Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Modern Sporter dedicated rimfire upper UPDATE NOV 7

Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    That’s pretty much the exact opposite that they told rick when he inquired about it. There’s really no way to permanently disable an AR barrel from firing centrefire ammo without welding the adaptor in place. And even at that a weld can break or easily be cut away. They were denied with a dedicated 22lr barrel.
    Chambering in 22LR?

I figured I'd post this here seeing as how this is about dedicated 22lr MS.

I have built a dedicated 22lr SS upper using Tactical Solutions barrel and bolt. Now that I have about 4000 rds +/- a hundred or so through the pipe I figured I'd share my thoughts. (thanks to all this time off, I get plenty of time in the bush)

First of all, as most may already have read, the bolt needs to be modified by ATRS in order to run in a MS platform. And, as I learned the barrel extension of the Tac Sol 22lr barrel has also got to be turned down in order for my handguard to line up properly with upper. I am using a MRA 13.5" handguard (see pics below)

My first outing with the firearm was somewhat what I might have expected, there were lots of misfires. The vast majority being light primer strikes, about every ten or so shots, sometimes a few in a row. I figured that was just the nature of a 22lr build using the MS platform, I was still very happy overall. I took her back home, cleaned her up and locked it away till next time. The next outing was a very different outcome. Between myself, a friend and his daughter we put well over a thousand rounds through using a wide variety of ammo. In that entire day we had exactly zero issues. The ammo we used was... CCI mini mag. CCI clean, federal value pack, CCI AR tactical, Remington golden bullet, and Winchester. The mags I used are Black Dog and CMMG, I have 5 of each mag and used them equally. Both brands are 30rd and both ran flawlessly. Touching on the mags for a second, I found out that someone came up with a 3D print design to help load these particular mags, I am going to try to get my hands on one or two because they look to be thumb savers.

I shoot this rifle every other day now. There might be a light primer strike or ftf every several hundred rounds or so. 30rd mag dumps are fun too, there is the odd time a case doesn't full eject. Overall a very reliable .22lr rifle.

The build is as follows
    UPPER
    SS
    Tac Sol bolt
    Tac Sol barrel
    Tac Sol muzzel break (mainly for looks)
    MRA handguard
    Raptor charging handle.

LOWER
    SSA-E trigger
    V7 titanium hardware and countrols
    Daniel Defense furniture

Using a Nikon FX1000 BLACK 1-4x in a Nightforce uni mount.

This is hands down my favorite rifle, even more so than my beloved center fire MS build I made for 3 gun.
    I know there was a bit of an upset in regard to the frt for a 22lr MS, I'm not sure if ATRS are still planning on coming up with a design to address this but I have a couple ideas if they end up reading this....

Make a dedicated 22lr lower that will accept existing uppers. Do away with the bolt catch/release, and instead of using a buffer tube have a 1913 rail for a stock instead. Maybe have it so a center fire bolt would not be able to fit in this lower to get the needed frt, even if the 22lr bolt needs further modifications, they already do anyways.

A NR 26" oal 22lr MS would be God tier

Name:  IMG_20191130_215233.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  51.9 KB
    Last edited by ColinD; 04-19-2020 at 03:49 PM.

CGN Regular
    I put in a JP bolt/barrel combo, modified by ATRS as well.
    Used an ALG ACT trigger with the lighter spring. Black dog magazines as well. Only 22 rounds sadly (just bought a few weeks ago from SFRC). I greased the heck out of the bolt.
    Only my son had any issues.
    Only have Magpul sights at the moment
    Finally got out last weekend for about 1/2 hour with my 4 year old son and we each did 4 mag dumps into the side of a hill. I wanted to get the sights tuned in but my son is way too impatient to let me focus and I only had 1/2 hour. Was just happy to see it function. I hade tried to feed snap caps at home and they totally failed so I was a little nervous and as a previous owner of a chiappa 22 upper I’d already faced the worst. Used some cheap Winchester cj hollow point high velocity that my 10/22 hated. It’s all I have at the moment.
    Anyway totally flawless for me.
    My son seems to be able to trick the trigger into not resetting then we need to yank the charging handle and pop a round out and go again. It happened once to me but couldn’t replicate when I tried to. It feels like safety on when that happens.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678