Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of a Canadian Made Bullpup Bolt Action?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    Would it be possible to take an existing action and modify it so it no longer fit into a regular chassis and then build a bullpup chassis around the modified action? I’m thinking like what you did with the DA 50 uppers. Just throwing ideas out there.
    as far as I know... that would qualify as a bullpup stock/chassis and would become a prohibitted device.
    Now if you were prototyping and the action was being molded or machined to be a bullpup configuration..... i'm pretty sure this would not be illegal and is why we have bullpup firearms today.
    For years , the bullpup design was seemed verboten here in canada when all stocks on the market that fit various popular firearms were deemed prohibitted devices. Was a sad day
    Not sure how one would go about the prototyping but the action and body that make it bullpup will have to be machined in a one piece unit I'm thinking. I don't mind being corrected though.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Given that our shops capacity is booked up for the next year or more I don't see this happening.
    The other issue I see is the bullpup bolt action market in Canada is minute at best and unless there was a SIGNIFICANT number of guys demanding such a thing no-one will bother to invest the resources in even the R&D.
    For a small boutique shop such as ours sub $3k is not even a wildest dream. To get into that sort of price area is something someone like Salvage or Mushberg or NEA would need to get on board with.
    Guys you need to understand 1 very basic reality of the firearms industry in Canada. Canada has a tiny potential when it comes to firearms sales. With a small number of sales the costs of R&D along with the fixture costs can only get divided up by a small number of guns, which increases the cost. Economies of scale is the term.
    Add this to the fact that a small shop like ours who pays a premium labor cost, building rent and insurance all equates to a more expensive product.
    IF we had access to the US market and were to outsource many of the parts like stocks, mags and small parts to China or some of the Pacific rim countries it would help to reduce the cost of the rifle overall. HOWEVER in order to do this the numbers need to be there, which they aren't so we are back to square 1. Which is why there is this gap already. IF there was enough of a market do you not think that one of the big makers would not have seized the opportunity?

IF we could get enough guys willing to crowd fund a project it might be worth looking into further, but my pockets are only so deep and to try and take on a LARGE undertaking like this is just not in the cards at this time or for the foreseeable future.
    Is there any specific reason why you're not able to tap into the US market?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Is there any specific reason why you're not able to tap into the US market?
    2 BIG reasons. BATFE has deemed all of our rifles as "weapons of war" despite the fact we have never sold any of our guns to any military. By this designation our guns are not legal to import on a permanent basis into the USA.
    2nd reason, our insurer Lloyds of London has put a cluase into our policy basically stating they do not want any liability claims coming from the "land of the lawsuit". God forbid some US citizen hurts themselves with our gun. Maybe they insured MacDonalds at 1 time and got "burned" For us to export to the USA would increase our insurance premiums 10 fold.
    This is the reason we no longer are the North American distributor for DSR, they were reluctant to ship to North America to begin with. We signed a Non Re-export document but someone in Canada exported a DSR to the USA after we sold it to them and DSR found out, so what there is of DSR product in North America is all there ever will be.
    Gotta love lawyers sometimes.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    2 BIG reasons. BATFE has deemed all of our rifles as "weapons of war" despite the fact we have never sold any of our guns to any military. By this designation our guns are not legal to import on a permanent basis into the USA.
    2nd reason, our insurer Lloyds of London has put a cluase into our policy basically stating they do not want any liability claims coming from the "land of the lawsuit". God forbid some US citizen hurts themselves with our gun. Maybe they insured MacDonalds at 1 time and got "burned" For us to export to the USA would increase our insurance premiums 10 fold.
    This is the reason we no longer are the North American distributor for DSR, they were reluctant to ship to North America to begin with. We signed a Non Re-export document but someone in Canada exported a DSR to the USA after we sold it to them and DSR found out, so what there is of DSR product in North America is all there ever will be.
    Gotta love lawyers sometimes.
    Lame. Not you guys, batfe. Thanks for the explanation though.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Lame. Not you guys, batfe. Thanks for the explanation though.
    Not lame at all (if you're an American business). It's called protectionism. Something the people running this sell out country we call Canada know nothing about.
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 10-19-2018 at 08:19 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Not lame at all (if you're an American business). It's called protectionism. Something the people running this sell out country we call Canada know nothing about.
    Totally!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Other than being expensive, what is the problem with the Desert Tech rifles?
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I would be in if there were more entry model types available. I would love a bullpup 22 drum mag
    SINGLE ISSUE VOTER. Vote CPC or gun bans I'd rather be judged my 12 than carried by 6.
    A guide to filing an ATIP:
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...n-ATIP-Federal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    There are plenty of semi auto bullpups cheaper than 3k, how hard could it be to make a manual action? It’s not rocket appliances.
    Most of those were designed for a military contract and made for the world market.

You’re talking about a Canada only precision rifle. Just a good barrel is 500+, even if you could work around an existing trigger that’s a few hundred, and the chassis will be a substantial cost. You need to make a good profit per item to cover your investment so these aren’t going to come out too cheap.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
    Most of those were designed for a military contract and made for the world market.

You’re talking about a Canada only precision rifle. Just a good barrel is 500+, even if you could work around an existing trigger that’s a few hundred, and the chassis will be a substantial cost. You need to make a good profit per item to cover your investment so these aren’t going to come out too cheap.
    Have you seen the Jard rifles ? But seriously, I would be very interested in buying one. A business currently making chassis systems could incorporate a new design with less cost than starting from scratch but yes it won't be cheap. Someone just has to design it. Plastic mold or aluminum chassis. Its not technically difficult. It just takes a plan and a desire to follow through. Having a supply chain already in existence would be a game changer. MDT ?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast