Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I have a remington 30-06 that was stamped a 270 cal at factory

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    Serious, don't buy a REM 783... its a piece of crap !!!
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...?highlight=783
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

Quote Originally Posted by pfoley View Post
    I have a remington 783 thats supposed to be a 270 cal but is actually a 30-06 but was stamped a 270 cal at factory. I bought this gun a few weeks back and I bought or wanted to buy a 270 cal. I took the new gun on a hunting trip that I drove 1000 km to get to the area I had my moose license in to find out when I tried to sight in my new rifle I could not hit the side of a barn with it. I was convinced that the scope was problem. I then got a friend to help me sight in and still same problem. We eventually put the gun to 15 yards from the target and still could not hit a target that was 2 feet by 2 feet square. He said he had never seen anything like this before. Then he looked at the top of the barrel and said give me a bullet. He took a 270 bullet and tried to fit it in the barrel and realised even the casing would go inside and the bullet could wobble in it, he then looked at me and said im pretty sure this gun is a 30-06 and not a 270 cal. I couldnt believe it my hunting trip was ruined I had no rifle. When I returned back home I brought it back to the dealership I bought it and the gunsmith confirmed it was a 30-06. After they first basically called me crazy before I showed them how the bullet fit. They said they had never seen this before or heard. This is a major mistake and safety issue. The dealership offered a straight swap for the gun but I feel the least remington can do to compensate my wasted trip is a free rifle. I am having very little success with the customer service line in Quebec. Can anyone help direct me to somewhere with remington I can get some help and to some areas online I can post this to make it public. I know there has been 2 more guns like it found at the dealership and im sure there is more. The customer service is treating it as a warranty case but I think its an example of poor quality control and product control. Thanks
    This is a fine example of everything that is wrong with the world today. Somebody bought a model of rifle built with the lowest cost as the main objective. And they are surprised there was an issue.
    Take it one step further. They brought their unfired and untested rifle on a hunt and tried to sight it in last minute. Now, for what ever reason, they feel entitled to be compensated because their own actions, or lack there of lead to a botched hunt. Not only do they want their rifle replaced, they want a free one. Also, they want to be compensated for the hunt itself? WOW.

I have had much more expensive rifles, from manufacturers with a better reputation than Remington, have problems out of the box. But you know what? It didn't ruin a hunt. Because I found the problem way in advance.

When you buy a product, and there is an issue, you did not just win the lottery. It sucks, yes. It is going to happen when you buy the Lada of rifles, you know what you are getting with that buying decision. But all you are entitled to is a repair or replacement. The fact is all products have issues now and then. That is why there is a warranty. Learn from this, but quit trying to hold a manufacturer responsible for bad decisions and planning. Not only that, but actively trying to find a mountain top to shout from? Ugh.

Dealer is willing to replace the rifle. Problem solved. You are not a unique snowflake, and you are not entitled to anything more. Sorry, that is life.

The unfortunate part of the internet is people, no matter how flawed/misguided their logic or opinions are, can find support to validate them. Case in point.
    "That is a major boo boo, and I’m pretty sure needs to be reported to some sort of authority.
    I suggest being very loud about it till Remington shuts you up with a big wad o cash."

When I see things like this, it makes me sick. I suppose my opinion on this matter will "trigger" some individuals because the belief that they are actually important and need to be catered to has just been threatened. I guess I will get publicly flogged on social media because someone has their feelings hurt. Age of the OP? I bet they won a "participation" trophy during their school years.
    A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Shot placement is king; adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the heads of pins

Well I am glad that no one was hurt from this mistake, and that there were no kabooms...
    Make certain that you Enjoy life! You are never going to be younger than you are today.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoley View Post
    I have a remington 783 thats supposed to be a 270 cal but is actually a 30-06 but was stamped a 270 cal at factory. I bought this gun a few weeks back and I bought or wanted to buy a 270 cal. I took the new gun on a hunting trip that I drove 1000 km to get to the area I had my moose license in to find out when I tried to sight in my new rifle I could not hit the side of a barn with it. I was convinced that the scope was problem. I then got a friend to help me sight in and still same problem. We eventually put the gun to 15 yards from the target and still could not hit a target that was 2 feet by 2 feet square. He said he had never seen anything like this before. Then he looked at the top of the barrel and said give me a bullet. He took a 270 bullet and tried to fit it in the barrel and realised even the casing would go inside and the bullet could wobble in it, he then looked at me and said im pretty sure this gun is a 30-06 and not a 270 cal. I couldnt believe it my hunting trip was ruined I had no rifle. When I returned back home I brought it back to the dealership I bought it and the gunsmith confirmed it was a 30-06. After they first basically called me crazy before I showed them how the bullet fit. They said they had never seen this before or heard. This is a major mistake and safety issue. The dealership offered a straight swap for the gun but I feel the least remington can do to compensate my wasted trip is a free rifle. I am having very little success with the customer service line in Quebec. Can anyone help direct me to somewhere with remington I can get some help and to some areas online I can post this to make it public. I know there has been 2 more guns like it found at the dealership and im sure there is more. The customer service is treating it as a warranty case but I think its an example of poor quality control and product control. Thanks
    Quoted for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
    This is a fine example of everything that is wrong with the world today. Somebody bought a model of rifle built with the lowest cost as the main objective. And they are surprised there was an issue.
    Take it one step further. They brought their unfired and untested rifle on a hunt and tried to sight it in last minute. Now, for what ever reason, they feel entitled to be compensated because their own actions, or lack there of lead to a botched hunt. Not only do they want their rifle replaced, they want a free one. Also, they want to be compensated for the hunt itself? WOW.

I have had much more expensive rifles, from manufacturers with a better reputation than Remington, have problems out of the box. But you know what? It didn't ruin a hunt. Because I found the problem way in advance.

When you buy a product, and there is an issue, you did not just win the lottery. It sucks, yes. It is going to happen when you buy the Lada of rifles, you know what you are getting with that buying decision. But all you are entitled to is a repair or replacement. The fact is all products have issues now and then. That is why there is a warranty. Learn from this, but quit trying to hold a manufacturer responsible for bad decisions and planning. Not only that, but actively trying to find a mountain top to shout from? Ugh.

Dealer is willing to replace the rifle. Problem solved. You are not a unique snowflake, and you are not entitled to anything more. Sorry, that is life.

The unfortunate part of the internet is people, no matter how flawed/misguided their logic or opinions are, can find support to validate them. Case in point.
    "That is a major boo boo, and I’m pretty sure needs to be reported to some sort of authority.
    I suggest being very loud about it till Remington shuts you up with a big wad o cash."

When I see things like this, it makes me sick. I suppose my opinion on this matter will "trigger" some individuals because the belief that they are actually important and need to be catered to has just been threatened. I guess I will get publicly flogged on social media because someone has their feelings hurt. Age of the OP? I bet they won a "participation" trophy during their school years.
    Agreed. However, how things are handled will determine a retained customer, or a lost one. While I disagree with the "expectation" of people wanting compensation... ultimately it will play a crucial role in how things pan out.

Id say the dealer did what they needed to do... offer an exchange. However, (and this could very well have been offered as well) rather than replace it with another of the same - an offer for the money back should also be considered. Understandably, I would've lost faith in Remington from this experience, and wouldn't want to continue to support them with another of their rifles.

Ultimately now, Remington's job now is to either convince the OP to be a believer they're not garbage, or otherwise. Whether that means compensation of some sort (box of ammo, sling, etc) or nothing... that's between the OP and Remington now. On principle, Ive in the past denied the compensation for items on the principal that I know I won't be going back to that store/that product again. Sometimes just admittance of guilt, and a smooth transaction can bring me back... but Customer Service is also dying with the generations of gimme-gimme-gimme

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    That is a very dangerous mistake on remington and i feel your frustration but no offence driving a 1000kms to go hunting with a new rifle that's not even sighted in seems kinda crazy to me.
    Exactly.
    Are you allowed to eat doughnuts private Pyle?

What, no free moose?
    WTB full semiautomatic assault rifles, double barrel extended magazine clips, 30 magazine clips (half second or better), shoulder things that go up and high power ammo that can go through walls.

Was about to make a comment about Remington QC but then I remembered my sig legion sao showed up missing slide serrations so stuff like this just happens. It shouldn't happen but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunnion View Post
    Not to mention the fact he could've just got a box of 30-06 and carried on the hunt.
    Ha!!!!
    Sort of what I was thinking. Not many moose camps without a 30-06 around.
    Most retailers would exchange the rifle, that's is likely all he will get. An upgrade to a 700 or a few boxes of ammo would be cool but not likely.
    Anxiousness is the axeman of accuracy.
    IPSC and 3gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rust View Post
    Ha!!!!
    Sort of what I was thinking. Not many moose camps without a 30-06 around.
    Most retailers would exchange the rifle, that's is likely all he will get. An upgrade to a 700 or a few boxes of ammo would be cool but not likely.
    but according to that other guy, 30-06 are not very capable of taking down a moose
    Everytime a vendor posts a sale, my bank account cringes