Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range two-way radio for hunting?

Long range two-way radio for hunting?

Hi, I'm planning to go hunting soon with some buddies and I want to get a radio so we can communicate to each other as we plan on splitting up into two groups. I have no radio license and don't know anything about radios, I was planning on picking up a baofeng UV5R (i heard they have like 10-20km range and upgradable too!!) or something and hooking it up to my razor walkers but then I was informed that the baofeng radios are illegal to use w/o a license. What is a radio I can use that has similar range and doesn't need a license that I can use to communicate with my buddies?

thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well it's illigal in AB if used any guiding/mentoring application. check your wildlife act before spending money
    Last edited by LordEvilPepper; 10-03-2018 at 09:40 PM.

CGN Regular
    Look into rental radios. Commercial radio places.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEvilPepper View Post
    Well it's illigal in AB if used any guiding/mentoring application. check your wildlife act before spending money
    it is fine as long as we are not using the radios to hunt

the plan is for mostly to communicate when to go back/check in with each other or if one party caught something and they need help bringing it back (like a deer)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    The UV-5R is not legal to use (transmitting) in Canada without a license.

You could program it to the general FRS Frequencies (Walkie Talkie 1-7, 15-22 Motorola) which have a max power of 2W, but because the radio is 'capable' of 5W even setting it to low power (1W on the 5R) Industry Canada does not allow it to be used in Canada unlicensed.....

it sucks as they are awesome radios for 40 bucks. I use one to 'listen' to the logging truck channels traveling on Forest Service Roads in BC

You will not find a legal 'long range' radio as handheld UHF frequencies are line of sight. In real terms a few miles (say 5km).
    Last edited by Paul_T; 10-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

ahhh shame, I found a good radio with decent range (not as good as the license required ones) at a decent price too..... but they dont really sell them in canada (atleast not for absorbent prices..)

https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1

if anyone knows where I could get one of these (maybe i missed a site or something) please tell me

https://www.roadpost.ca/satellite-ph...y-rentals.html

Just a suggestion, not sure how long you're hunting or financial situation..

Quote Originally Posted by nidh0gg View Post
    ahhh shame, I found a good radio with decent range (not as good as the license required ones) at a decent price too..... but they dont really sell them in canada (atleast not for absorbent prices..)

https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1

if anyone knows where I could get one of these (maybe i missed a site or something) please tell me
    The radio in your link is only 2w on high power and won’t be much better than the Motorola talkabouts you can buy at CT. You can get a decent Baofeng or Puxing from North Trail Sports (used to be a site sponsor here on CGN). You will need a license to operate one of these but that’s another story.

Try this company. https://www.radioddity.com I use their radios in the oilfield. Very inexpensive, 8w power and they have all of the channels UHF/VHF. Very long range and in my case work through steel buildings when using the VHF range.

BANNED
    UV-5R is 24$ on Amazoncom right meow :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast