Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Musings of Mr. Wolverine - October Edition.

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384

The Musings of Mr. Wolverine - October Edition.

Schools & Guns

I know many of you will simply say "Times have changed", but I have to shake my head and wonder why people have such an issue with guns in schools! I realize that the world in some ways is a much different place than it may have been when I was in school, but we had a small arsenal and no issues, no accidents and no tragedies, let me elaborate.

I went to a private mixed (Boys and girls) boarding school in the UK, at that time it was called Grenville College and was at Stoke by Clare near Sudbury in Suffolk. You can find it on Google but the name has now been changed to Stoke College. The building is very old and had once been a monastery in mediaeval times, then a stately home.. The main building had the girls dormitories on the top floors, then class rooms and at ground level, the main entrance hall,(complete with African trophy heads, including a Cape Buffalo) assemble hall, kitchen, dinning room and junior class rooms. There were walled in gardens, a large vegetable garden, fruit trees, a grape vine, grass tennis courts and a grass cricket pitch. Also stables, where some pupils stabled their horses, an art studio, wood working shop and science laboratory. Some of the old walls were very thick, at least one was over six feet, it was hollow, it contained the school magazine.

The school had a cadet corps, Suffolk, ACF (Army Cadet Force) strictly boys only, run by the MOD (Ministry of Defence). Our uniforms and webbing was all WWII, we were taught drills, and basic infantry tactics at a platoon level. So naturally we had to have some equipment, this included the following: Fifty five Lee Enfield No 4 .303 rifles and eight No 8 caliber .22 LR rifles, these were all live and working. We also had a DP (Drill purpose) Bren and two MKII Sten guns. I remember when the two Stens arrived, our Cadet Officer, also our house master, sent for me during a lunch break, I reported and was told I had volunteered to unwrap and clean these two new additions, I used this as an excuse to skip all classes for the rest of the afternoon. I quickly taught myself how a STEN worked and how simple she was to field strip.

I shot my Lee Enfield rifle competitively up to a county level at every opportunity. I would collect the keys for the magazine, locate my rifle, draw her from the magazine, sign her out to myself, clean her and then sling her over my shoulder stroll down the driveway and wait by the road side for TA (Territorial Army) officer to collect me and drive to a local MOD range where on the firing line I would be handed my live ammo, one rd at a time. As cadets we only shot out to a maximum of 300 yds and I think our targets were bigger than standard and I had no trouble of keeping all my rds in the bull when I did my part.

At school one evening a week we would have a Cadet evening, we would practice drill or train in field craft and section tactics. This would give us a reason to all have our rifles issued, we took turns to carry the Bren and Stens. We now had the excuse to climb the outside fire escape on the main school building and race over the roof tops, “raiding” the senior girls dormitories at every opportunity. We also had canoes in the river, this flowed through the bottom of the school grounds, so sometimes, against all the rules we would take our rifles in the canoes, when on exercise. This came to an abrupt halt after I capsized a canoe and I was reported for loosing the Bren, this was all lies as I had recovered the Bren before the end of the exercise.

Anyway the point of all this is to show that having guns in schools does not have to equate to tragedy. Having guns in the school I attended equated to many lessons learned, those of which included the meaning of respect, honour and loyalty. All values that I carry with me today.

I enjoyed school, I concentrated on what I thought was important. How to "scrounge" butter from the school pantry without getting caught, so I needed to pick locks or make skeleton keys in shop classes, how to build canoes in wood working classes, how to skip French classes so I could hone my skills at poaching trout from the river, I would gut and cook these for the senior boys in the evening. How to shoot a .303 rifle, how to strip and clean a BREN and STEN blindfolded, these were what I considered really important life skills. Sadly the rest of the world (especially my parents) did not share the same opinion.

The end result of my school life was that I failed to graduate, hardly surprising when I look back at where I devoted my energies. Later I did manage to scrape into an Agricultural College where for the first time in my life I enjoyed classes, I graduated from that with no problem despite being handicapped with poor spelling and Maths. Much later in Canada when I applied to join the Reserves I was granted an education waiver, I later learned that these are seldom applied for and rarely granted, but the gods must of been smiling as I was able to earn my Commission in the CF.

Looking back, I now realise I was the exception, never destined for University but even I was able to learn some lifelong lessons and values right along side those who were. Some of which were a direct result of working along side this arsenal we had in our school, an arsenal that never resulted in any sort of tragedy or violence.

My conclusion is that guns in schools do not automatically equate to increased violence, there is a lot more to that story and something else required to happen before anything ever reaches that point. If we could focus on finding a solution to that part of the story and not just on the guns, then we would really be making some progress.

What do I have to show for this, I still have my shoulder flashes, my recommendation for Lance Corporal was never approved! And despite failing my finals I do remember the important things… my Lee Enfield .303 Rifle was serial # PF 1994880

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

SuperLike

BANNED
    While I'm fascinated by this bit of history from Mr.wolverine, I can't help but point out that you probably had a reasonable set of parents at a reasonable home (ie disciplined and thus disciplining) at a reasonable time (England in the 60's/70's?) that made the possibility of you being around guns at a 'reasonable' (very strict disciplinary) school and not doing something stupid/reckless a logical conclusion.
    I grew up with 6 brothers and a father who worked away from home a lot. I'd say I was on the heavier side of disciplined as far as growing up goes, and we were only allowed around a 22 a couple of times before becoming adults. Because #### Happens, especially with kids, and especially with boys, and with guns there's a certain level of finality when it comes to that ####.
    My point is, unless something very drastic happens to the home environment, and thus education environment in North America, guns in school will only lead to '#### happening'. Because kids are stupid inexperienced #######s. It only takes a very regimented lifestyle and educated to circumvent this simple fact.

Hope I'm not out of place commenting here

BANNED
    I can just imagine the reaction if a group of military cadets 'raided' a girls dormitory these days.
    Literally all the fun is gone these days

Great story. I was also given the 'freedom' (yes, I consider the more authoritarian upbringing a freedom simply because I was also given the chance to do more, fail more, end up with consequences and tremendous growth)

The outdoor skills learned as a pure City kid (bushcraft, firearms, trapping, survival camps) in my mind have translated directly to my success as an adult.

A small, real world example is creating a second family with a then 13 year old boy with no skills at anything outside or mechanical. Some patience, some good luck and yes some firm direction occasionally has this now 19 year old in his second year of engineering, away from home and an amazing sense of confidence and abilities. This is from a boy that wouldn't leave his phone, gamed in secret in the middle of the night and generally was 'written off' as not going anywhere.

My 2C's in support of your excellent article and down to earth thoughts.

Thanks!

Excellent write up. Very descriptive.
    My take on guns and violence/tragedy is it's the lack of discipline in earlier formative years that leads to tragedy.
    "If you teach your kids how to shoot, when to shoot, what to shoot, and where to shoot, freedom will easily be maintained." - Erin Canales

Meanwhile back in the Dominion of Canada, most high schools had a .22 shooting range along with, in some cases, a mandatory cadet corps.

Our school had, like you, Brens, Stens, No 4 Mk1*s and a sprinkling of Browning Inglis HiPowers.

Our lunch break was 1 1/2 hours. Those of us so inclined gobbled our home made sandwiches then headed down to the range.

It was either about 45 minutes of foot drill for the drill team or about 45 minutes of target practice using CNo7 .22 Enfields. We had no duly appointed RSO, we just lay on the plywood platforms and fired our targets. Our "bible" was a British War Office pamphlet Pam named "Shoot to Kill" which imbued in us all the safety procedures which are prevalent today.

After firing a few hundred rounds or so, we packed up, cleaned rifles and headed back to class.

No big deal!
    Last edited by Rule 303; 10-03-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: plurality and spelling
    CSSA (OHA), CPC SSA (RSO), CCFR

Great story but there is a huge difference between someone being taught a disciplined use of a military rifle with proper training and support and a the ability for a teen to buy an ar15 he learned to love in Call of duty at wallmart and bringing it to school.

There's also a huge difference between someone who has passed all the mandatory requisites in order to be granted a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License, and is subjected to a daily criminal check EVERY DAY . And your teen can not possibly buy an AR 15 at a Canadian Walmart(note the spelling) in order to bring it to school.
    CSSA (OHA), CPC SSA (RSO), CCFR

Super GunNutz
    In early 1982, I took my FN FAL to BCIT for a class assignment on Gov't, specifically gun laws in Canada, at the time. Wrapped up in a blanket and walked over from my residence. No one was outraged or 'triggered,' just natural curiousity from the big city dwellers. How times have changed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast