Thread: Closet Gun Safe

Closet Gun Safe

Hey everyone,

I am looking into turning a closet into a gun safe with a electronic lock. Wondering what the regulations would be on this, if there is anything I should know about it.
    Also will be going for my RPAL course at some point, is there anything extra I would need for this room to hold my restricted firearms?

Thanks

Hello, and welcome! It's great that you are diligent in informing yourself about safe, proper and legal storage. I would recommend that you invest in a proper commercial safe that fits in your closet. Due diligence +++, is what you need to be thinking. Your CFSC should have covered this thoroughly. Your CRFSC will also cover this thoroughly. Restricted firearms must be in a proper safe, or else trigger locked, in a locked cabinet and away from ammunition. At minimum.
    Always be thinking above the minimum, and consider curious children that may be around, or crafty teenagers living in your home. A safe that is hidden is a great idea.
    If you meet more than one azzhole per day...chances are you're the azzhole....

Thanks!

I have purchased a magnetic lock along with pinpad and everything else to turn this into a "safe". You will not be able to get into it without power tools... For the restricted, I just wasnt sure if the requirements were different. If I was to purchase a seperate lockbox to put inside of this room, that should be OK for the ammunition correct?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1976 View Post
    Hello, and welcome! It's great that you are diligent in informing yourself about safe, proper and legal storage. I would recommend that you invest in a proper commercial safe that fits in your closet. Due diligence +++, is what you need to be thinking. Your CFSC should have covered this thoroughly. Your CRFSC will also cover this thoroughly. Restricted firearms must be in a proper safe, or else trigger locked, in a locked cabinet and away from ammunition. At minimum.
    Always be thinking above the minimum, and consider curious children that may be around, or crafty teenagers living in your home. A safe that is hidden is a great idea.
    I am with you on this one, a hidden safe or gun locker is the best way to go, out of sight out of mind. The reason the military use stealth, applies at home too.