Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV - PressPass review

Bit heavy for a 223

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KePet View Post
    Mine as well. Just wondering why 3 or 5 makes a difference. I see people say this all the time and I fail to understand how this is relevant. If a gun shoots 1 MOA that means 1 MOA. If it's 3 MOA, then it's 3 MOA. I've never bought or built a rifle that was 1 MOA for the first 3 rounds, and then it became a 3 MOA rifle for the next 2 rounds, and then if you shoot a 10 round group it's a 4 MOA rifle.
    The reason is people shoot a 3 round group, have one tight group and claim it shoots 1 MOA. They say the rest of the groups were poor because of a flyer or wind or whatever cognitive dissonance they can think of.

If you want to read an excellent write up about it.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Davy Crockett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KePet View Post
    Mine as well. Just wondering why 3 or 5 makes a difference. I see people say this all the time and I fail to understand how this is relevant. If a gun shoots 1 MOA that means 1 MOA. If it's 3 MOA, then it's 3 MOA. I've never bought or built a rifle that was 1 MOA for the first 3 rounds, and then it became a 3 MOA rifle for the next 2 rounds, and then if you shoot a 10 round group it's a 4 MOA rifle.
    I think the thought process is more shots = larger sample size = more precise average. Just better stats really, helps weed out the outliers. There are some who advocate for 10 shot groups in accuracy testing.
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Davy Crockett". Use on this board in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board. Any use outside this forum, in whole or in part, requires my express written consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    I think the thought process is more shots = larger sample size = more precise average. Just better stats really, helps weed out the outliers. There are some who advocate for 10 shot groups in accuracy testing.
    Oh, I get all that. But telling us that the accuracy wasn't as good because they shot 5 shot groups and not 3 shot groups? If it's a 3 MOA gun, just tell us it's a 3 MOA gun. The 5 shot groups tell us more than 3 shot groups about the accuracy potential of the rifle - yes, definately. But 3 shot or 5 shot is not an excuse for a lack of accuracy. Heck, why don't we just go to 1 shot groups and every rifle will be MOA.

Barrel break-in. This may affect your accuracy. I've read it all, and I'm still not sure I believe it - but that's just me. Light bullets in a tight twist - yep, that may affect accuracy. (although this is more an issue with heavy bullets in a slower twist. I'm not sure about "overspinning" the bullet - but again that's just me) Using cheap bulk ammo, instead of match grade - definately. But when talking about accuracy 3 or 5 rounds shouldn't make a difference if you are being honest. personally I use 5 rounds minimum. And try to do at least 5 groups so that I'm confident in my results.
    My wife calls me a pessimist. I claim I'm a realist. But I'm probably just an a$$hole with an attitude problem.

Expired Business Rep
    From our testing the rifle is 2moa, your mileage may vary depending on ammo used. American eagle printed larger groups than ppu for example even though both were 55gr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12