Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter dedicated rimfire upper UPDATE NOV 7

I bought 1 lower and 2 uppers.
    My plans are a super light weight .223 and a 26" .22lr
    I may just add another lower into my order and have 2 complete rifles

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    The interpretation by the SFSS guys regarding short barrels in 22 LR on our MV and MS.

We tried.

Good afternoon Rick,

Your question has been referred to me. I understand the specific question to be the classification of a rifle with a 22 Long Rifle (rimfire) barrel mounted on the receiver of a semiautomatic centre fire rifle (the Modern Sporter), temporarily replacing the centre fire barrel. You also mention that the overall length will never be less than 660 mm (26 inches) on folding of telescoping stock models.

Given the above, the provisions which render a rifle a restricted firearm via a folding or telescoping stock, would not apply.

Thus the determining factor, and the precise point of your question, would be whether the 470 mm barrel length provision applies. In this case, I believe it does.

The description of the firearm clearly establishes that it is not a prohibited firearm, but also establishes the underlying firearm is capable of discharging centrefire ammunition in a semiautomatic manner, even though that is not what is intended when the 22LR barrel is installed.

The remaining factor is the length of the barrel, which would result in a restricted firearm classification if the barrel length were less than 470 mm; and with a longer barrel, non-restricted.

So if a non-restricted outcome is desired, the barrel length of the 22LR barrel must be over 470 mm (18.5 inches).

Regards,

Murray A. Smith
    Manager,
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Support Services Directorate
    Canadian Firearms Program
    Specialized Policing Services
    I dont see any mention of the 22lr bolt that is required for this conversion, with that installed the underlying firearm would not be able to feed or fire centre fire ammunition?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Lucky I fat-fingered my (grey market) order for the JP last night. I just put in for a 20" cmmg barrel/bolt instead
    The JP kit with 18" barrel, measures 19 1/8" from bolt face to crown. Gotta love the 22lr chambers.
    Last edited by jjuice; 11-11-2018 at 03:37 PM.

What is not clear in Mr. Murrays interpretation is what configuration he envisioned:

1- some manufacturers supply just a complete BCG with an extended chamber insert which allows the user to shoot 22LR ammo out of a 223 barrel (such as the original Colt 22LR conversion kits). In this case, the barrel remains a centerfire... I can better understand his "I believe"

2- In the case of other manufacturers such as A2 Armament, Tactical Solutions and others, they supply a rimfire specific barrel and BCG which are totally incompatible with centerfire. I such a case, I challenge Mr. Murrays "I believe"...

Perhaps Rick could clarify his initial query to him... to see if there remains an opportunity for a short barrel dedicated 22... food for thought !
    Last edited by Pratique50; 12-23-2018 at 12:24 PM.

CGN Regular
    could always get a gunsmith who can verify firearms to slap it together for you and check off the requirements for NR ( which it meets ). Like they do with prohib pistols and install a longer barrel to make it restricted.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratique50 View Post
    What is not clear in Mr. Murrays interpretation is what configuration he envisioned:

1- some manufacturers supply just a complete BCG with an extended chamber insert which allows the user to shoot 22LR ammo out of a 223 barrel (such as the original Colt 22LR conversion kits). In this case, the barrel remains a centerfire... I can better understand his "I believe"

2- In the case of other manufacturers such as A2 Armament, Tactical Solutions and others, they supply a rimfire specific barrel and BCG which are totally incompatible with centerfire. I such a case, I challenge Mr. Murrays "I believe"...

Perhaps Rick could clarify his initial query to him... to see if there remains an opportunity for a short barrel dedicated 22... food for thought !
    I agree completely with this. Good work.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro75 View Post
    I agree completely with this. Good work.
    On this project we've gone so far as to build up an upper and had a non-restricted child-FRT issued for a rifle that was 26.5" OAL, just in time to release it at TACCOM!....

And then it would appear at the firearms lab that the brass must have lost their #### on that poor fellow... and reversed it, all within 24 hours.

We're not dropping this idea, I'm confident we will overcome this obstacle, but we have to approach it a little differently.
    It's going to take a bit of time, and available machines that we just don't have right now.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast