Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Robinson Armament XCR-M, SCAR Killer?

CGN frequent flyer
    Liked my XCR-M .308 so much I got the XCR-L Comp .223 Wylde and 6.5 Grendel no problems shoot tight groups and both triggers are like a two stage 4.5lbs on final let off with no over travel , double taps at two hundred are within two inches of each other with both
    If it was not for the restricted thing I would not own an AR, had so many problems with it.
    Just save the dough and buy one you will not be disappointed

Well shoot...Arm you may have sold me. For someone who has just about one of everything, that is some very high praise indeed.
    I am a kit hor(der)

I have an XCR-L keymod in 7.62*39 and love it. My only complaint is the stupid front takedown pin.
    Why they wouldn't have made a captured pin is beyond me.
    Love the ergos and the bolt release will spoil you.
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”
    ~George Orwell

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frabill View Post
    XCR with the ACR stock looks perfect.
    I agree. Since I added the ACR stock, the only thing I don't like about my 9"-barreled M is the hokey barrel-retention setup. If they went with something more like the ACR barrel retention, the XCR would be a great gun. As it is, it's a pretty good gun.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm&Gun View Post
    In my opinion, I would say definitely upgrade your model to keymod/mlok and maybe a light barrel, but don't abandon the platform. The Stag is wicked for Canada and I'm doing a build too, but not at the expense of my xcr. If I could only have one gun, it would be a xcr. Honestly as far as I'm concerned the xcr offers everything the stag does, but in a far more modern and refined package. Again I don't know if the same accuracy is possible, so if you plan is an ultra accurate, long range semi auto rig - maybe go Stag, but for anything else I would take the xcr every time. The ergo's are amazing. They're the one gun I don't do anything to. No bad lever, or ambi short throw safety, or aftermarket charging handle; everything's perfect out of the box. Non recip charging handle, full monolithic upper with uninterrupted pic rail, folds out of the box and is fully functional while folded. Would be nice to have more trigger options, but it's probably the best factory trigger I've used, and I've heard RobArms has recently been looking into more aftermarket trigger options for their platform.

Dead nuts reliable (in my experience, and with cheap surplus/steel ammo). I've played with the stocks, but I just like variety in that respect, and they pop on and off with one bolt so it's super simple. You can still swap uppers just as easily as an AR can, with the added benefit of swapping barrels too.

Personally, I think these are highly underrated in both Canada and the states. A youtube channel called Small Arms Solutions has reviewed almost all the high end modern semi's and even did one on the xcr platform. He had the same opinion; that the XCR was highly underrated and unfortunately seemed to be the industry's "best kept secret". I would have been skeptical of his opinion if that was the only video I'd watched, but I got a bit sucked in and watched a bunch. He knows his stuff. Definitely worth a watch given there's an apparent lack of reliable reviews on the XCR out there.

I have more than my fair share of modern semi's, and the XCR would be the last one I'd let go of. Not in terms of rarity or collectability (not particularly hard to replace being an in-production gun), but as a do-all gun that's still one of the most fun to shoot. ie if the government could actually take away all but one of my guns, this is the one I would hang onto.
    Anyone else have opiniona on the XCR compared to the Stag 10? I was really looking into buying a Stag until I saw this thread. Thanks OP.

CaptainGoose, all the comments here are nothing comparing to when you actually hold, shoot and feel the ergonomics of XCR platform, spoils you bad lol, especially the newer models like 2017 and up, it's far from sporting rifle, this thing is made for war. When I purchased AR-10 types before I always needed spare part kits. With XCR platform Robinson Armament staff said I don't need any parts, the rifle is complete and ready for hell and back, shoot it, shoot it and have lots of fun with it, it's impervious to types of ammo, shoots sub MOA groups with quality ammo, etc (read all three parts of the review again and slowly contemplate all review steps done by the author of the article)...my 2 cents.
    One more thought to ad, if you are a reloader, XCR is very mild on brass at medium to lower gas setting, no difference comparing to bolt rifles, other semi-auto platforms will chew it up and spit it out damaged to various degrees.

CGN Regular
    Thanks anton! The more I am reading into this rifle the more I like it. What is the difference between the newer 2017 models and the previous ones? I just started watching some youtube videos on this gun and looked at a few ads of people selling their XCRs here on CGN.

2017 updates from the web :
    "One thing the XCR brings to the table that I have discussed before is a shelf in the bolt carrier, which prevents the bolt from trying to complete its turning move before it can lock, which reduces friction and greatly eases feeding", other improvement is updated "accuracy capability" which is available for installation in older models for a fee, added quick caliber exchange options, etc... If you're buying an XCR here on CGN just verify that the rifle is newer model and hasn't been torture tested, buying from a member who has excellent feedback from other members is usually a good start.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    The XCR is a decent rifle, but I wouldn't take one over my ACR in the lighter calibers, hense why I sold my keymod XCR as soon as I got the ACR.

For .308 sized rifles the Massoud/KRG Fox-42 (.308 ACR) and the SCAR17 are not available in Canada yet, so the XCR-M's only direct competition is the NR AR-10's. If you can't afford both, I would go with the AR10 simply because you are not limited to what the factory will offer and it has a long standing reputation for great accuracy potential. The latter really means alot to me in a .308 platform, and unfortunately this is about the first review I have ever seen to suggest that the XCR is even worth running premium ammo through it, typically its regarded as a modern day main battle rifle and doesn't really fit into the DMR frame work all that well.

Even worse is now Desert Tech has introduced the MDR. It is the ACR and XCR's lost potential realized and improved, as well as accurized, then put in a compact bullpup format. Unfortunately there is the one rifle that should make any non-collector sell off his ACR, XCR, Scar, AR15/10, etc. Its the best of every design with out any of the negatives unless you are incapable of training yourself to load the mag behind the grip. Haha

Personally I am glad RA's XCR is loosing traction in canada do to recent changes in competition, hopefully it will drive them to bring back the m96 stoner 63 clone and actually fullfill their prior commitments to it. Now there is a platform worth having in the collection imo.
    Last edited by onetwentyish; 10-25-2018 at 03:18 AM.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Regular
    Thanks for your opinion onetwentyish! What changes in competition are you talking about?

Some criticisms of the XCR