Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of a Canadian Made Bullpup Bolt Action?

"Huge market gap" Right....

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestus View Post
    "Huge market gap" Right....
    Name any sub 3k factory bullpup bolt action. I'll just be here waiting...

100% on board. I have no bolt guns but I would buy a Canadian made bolt bullpup right quick.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
    on a factory non semi auto, OAL doesnt apply. For example the mare's leg is 24 inches overall. But it comes that way from the factory and has a manual action. Same with the 21.5 inch KSG tactical
    This guy gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMY View Post
    OAL will always apply.

However, that being said......the idea is a decent one.
    This guy does not.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    Just because a Handful of people want something does not make it viable to produce

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
    on a factory non semi auto, OAL doesnt apply. For example the mare's leg is 24 inches overall. But it comes that way from the factory and has a manual action. Same with the 21.5 inch KSG tactical
    This.

(c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise
    If they don't fold ect, and come that length from the factory, they are not restricted.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    driller, I actually brought this very idea of a bullpup bolt action rifle forward to another Canadian firearms manufacturing company quite a while back. They didn't seem to receptive to the idea due to (in their opinion) the minuscule demand in the Canadian market.

I'd like to think the potential for success with this type of firearm was greatly underestimated by them. There is a HUGE market gap to be filled here (providing it's priced less than what's currently available). We have Desert Tech and then we have.... that's right, NOTHING.

I'd love to see it happen but the only problem I see is the ability to manufacture this with a sub 3k price tag. But I see no reason why it can't be done for a lot less than a Desert Tech.

Keep the design simple. Start with a short action with choice of 223 or 308 bolt face. Use AICS magazines and possibly a simple quick change barrel system like the Savage barrel nut that would allow the user to have different caliber barrels and change them himself with nothing more than a vise, wrench and headspace gauges.

I'd be in for something like this.

CGN Regular
    I’d be in for one in a long a long action thumper round. Short as possible and around the 2k mark would be icing on the cake.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    driller, I actually brought this very idea of a bullpup bolt action rifle forward to another Canadian firearms manufacturing company quite a while back. They didn't seem to receptive to the idea due to (in their opinion) the minuscule demand in the Canadian market.

I'd like to think the potential for success with this type of firearm was greatly underestimated by them. There is a HUGE market gap to be filled here (providing it's priced less than what's currently available). We have Desert Tech and then we have.... that's right, NOTHING.

I'd love to see it happen but the only problem I see is the ability to manufacture this with a sub 3k price tag. But I see no reason why it can't be done for a lot less than a Desert Tech.

Keep the design simple. Start with a short action with choice of 223 or 308 bolt face. Use AICS magazines and possibly a simple quick change barrel system like the Savage barrel nut that would allow the user to have different caliber barrels and change them himself with nothing more than a vise, wrench and headspace gauges.

I'd be in for something like this.
    The problems I see is that demand will be very low and as a consequence the costs of R&D will have to be spread over a very small number of guns, which rather effectively kills the sub $3k part, unless a person is ok with crap which I am very doubtful Rick will have any part of. In converstaion with him the programming costs and fixtures for the Sporter still ran close to $50K.
    To start up something totally different from what they already do would likely cost significantly more I would guess. Apart from mags everything would need to be made from scratch and given that they appear to be fully immersed in making Sporter for the next year or so anyway, don't see them taking on more expensive high risk projects.
    When I picked up my Sporter lower he was grumbling about having to back burner his treasured 20mm project due to not enough time of machines.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    I don’t see how this is a huge market at all. It’s not even a huge market in the USA and the idea that a high quality rifle of this sort would be meaningfully cheaper than 3k is probably a pipe dream.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast