Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11131415161718192021222324252627282931 ... LastLast

Thread: Action: Public Safety of Canada Online Gun Ban Consultation

When you fill in the section on how to limit illicit firearms be sure to add "theft from police " to the other section.

Make sure to use some made up gender, the liberals will respect your opinion because of it.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCub View Post
    The survey has changed from last night. Now there is a definition of assault weapon as

The US Department of Justice has used the following description: “in general, assault weapons are semiautomatic firearms with a large magazine of ammunition that were designed and configured for rapid fire.”
    This definition is broad enough to apply to handguns too...5 round mags anyone

My answers:

I am a hard-working law abiding 2nd generation Canadian immigrant, who enjoys going to the range to do target shooting once and a while. And maybe participate in one or 2 competitions per year. I am already subjected to daily criminal bank ground checks as a restricted license holder, and keep all my firearms locked in a safe, and ammo locked up separately. My guns are probably less likely to fall into the hands of a criminal than the axe, or chainsaw sitting in my garage. Just because some gang banger or drug dealer uses guns to commit their crimes, does not mean my freedom to practice a sport responsibly should be taken away! We have very strict laws against violence of all types in this country already! Even more, we have laws against carrying a firearm on you in public unless headed directly to the woods or the range!! A person without a license walking down the street with a firearm is already committing at least to criminal violations! IF they are willing to do that, why would punishing people who follow the law change the outcome of this person’s choices? Short answer it would not! Banning objects, or further restricting access to them will not solve the problem anymore than banning kitchen knives, axes, hammers, cars, or rocks will. These objects can ALL be turned into "assault" weapons if in the wrong hands. If I am not mistaken more murders and "assaults" are carried out with these sorts of objects and tools than with firearms of any kind. “Assault” is an ACTION by a sentient being. It is not, and cannot be, the state of being of an inanimate object. The only way to reduce the already low rates of fire arms violence in this country is through three prongs:

1. Crack down on illicit gang activity of all types.

This can be achieved through creating opportunities for kids especially young men to enter mentorship and after school programs. Which will keep them off the streets where often they find themselves up to no good. As well as giving them important life skills that will help them become successful members of society, and develop important character traits like self discipline, personal organization/goal setting, and responsibility. For those that are already living a criminal lifestyle, consequences need to be implemented that are severe enough that one would take pause before committing the crime. Opportunity to reform should of course be provided if violence has not been committed, and crimes should be punished on an escalating scale as one shows that they are not learning from past mistakes.

2. Through mental health programs.

This one is important for those "lone wolf" or seemingly random acts of violence. And I think the major thing would be to continue the de-stigmatization of seeking help and making sure that that help is close at hand for anyone and everyone. Without judgement, and completely confidential so that it won't affect ones opportunities down the road.

3. Smuggling.
    Although I don't know much about what goes on in this area, I believe this is the primary way illicit firearms enter our country. Put harsh penalties on firearms smuggling, and work with first nations stake holders along the border to make sure that their land is not being used to funnel illegal weapons and other things into the country.

4. Decriminalize and provide rehab for ALL drugs, and maybe even prostitution even though these are controversial ideas that many of us would think of as unpleasant, this would gut the two main revenue streams of gangs and organized criminals across the country.

In closing please do not ban this hobby I love. It will not solve the problem. The only people it will affect are people that are already following the very restrictive and even punitive laws of our country. I implore anyone who reads this to go out and take their firearms license course (BOTH of them) before making a decision, and once you complete it, ask yourself, do we really need to put MORE restrictions on this already highly policed (and self policing community?)

Remember, Brazil and Mexico both have almost COMPLETE bans on private ownership of firearms. Yet gun violence in both countries is astronomically high and climbing. So bans DO NOT WORK. full stop. Prohibition of alcohol did not work either if we all recall. The black market merely flourished. So I would actually posit the argument that further punishing law abiding gun owners, is COMPLETELY missing the mark, and will do less than nothing to prevent gun crimes.
    I made a long answer that addresses all these questions in the handgun box. But consider this,

The definition of the word "assault" is: To carry out a physical attack on another person. Therefore, anything a human can use to hurt another human can have the word "assault" attached to it, and it will be equally valid. I.E. Assault rock, assault hammer, assault knife, even assault fists. Anyone can assault anybody else with all manner of objects. A firearm on its own is incapable of assault. IT IS THE PERSON IN WHOSE POSSESSION IT IS FOUND.

So, with a law-abiding individual who owns firearms, there is no chance or concern of assault whatsoever even if he had a fully automatic firearm (already completely prohibited)

A person with a violent form of mental illness, or who has criminal intent, does not even need a gun to seriously injure or kill another person! They can use a kitchen knife! They are likely to commit assault.

Its the people NOT the object.

Canadian legal gun owners are already the most over policed, under represented and ignored, and abused stakeholders in this debate, and we are a diverse community made of Canadians of every creed gender, an economic stratum. Scapegoating and punishing us will have zero affect on reducing the amount of gun crimes in our country.

Smuggling is probably where most of the illicit firearms come from, as straw purchases are easily traceable as all guns are tracked through points of purchase and associated with a license. Making it ridiculously simple to find out who did the straw purchasing in the first place.

For thefts the responsibility is already placed on the legal owner, and he will be accused if he never reports his gun stolen.

Assaulting or murdering another person is already ILLEGAL no matter what is used. So punishing law abiding Canadians WILL NOT stop someone from carry out their heinous acts if they so decide to commit them. Its a human problem. In that the only way to address violence of all kinds including with guns, is to find ways to identify, and help those at risk of becoming violent before they do so.

Survey completed, and link shared. Thank you!

Done!
    May 1st 2020, clear proof;
    Registration leads to confiscation!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    Done.
    CCFR/NFA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by billbmcleod View Post
    When you fill in the section on how to limit illicit firearms be sure to add "theft from police " to the other section.
    And theft BY police?

If you have long letters, please send them to this email per the instructions of the consultation!

Dialogue.RVC-RCV@canada.ca

Name:  Howto.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  17.6 KB

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

BTW, there has been NO, zero, none, crimes committed by their so-called "assault weapons".

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account