Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How Strong is bulk Kevlar? How Powerful is the 9mm Luger?

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Half of the vests have no size or what is not rated? Condition ? Level of protection?
    The vest on the site are all of the Irish level 4 vests. We do not post condition, we use pictures to display this.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SIGP2101's Avatar
    Were those round nose FMJ or round nose copper plated bullets?

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Fmj

How can you cut this stuff? Will very sturdy scissors or a box knife cut it?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman1984 View Post
    Was the 5.56 round a Green tip?
    I doubt it would matter. Its the velocity that makes it zip through. You need something that breaks up the bullet in order to catch it.
    Correct that pretty much any 5.56 would penetrate that vest like paper. Not so much about needing to break a bullet in order to catch it. Throw the round slow enough and the kevlar will 'catch' it without deforming the round at all.

IT's not all about the velocity. I bet a 5.56 travelling under 800 FPS would still penetrate that vest as long as it was stable and not tumbling.

There are a lot of variables that affect whether something will or won't penetrate. Elasticity of the projectile being an important one. Relative hardness of the projectile in relation to the target being another.

I did a test of 5.56 AP rds on 3/4" ballistic Fibreglass (think kevlar, but laminated into a solid board) and it was still doing complete penetrations at under 500FPS.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman1984 View Post
    Was the 5.56 round a Green tip?
    I doubt it would matter. Its the velocity that makes it zip through. You need something that breaks up the bullet in order to catch it.
    Correct that pretty much any 5.56 would penetrate that vest like paper. Not so much about needing to break a bullet in order to catch it. Throw the round slow enough and the kevlar will 'catch' it without deforming the round at all.

IT's not all about the velocity. I bet a 5.56 travelling under 800 FPS would still penetrate that vest as long as it was stable and not tumbling.

There are a lot of variables that affect whether something will or won't penetrate. Elasticity of the projectile being an important one. Relative hardness of the projectile in relation to the target being another.

I did a test of 5.56 AP rds on 3/4" ballistic Fibreglass (think kevlar, but laminated into a solid board) and it was still doing complete penetrations at under 500FPS.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234