Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: STAG-10 In the Wild!

Quote Originally Posted by danv View Post
    Scope and mount?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike112288's Avatar
    I wanna know what butt stock is on the rifle that is sitting on that quad! I absolutely DIG that style. What brand name is that??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike112288's Avatar
    Where do I get the ace skeleton stock? Also what do you guys think of the battle arms wood furniture??

CGN Regular
    The Scope is a Leopold vxr 1.25-4 in an american defense recon mount in FDE. It has an ACE AFRX Skeleton stock

CGN Regular
    Brother in law and I both bought a stag10, finally got them out to shoot them today! Was a load of fun, but it was not without any hiccups.

The good!
    Accuracy wise, these guns are very accurate right out of the box! With federal 175 Sierra match kings, I was getting 1 moa 5 shot group and had a .75 moa 3 shot group at one hundred yards. With hirtenberger surplus 147 gr ammo, I was getting 1.5 - 2.5 moa, if I really took my time and did my part. So not too bad for surplus ammo. Once the gun started breaking in things became smoother. I do believe that this rifle does need a break in period before things smooth out, not for the barrel, but for the rest of the gun and the action. The v6g gamma brake works very well (my bro in law has it on his) and I opted to put a AAC Blackout on mine and it was very soft shooting, even with more stout loaded rounds. The action is very smooth and handled max loads I had made up for initial development easily with no over pressure signs found. The rifle will feel heavy when picking it up, but I find it balanced really well when shouldered. Unfound the barrel didn't really heat up quickly even when not allowing long periods of time to cool. Very nice to have a heavier barrel!

The bad!
    Lock tight and check all bolts on this rifle. Both rifles began to have malfunctions starting shortly after shooting. They began with fail to lock back on empty, then moved to short stroking and not picking up a round at random, to stove pipes and finally moved to straight pull action. This happened to both rifles around the same time. Culprit was the Allen screws used to secure the gas block had come loose. One rifle had the gas block being loose and the other had walked forward about 10 thou or so. Just enough that you can't tell by looking at it. The gas blocks were resecured and lock tightened down. Went back to 100 percent function right away.

Use good ammo with these, even good surplus. These rifles are picky with ammo (to be expected with these types of rifles). Things will smooth out inside the rifle, but until then they feel a little rough. They do have tight tolerances so I don't see this as a bad thing. I did have multiple stove pipes, but I am going to put that towards some of my handloads being ####ty, I have never loaded for 308 before so I'm still learning. I had no malfunctions when using the surplus hirtenberger ammo or any factory ammo.

Aside from the gas block coming loose there really wasnt much gripe with this rifle. I am very happy with how it performed (once the gas block issue was figured out). It is a higher precision rifle and should not be treated like a tavor or a regular rack grade ar15. I cannot wait to continue load development for this rifle and see how hard I can push this rifle.
    Last edited by Luis1; 10-07-2018 at 10:07 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I haven't decided on a scope yet, but really wanted to try mine out, so I put an Aimpoint PRO on it and went to shoot some steel at 100 yards just for fun.

Thing was malfunctioning like crazy.

First 15 rounds were fine. Put 40 more through it and almost every round would fail to feed. A few times it would also fail to strip the next round from the mag, and also fail to lock open on the last round.

Ammo was Federal Lake City 149 grain. I doubt it was a magazine issue, as it was happening with all five of my XCR mags and the factory Magpul mag.

Last edited by kagia; 10-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Loose gas block ? as the poster above you mentioned .

Yup most likely what Luis1 and I had happen
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes---Thomas Jefferson

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tstormt View Post
    Loose gas block ? as the poster above you mentioned .
    Hmm...

Just checked and I don't think I'd say the bolts were loose, but it did take very little force to break them loose.

CGN Regular
    Yup exactly how Mitchell's and my rifle were. We unscrewed the gas block, took the screws out, applied locktite, lined the gas block up and made sure it seated as far as it could, then tightened the screws back in, very hand tight.

Both of our screws were easy to break loose too.