Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Action: Public Safety of Canada Online Gun Ban Consultation

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fraserdw's Avatar
    Done
    Recovering soldier, 34 years. For 34 years I have apparently served a tyranny, the Canadian people have my apologies. Had I only known......

"I enforced the law as written. It was not for me to determine to morality of hostage executions, confiscation of property or the deportations. It was German law and I was a German policeman." Detective Sgt Heorgen, Koln. Trial statement 1947.

Quote Originally Posted by na1lb0hm View Post
    i love the cherry picked wording about "assault rifles" too
    Under their chosen definition, none of us have "assault rifles" since our rifles are limit to 5 rounds capacity. How ironic.

Here is what I have to say to them in the additional comment section

The survey use the definition of "semiautomatic firearms with a large magazine of ammunition that were designed and configured for rapid fire" to describe assault rifles. Regardless whether I believe assault rifle should be semiautomatic only or select fire (which I consider only the latter to be assault rifle), under this definition, none of the rifle legally owned by regular Canadians are assault rifle since we are limited to 5 rounds magazine capacity for center-fire semi-auto rifles, which does not fit the definition of having "a large magazine of ammunition".

CGN Regular
    I like the assault weapons blurb. Technically speaking, if you move your hand fast enough (even though they list no quantifying basis for "rapid") your hand can be considered an "assault weapon".

Done. Comments in every box. Took all i had to keep calm when filling out comments.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Finished. I made some long comments...

Handguns:

Limiting access to legal handguns will harm Canadians. We have a Charter right to security of the person, which includes self-defense against dangerous animals (both wild and domestic) and against violent criminals. Handguns have a recognized use in this right, as witnessed by the existence of Authorizations To Carry for Protection of Life and for Lawful Profession or Occupation. I believe that ATCs for wilderness carry should be readily available to anyone who is qualified and licensed to own a handgun. Have you ever tried to perform camping or fishing tasks while carrying a rifle or shotgun? It is very difficult, unlike having a handgun in a holster. In fact, a holstered handgun is SAFER than a long gun slung on your back. ATCs for Protection of Life are also very important. Police cannot be everywhere at once and, unlike high-ranking politicians, us ordinary citizens do not have armed security. Think of it this way: we readily authorize armoured car guards to carry handguns to protect the bank's money. But we prevent people from carrying guns to protect human lives? Do you value cash more than human lives? One last concern that I have is that small handguns are currently prohibited (under 105mm barrel and .25/.32 calibre). This discriminates against women who often have smaller/weaker hands and are more sensitive to recoil than men. For gender equity we should legalize small handguns again.

Assault weapons:

So-called assault weapons have an important place in Canadian history and national security. Canadian soldiers in WWI and WWII were renowned for their marksmanship skills. They learned these skills from a young age while shooting for target practise and for hunting. Back then, most military firearms were bolt actions so ordinary hunting rifles (of which MANY were war surplus firearms) provided them with the necessary skills. It takes years of practise to become a good shot. It can't be effectively taught in a 2-month boot camp. However, it is 2018 and times have changed. Military firearms are generally select fire (full auto) but soldiers tend to use semi-auto most of the time to conserve ammo. So semi-auto tactical-style firearms are excellent for ordinary Canadians to develop marksmanship skills that are relevant to today's military operations. Canada must remain a nation of marksmen if we are to continue being a respected international power. Due to our small population, we cannot afford to maintain a large military. But we can encourage citizens to learn usage of tactical firearms in order to have a well of skilled men and women to draw on if there is ever a large war in the future. Having an armed and skilled civilian population also acts as a deterrent if, in a worst-case scenario, a large nation decides to annex Canadian territory for its vast natural resources.

Final Comment:

Please do not go down this path of further limitations on firearms ownership. There are many firearm owners who disagree with Conservative Party positions on social issues and drug prohibition. But we are essentially forced to support them with money and votes whenever the Liberals begin another round of gun control. I hadn't donated money to any party in years but have sent the Cons some cash recently because I feel cornered. I wish Liberals would leave gun owners alone and balance the budget again. Remember Paul Martin as finance minister? He was great at finance but then promised to ban handguns so I had to vote Conservative.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

...sorry man but "good luck with that"

once again i am willing to bet results will not be published but we can try

CGN Regular
    Answered! thanks!

What an infuriating survey. there misuse of the "assault weapons" makes me cringe...

this

CGN Ultra frequent flyer themarauder's Avatar
    Done. I like the description of "assault weapons". Semi autos with large magazines... which are already illegal here.
    "Obviously a registry makes it easier to prohibit firearms," said Wendy Cukier (Coalition for Gun Control) - Right from the horse's mouth.