Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter dedicated rimfire upper UPDATE NOV 7

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    I personally wouldnt go with. Conversion bolt setup if you are planning to go under 18.6".
    I think you're asking for legal trouble since it can still fire 223 in less than 15 seconds.. it's a huge risk in my opinion.
    Jp is the logical option here with their dedicated 22lr barrel
    I agree!! Not worth the risk in my opinion. Even IF it is legal the lawyer bills can be staggering if things go wrong with the wrong LE encounter.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

I think I'll go with a JP kit to get their dedicated 22lr barrel, and put on a magpul fixed stock. By my guess the rifle length will be about 34" +/-
    I'm trying to get it as short as legally possible but can't find any barrels offered by JP shorter than the 18" offered in the 22lr kit.

Anyone know of alternatives, or am I getting a gunsmith to trim the length of the barrel?

Is ATRS planning on offering or suggesting products to build a dedicated 22lr with the MS?

Quote Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
    I think I'll go with a JP kit to get their dedicated 22lr barrel, and put on a magpul fixed stock. By my guess the rifle length will be about 34" +/-
    I'm trying to get it as short as legally possible but can't find any barrels offered by JP shorter than the 18" offered in the 22lr kit.

Anyone know of alternatives, or am I getting a gunsmith to trim the length of the barrel?

Is ATRS planning on offering or suggesting products to build a dedicated 22lr with the MS?
    As stated previously , we are looking at this, but unfortunately it takes time. As soon as we have anything back from SFSS , JP and some other sources we will post it.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by ColinD View Post

You can get barrels as short as 4.5 inches. I'm just trying to remember who offers them off the top of my head. Maybe CMMG?

Edit: yeah its cmmg. You can get 4.5" 9" 16" and 20"
    .22lr chambered barrel with dedicated bcg kits
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 09:21 AM.

TNA sell dedicated .22LR uppers that you could strip and move all the parts over.

Thank you for starting this thread. I own a CMMG kit and found it to be "ok" with my generic AR, but not as smooth as the SU-22 in my collection, which uses very similar magazines.

Since I have 3 uppers coming, I think I will have a 22 setup built. Looking forward to the options to be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Another 22lr option to consider is the 2A Armament dedicated 22lr kit. It's a really lightweight kit with 7oz titanium bcg and 13oz 16.5" fluted barrel that's an aluminum barrel with a steel pencil barrel insert.

https://2a-arms.com/collections/ar-2...rrel-black-kit

I have no idea where to get one though
    This is exactly what I need. We need to work on getting this in Canada. But at the same time I'm certainly interested in a 12.5 inch or so or whatever is the minimum length with a collapsed buttstock

The interpretation by the SFSS guys regarding short barrels in 22 LR on our MV and MS.

We tried.

Good afternoon Rick,

Your question has been referred to me. I understand the specific question to be the classification of a rifle with a 22 Long Rifle (rimfire) barrel mounted on the receiver of a semiautomatic centre fire rifle (the Modern Sporter), temporarily replacing the centre fire barrel. You also mention that the overall length will never be less than 660 mm (26 inches) on folding of telescoping stock models.

Given the above, the provisions which render a rifle a restricted firearm via a folding or telescoping stock, would not apply.

Thus the determining factor, and the precise point of your question, would be whether the 470 mm barrel length provision applies. In this case, I believe it does.

The description of the firearm clearly establishes that it is not a prohibited firearm, but also establishes the underlying firearm is capable of discharging centrefire ammunition in a semiautomatic manner, even though that is not what is intended when the 22LR barrel is installed.

The remaining factor is the length of the barrel, which would result in a restricted firearm classification if the barrel length were less than 470 mm; and with a longer barrel, non-restricted.

So if a non-restricted outcome is desired, the barrel length of the 22LR barrel must be over 470 mm (18.5 inches).

Regards,

Murray A. Smith
    Manager,
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Support Services Directorate
    Canadian Firearms Program
    Specialized Policing Services

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast