Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gf and I are doing our non restricted course on Monday. Anything we should know?

Gf and I are doing our non restricted course on Monday. Anything we should know?

Did a few rounds online of gunexams.com and I must say I am a little intimidated to pass. Especially since english is not her first language.

Any tips for us on what to prepare?

If you read the course manual ahead of time, you should be fine... Also, if you know someone who owns firearms, it would not hurt to handle a few before the course. Just remember that many others will be in the same boat. Do not feel intimidated, the course is meant to demystify firearms and teach safe handling. If your spouse has language limitations, just be upfront about it with the teacher. They are there to help. Good luck!

ACTS & PROVE. Google this, watch Rod Giltaca on YouTube. Watch a few YouTube videos on "ACTS & PROVE"ing a double barrel, lever action, semi-auto, and a bolt action. If you can "ACTS & PROVE" and know what each letter stands for, you WILL pass.

I'm a total gun newb and my course had a couple of ladies in it that clearly never handled a firearm before and likely vote Liberal. They passed with 90%+ and some of the things they were doing in the course made me cringe, haha.

It really is a no brainer, a lot of common sense. Listen to your instructor, they will "nudge" you in the right direction most of the time. But that's literally it, study your ACTS & PROVE a few times and you will both be golden. I promise.

I also highly suggest signing up for an RPAL course ASAP before you apply. It makes way more sense, and is a lot more money to add it on in the future instead of just getting it done right off the bat. Even if you don't want a restricted gun right away, it wont add any length time to your application and is usually only an extra 6 hours of course time.

Good luck to both of you, but don't overthink it. Overthinking it is the #1 thing that will make you get a few things wrong. But it's common for someone who did literally no studying, grew up in the city, and got all of their info on guns from the CBC to pass with flying colors. The fact that you're even on this forum gives you a 1up on most people taking their course.

EDIT: Also, applying for an extra credit card or two well in advance will surely help your desires to have one gun of every action.. and then 2 of every action, and then 2 of every action from every production year..

I'm 2 weeks into having my RPAL and I've dropped near $10k already, prepare yourself!! Or have some restraint, because I sure don't.

CGN Regular wildwestprofessionals's Avatar
    It is Best to try and handle some firearms and get comfortable holding them before you do the course
    The test itself is mostly common sense... Read the books cover to cover before going and doing the course... It Helps
    Always Remember your Acts & Prove... You should never pick up a firearm without checking it... Good Luck... Cheers

Got to say this looks a lot like an ad for a BS site charging people $50 to do practice exams.

Shawn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sspikey View Post
    Did a few rounds online of gunexams.com and I must say I am a little intimidated to pass. Especially since english is not her first language.

Any tips for us on what to prepare?
    As long as you are smarter than the typical trudeau supporter and pay attention to what the instructor says you will pass. Also don't come off as a serial killer or terrorist.

Instructors want everyone to pass the course because it helps the cause. They are not out to grill you or judge you or what ever crap you can fill your own head with.

Some of the questions were tricky with the wording. I just did it about a year ago. And English is my only language.

The instructor stated to read carefully as some are worded like

You should not never store an unloaded firearm locked in an unlocked container containing ammunition without a trigger lock

Weird wording like that. Watch the loaded unloaded part.

All in all the questions aren’t too bad.
    CCFR, CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Montreal eh? If it would have been closer, I would have invited you to EOSC and gone thru the ACTS/Prove stuff at the range.

and to the above ^, that's really ####ty examinations where they use double negatives (or even triple).... That's not checking if someone if safe, that's checking their level of the English language... which is bs imo

"One shouldn't always have non-unloaded trigger-unlocked firearm is a safe without its ammo". True or false? bleh!

Also, she is allowed to take the exams in whatever language she want (En or Fr that is)... unless her native tongue is something else.

But yeah, the bestest practice is never point a firearm at someone, and always acts/prove for any kind of manipulation.

The most 'complex' question I remember is the "you're out hunting with a long rifle, and you come up to a fence... How to you cross it?".
    Last edited by tharkhold; 10-06-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    'nada

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    My tip would be to do the restricted at the same time or before you apply for your PAL anyways ..... if you later get an RPAL, they’ll cancel any non-restricted PAL and it will cost more money to get a new license. Get the RPAL while you can and you will always have the option, if you ever choose to get a restricted in the future. Plus, who knows what might happen to these licenses in the future.

Also, keep your paperwork when you pass the exam ..... I had reason to need it many, many years later, so keep it just in case.

As for the exam, finger out of the trigger guard and control the direction of your muzzle ... the two most important things.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I agree that you should get your rpal as well, as long as you listen to the instructor, you should have no problem passing the course. Its very straightforward, and common sense.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast