Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Action: Gun Ban Consultation!

Just sent an e-mail and copies my MP.

Here is my e-mail if it will help inspire any others or provide talking points:

To those working towards a solution for the reduction of violent crime as it pertains to the use of handguns and "assault weapons",

I completed the survey as you are asking Canadians to do so, as well as following up with an e-mail as recommended.

I have concerns with the banning of handguns outright as well as "assault weapons" as you define them.

Banning handguns from civilians ownership or further restricting their possession among the population is counter-intuitive. The Canadians who are in possession of a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License for the ownership of Restricted class firearms (which handguns fall into) are the most vetted citizens of this country, alongside police and members of the government and military who require sensitive information access, RPAL owners are run through a background check on a daily basis to ensure their public records remains squeaky clean while they are assumed to own firearms.

This simply demands that the government trust these men and women as they have entrusted the government to violate their privacy on a daily basis so they can enjoy their sport; no different then we entrust our civil servants to uphold their own public image so the government can trust them to keep the peace of our society.

The criminals which are not vetted in this way must be the focus of any legislation should the government choose to table as they are the ones which are in violation of the laws that RPAL owners are statistically more likely to adhere to then any sector of Canadians.

Firearms are an investment as much as they are a hobby and sport. They are an investment of time, money and effort for all of those who engage in exercising their freedom as citizens of this country to own firearms. A free and safe country starts with a citizenry who are confident that their government trusts them, and there is no greater trust that we can be allowed then to possess firearms of all variations.

The criminals who act in disregard of this bond are far more deserving of the attention that would be ill-placed onto legal firearms owners should a handgun ban come into effect.

This also applies to the "assault weapons" as defined by the Americans in their ban of 1994, paraphrased here:

"A semi automatic firearms capable of rapid firing and utilizing a high capacity magazine"

May I remind you that semi-automatic firearms covers an immensely broad range of firearms including the hunting and sport shotguns popular across the country, the rifles our grandfathers carried onto the battlefield during the second world war, and the small handful of military firearms enjoyed by sport shooters across the country.

Your definition is weak, and the thought process is weaker still: where are the statistics on crimes committed by high capacity semi automatic rifles?

In recent history, we can think of multiple incidents of mass violence committed by people using this weapons. But are these events statistically significant in such a way as to warrant that no citizen under any circumstance should be entrusted with their ownership? As we are asked to trust you, the politicians in the face of political scandals and private activities one may find distasteful time and time again?

You would not have us render a people's vote to ban politicians would you?

We forgive you and continue to allow those motivated by politics to guide the nation; the public forgives cheaters, liars and thieves every year thanks to political scandal and strife.

Thinking on that point, I would suggest that your citizenry is still yet worthy of the trust required to own semi automatic firearms.

Lastly, by your own definition, the high-capacity firearms you speak of legally do not exist in rifle form: as all semi-automatic centerfire firearms with a removable magazine are restricted in magazine capacity.

Perhaps moving to ban them is simply a moot point, if they don't exist by definition within the country anyway.

To conclude, I would like to point out a problem I have with the procedure Mr. Blair has decided on in terms of consultation in person: He has not published where he will be holding engagement sessions and for some reason thinks it is reasonable to have these negotiations on an invite-only basis: hardly democratic to pick your own stakeholders!

I urge your office to rescind this policy and engage in open dialogue with us, the citizens who will be affected by your legislation.

I have copied in my local MP in hopes of being a part of this invitation only dialogue should it be decided that will be the path taken.

Done and done. Also suggest mailing copies. The more effort the better; at least if we lose our possessions and freedom we can feel like we did our part to prevent it.
    CCFR member - join and support ! DONATE
    SPFGA

Done. I do believe there is a major concern of violent crime that needs to be addressed. It’s importiant. However the government is completely wrong on the way to solve it. Here is my email. Feel free to take from it if it suits your belief.

To whom it may concern.

I write today to express my feelings about reducing violent crime in Canada. As a proud Canadian citizen, and a proud gun owner, this is an important issue to me. I truly do feel that Canada’s media has sensationalized gun violence based on the happenings of the United States. Not only does this raise issues, as we are not the same country, but also the heart of the issue raised is in relation to violent crimes, and not guns.

Canada is a sovereign nation with a different demographic and different laws than the United States. The contrast that is always being made with the US has tainted the issue at hand. Although handguns have been a tool used by criminals, the actions of these criminals should be the point of interest and concern, not the tools they may or may not use. Additionally, a primary issue in relation to gun control in the US is in relation to mental health, and their lack of funding and support for affected individuals. These affected individuals then go on to obtain guns, which leads to its own set of issues. However, Canada handles mental health issues in a reasonable way, which indicates that this would also not be an issue we should be concerned with on the same level that they are in the US. In Canada, our background checks before obtaining a gun license ensure that we do not deal with issues of the mentally unwell owning firearms.

The primary concern then, is criminal violence, not mental health issues or gun ownership laws. I believe the time the government is engaging in a “knee jerk” reaction with this gun ban, and it is a disgrace. Criminals are just that, criminals. These people have complete disregard for law and order. Therefore, enforcing additional laws around gun ownership will not affect these people, and instead will only serve to hinder law abiding citizens, who are not the concern. Our current judicial system has enabled such evil acts to go on, with little repercussion to those who chose to walk the path against all that is good. Sentencing for crimes of violence, regardless of how heinous, are drug out for months or years, and time served in jail is minimal. Actions like these should be swiftly sent through the system with severe repercussions; this would likely be the far better option to ensure that these criminals consider their actions more thoroughly, not further gun laws. Funding and police presence should be the utmost importance to reduce violent crime, not further restrictions on the everyday citizen. This should be without question. Our Liberal government has pulled the wool
    over our fellow Canadian citizens’ eyes. Riding the coattails of another country’s issues, allowing the media to confuse the public on the real issue at hand, is a sure sign of poor leadership, and manipulation to fulfill their own agenda, regardless of the baselessness of their claims. The aggressive attacks on legal gun owners in Canada is relentless. Time and time again, these restrictions and additional laws fail to resolve any of the issues which are alleged by the government. We are so very fortunate to live in a peaceful country, without war or religious divide. A simple search of gun restrictions in other country’s will show they do not work, so why are we not learning from the errors of others who have tried before us? Canada must move forward with today’s issues and find a suitable path which deals with our specific issues, and pertains the to demographic of our own country. Furthermore, as our population continues to grow, so will our issues. Gang violence and criminal activity is always a threat. Banning or limiting firearms, weapons, or drugs will never serve to snuff out the issue.

Funding to the judicial system will prevent and curb future crime. More and more funding cuts have been made to the men and women who choose to protect us. From local police department to conservation officers. Rural areas are a becoming lawless. An example of this can be found in Foremost, Alberta. The Conservation office was closed October 1st 2018 the closest CO is 2.5 hours away. RCMP are stretched thin and farm robberies are common nature. The general public is unaware of how criminal activity has become and unfortunate and accepted part of rural life. There have been several events in recent years that escalated to the loss of life, just as there have been in urban areas. Criminals have free reign, and a slap on the wrist has not stopped them from reoffending. Crime, and repercussions for criminals is a real, and growing issue that Canada should be dealing with. Regardless of gun laws, crime is soon to be out of control in this country. Why would we attack law abiding, hardworking, gun owners who have such limited rights as is? Target criminals. Unchecked criminals, and their ensuing sprees, is an issue that has gone on long enough; this is the root of the problems the government is trying to address. If there is somewhere to point the finger for the issues we are dealing with, our broken justice system is to be blamed.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    The survey is anonymous so you don't actually HAVE to do anything else. They are just suggestions on other ways to contribute.
    It of course IS a great idea to keep hammering away at these imbeciles with everything we have.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Spoken like a true patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by canoe2 View Post
    Done and done. Also suggest mailing copies. The more effort the better; at least if we lose our possessions and freedom we can feel like we did our part to prevent it.
    I remember everyone be very respectful and tell these people how wonderful they are ... maybe they will have sympathy on us

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VanIsleCam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canoe2 View Post
    I have to think there will be numerous lost possessions if the LPC actually doubles down on this.
    Proarm Militant - Variant Factory - Data Shopper - Fringe Minority

... and they always double down
    Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleCam View Post
    I have to think there will be numerous lost possessions if the LPC actually doubles down on this.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Letter is done. I will be mailing it tomorrow (Monday).
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    So I am sending this to my MP and who else ?

Sent many letters and emails aswell