Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I have a remington 30-06 that was stamped a 270 cal at factory

The rifle should not have been stamped wrong bottom line, major mistake and safety issue. The least they could do is a free gun. The plan was to sight in the gun back home which is 1000km from the city I live in the day before hunting. I should not have had to worry about this issue of a wrongly stamped rifle. ANd I have tried contacting gravel and remington and they more less take the issue of a wrongly stamped rifle as a joke

Yeah... I'd never go on a 1000km drive for a hunt without a backup rifle...or two. and I know my 30-06 works, the scope works, and it's sighted in. But I still bring my .308 as a b/u. I don't even go 100km trip without a backup. I learned my lesson on a short 10k trip when I somehow managed to leave the bolt behind. lol.

who cares whether or not you would go out with or without a back up rifle or whether or not he decided to sight it in after he drove to his hunting area. a new bolt gun should put rounds down range within 2-3 moa worst case (100yd) and be stamped correctly. hope you get more than just a rifle swap out of the deal. feel for ya
    Parcels are sent via Canada Post and include $100 insurance and signature required. Extra insurance is available at extra cost to you per Canada Post $2.20 per $100 optional.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I'd call Remington directly and see if they would offer you a new gun and a credit for the original rifle. It was their mistake not yours.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Amazing! Great first post on your "joined CGN" day! I am a bit like previous posters, however - drive a 1,000 km with a new-in-the-box untested, unsighted in rifle for a hunt - how would you know what brand / weight ammo to take with you? Not something I have done. Many stories read of clients showing up in Africa asking guides (professional hunters) to mount scopes, sight in, etc. I have had way too much stuff break, go missing, or fall apart to ever depend on "new" to be in working order...

I have a feeling the 1000km trip with a brand new rifle story MAY be for gravy sake for the $$$
    But this is pretty incredible. I hope you get made whole on the situation. Pretty insane thinking about quality control to that level.
    Never tell me the odds

Not at all for gravy sake. I live in ST.Johns newfoundland and hunt on northern tip of the island at my hometown. And should have been no issue to sight in the gun. As for not knowing what type of bullets to get it wasnt my first time in life every using a gun just first time using a new gun. ANd biggest point of gravy in this story is fact that this rifle was wrongly stamped and using wrong ammo, this mistake and a big safety issue caused by manufacturer who treats it as nothing. Poor customer service. I am not looking for a big settlement just trying to find some ways to get it out in public. There maybe more guns of it im pretty sure the dealership has found a couple more that I know about

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Hopefully they didn;t stamp a whole run of bunch of barrels incorrectly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Did you manage to hammer the 30.06 rounds into the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    Amazing! Great first post on your "joined CGN" day! I am a bit like previous posters, however - drive a 1,000 km with a new-in-the-box untested, unsighted in rifle for a hunt - how would you know what brand / weight ammo to take with you? Not something I have done. Many stories read of clients showing up in Africa asking guides (professional hunters) to mount scopes, sight in, etc. I have had way too much stuff break, go missing, or fall apart to ever depend on "new" to be in working order...
    Unless he is trying to shoot out a squirrels eye at 500 yards I doubt weight or brand of factory 270 ammo really matters.