Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rifle, Anti-Tank, .55in, Boys

Quote Originally Posted by yank View Post
    Wish I still had mine. Sold it off to buy an engagement ring and wedding ring. Youve heard of shotgun weddings, mine was an anti-tank rifle wedding! As it turns out a poor trade, ah well, life.
    Damn, bet you wish you had that one to do over.

CGN frequent flyer
    Had i known then what i know now i would have bought every single one of them from International Firearms in Montreal 45 years ago . I bought one , fired it 8 or 10 times and traded it for a '66 Pontiac .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    The Disney video was great. I could fire that gun and know where to aim on a WWII tank now. The Hitler cartoon at the beginning was hilarious. "I am being oppressed!!" Where have I heard that lately?
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stencollector View Post
    Yes. They are frequently done for two reasons. In the US the primary reason is because at 55 cal it is a destructive device. Conversion to 50BMG turns it back into just a rifle. Here in Canada most are done so that they can actually be shot without having to spend $25 to $50 a shot for original ammunition, and that is when you can find it. There is no steady source for the ammo.

Now queue the guys who are going to tell us that you can fire form BMG ammo into 55, or else solder on the headspacing band onto the rear of the case. And that you can buy bullets from Australia, and how easy they will be to reload.

I took the easy route and changed mine over to a Kreiger match grade 50BMG. I have actually done 3 of them over the years. You can put the original profile on the barrel, and with a slight modification to the magazines, feed the BMG from a magazine.

Sure there are cheaper 50s out there, but none with the fine lines and superfluous machining of the Boys rifle. They are a work of industrial art.
    "just a rifle" eh?
    'nada

Quote Originally Posted by tharkhold View Post
    "just a rifle" eh?
    Yes, "Just a rifle"...but what a rifle. The gun room would not be the same without it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234