Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I now call it my 1.8K 260.... ( R7 review )

I now call it my 1.8K 260.... ( R7 review )

Hi folks!

I went a few times down south and met a buddy that most people around here probably heard of. Frank Galli from Sniper`s Hide.
    I was trying stuff for a new build.
    He convinced me to get a 260REM instead of a 6.5CM. He is a big fan of that caliber.
    He is also a big fan of CADEX. I tried them many times at SHOT or Valcartier. It was clear.

When I came back it was clear in my mind what I wanted. An R7 action, Bartlein barrel profiled by Cadex and a CADEX 2 stage trigger and MX-1 muzzle brake.
    I used Bartlein barrels in the past and they never let me down.

I already had the CADEX UNITIZED SCOPE RINGS for my scope. Solid scope base! No issues there. The base has a lug to prevent any slip from the mount to the rail.
    Installation was easy. Levels where all good to go.

I ordered a SHEEPDOG R7 barreled action at CADEX DEFENSE last year to Patrice. 260REM, 26"barrel.
    I picked it up this winter to finally start putting together my 2019 project.

Got installed in the new magpul 700-PRO chassis. Obviously this review will not be about this chassis. Feel free to PM me any quastions about the chassis system.

The barreled action came with the latest new Cadex 2 stage trigger, 20 MOA rail and AWESOME and very effective MX-1 muzzle brake.

FIRST DAY AT THE RANGE

First day consisted of zeroing my optic and a quick load dev.
    I knew what velocity I was looking for. And did an OCW test with about 8 charges going from 42.2 to 43.2.
    Settled at 2832FPS.

This is not a reload review so I will pass on the details.
    RIGHT of the bat this gun was already 1/2MOA at the first 30 rounds!!! No mather what charge and OAL I was shooting in it.
    The barrel did settle after 40-50 rounds and the perfect 1/3-1/4MOA load got found.
    Was fun to have Richard from CADEX shop with me that day to actually see the product performances.

Amazing results.

The bolt feels really good. 4 lugs and a 50 degrees throw. Not to hard to lift. Super tight lock up.
    2 stage DX2 EVO trigger is very good. I came from single stage triggers so I had to adapt. But the adjustability is great and will perfectly fit most needs.
    Action got topped with a CADEX 20MOA rail. 4 screws. And the thing has 2 lugs to secure it perfectly to the action. This rail will never move!

5 shots zeroing.

Higher velocity ( 3 rounds group )

5 shots group at around 30 rounds.

The muzzle brake works really well. Straight back recoil. Almost no muzzle rise. I could stay on target with very little mouvement in the reticle all the way to 1.8k.

SECOND DAY AT THE RANGE

So I was in CFB Valcartier for a shoot. Awesome day. Great guys around me all day.
    We had targets from about 350M all the way up to about 2.1KM for the 338 and 50 guys.

I started close to verify and confirm my ballistic app numbers.
    350 to 600 meters was a piece of cake with this top shelf rifle.

So I asked around to a few friends of mine at what max distance they pushed their 260 in the past. Most of them it was at around 1400M.
    Weather was not super great... Bit of rain fishtail winds from the back... cloudy... then sunny... then cross winds... ehhh

Well why not... I started to engage the 1.1k then the 1.5k targets. Rifle did awesome!!! Super accurate and the trigger was excellent to brake thoses precise shots. I had 2 spotters...
    Then I said to my spotters... Let`s go for the 1750M one!

First 3 rounds all got within 1 meter from the target. I was hitting the legs of the plate holding system. 4th round hit!!!!! Chased the wind for another 2 and then got a second hit at the 7th!!. Stopped after that.

I was already in the 338 territory and my expectations at that distance with a 260 where already supersede. Felt great to hit. But I knew that I was not in the effective range anymore. 4 sec flight time... 900fps... Well you know... eh!

But one thing is for sure. This system is up to the taks for sure. Very impressed.... As much as my 2 spotters and friends that day. haha

CONCLUSION

This setup is very accurate and repeatable. Everything is well build and put together. Accuracy of this barrel is amazing. Barrel profiling looks amazing.
    CERAKOTE color is bad ass! New CADEX TAN looks great.

Sheepdog action is just great! Super solid lock up. Feeds perfectly. I used accumag ( or AICS with no front plates ) 10 rounds and load at 2.850''. Loads up to 2.9 would feed no problem. The CADEX action feed ramp will allow you to load long and feed perfectly. I had to modify my remington action back in the days shooting long 308 TMK`s loads. Well not this time. They thought about it.

Honestly I have nothing negative so far to say about the R7 ( sheepdog ) line. Very good product and I would recommend it to anyone.

And as the barrel really settles in after 100 rounds. It can only get better and consistant.

1.8KM target.

1.1KM target.

1.5KM target

Special thanks to Patrice, Richard and Phil.
    Last edited by Cpt.Flan; 06-02-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Ducimus

Awesome build, congratulations! This rifle shoots like a laser. Interesting combo with a Cadex barrelled action and a Magpul stock, I really like it.

Uber Super GunNutz davide montini's Avatar
    Very nice rig....I too watch his videos ....I like how he talks ...and yes the 260 is nice ..what 50..60 fps faster
    I’ve been considering a build like that ....looked at the accuracy international....and at pgw.....
    With a horrible shoulder injury...I will be shooting 6.5’s or 260...even then not sure if I will be able to shoot
    But again very very nice rig ......I’d like to hold a rig like that one day and see how it feels
    viva la FICA ..E va fan culo!!!!!..Ontario government is like the nazis ..too many family and friends in the government...it's who you know and blow

Quote Originally Posted by davide montini View Post
    Very nice rig....I too watch his videos ....I like how he talks ...and yes the 260 is nice ..what 50..60 fps faster
    I’ve been considering a build like that ....looked at the accuracy international....and at pgw.....
    With a horrible shoulder injury...I will be shooting 6.5’s or 260...even then not sure if I will be able to shoot
    But again very very nice rig ......I’d like to hold a rig like that one day and see how it feels
    It feels really solid. When you close the bolt of that rifle you get that sound like everything is one solid piece.
    Ducimus

Very nice looking rig!

Awesome review! Impressive to say the least.
    Take the red pill.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Nice !

Looks awesome! Great write up,
    Main Rifle: 700 Mountain Rifle DM chambered in 260 Rem, Vortex Razor 2-10×40 HD LH, Timney 512 Trigger, Pillar and Glass bedded,

I enjoyed that. Nice rifle.
    Hi, my name is Mark and I'm a gun-whore.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Good write up. Interesting.
    "He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."
    - Thomas Paine

"Oppression maketh a wise man mad"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast