells this Takedown Rifle Survival Bag that works great. It even has a side pouch for a box of ammo.

Pretty nice that the Taylor mount is made for the chiappa hole pattern!
    What a no brainer including a mount like that and a nice takedown bag...... hint, hint.

Nice....

Yeah i love that bag, Skinner makes the same one, or labels the same one "Skinner".

I use it for my Alaskan and my Winchester Trail End 450. Great product!

I’m going to start charging interest on my purchase... it’s been two weeks since payment was accepted (in full) on these rifles. Time is money.

If you were going to have this long of a delay I would have suggested taking a deposit initially and then payment once they are shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Kechika View Post
    I’m going to start charging interest on my purchase... it’s been two weeks since payment was accepted (in full) on these rifles. Time is money.

If you were going to have this long of a delay I would have suggested taking a deposit initially and then payment once they are shipping.

2 weeks is nothing in the gun world.....

I guess it's been a few years since I bought a gun from Wanstalls but it's not because they ignore/ignored my rather simple barrel question. Truth is I'd prefer this takedown with a 16 inch barrel.

I was more just curious if they were aware of BC hunting regulations and if the 12" model was perhaps a CH over 12".
    I think I first asked a couple of years ago and then during every subsequent arrival of this model.

Thanks again to GU4RDI4N for finally putting that question to rest! Oh so close.......
    Last edited by Can-down; 10-09-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123