Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning, how often should I clean my 22s?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGirl View Post
    How often should I clean my .22?. Currently I run the bore snake through after every range day. I clean my .22 rifle and .22 handguns about every third session with G96 treatment and patches.
    That is more than enough cleaning.
    your not going to wear the rifling out of it if thats what your worried about.
    Run a damp (oiled) patch down it after and wipe it down with oiled rag and you are good to go.
    Run a dry patch down it before next trip out.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Slight disagreement with fellow posters. The “dreaded carbon ring” can start to show up with as little as 200 rounds. I was using CCi sv and noticed how quickly it can appear. If you don’t catch it early the harder it is to remove later.

I used to do it religiously - after every trip to the range. Now - not so much - especially if I only put a few hundred rounds through. No issues yet - have been doing it this way for years.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dand883 View Post
    I usually do the same. If you enjoy cleaning them you can do it as much as you like, but generally it comes down to:

Has it gotten wet/muddy?
    Is it acting up, having issues?
    Do i feel like it and have the time?
    Has it been more than a year or two since i cleaned it last?
    This is basically my approach. Excessive bore cleaning can be counterproductive, as it is sometimes necessary to fire fouling shots afterward for best accuracy.

I would not use a bore snake; they can get stuck in the bore. Use a rod and patches, or get one of the Otis kits if you want a pull-through.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grouse Man's Avatar
    Clean the action, trigger, receiver, etc. Clean the barrel gently, and rarely.

Ok, so perhaps I have been cleaning my .22s too much. My Ruger Single six seems to need more cleaning as the bullets are harder and harder to load in the range. When I start with it all cleaned out, I have no issue, but as I put several rounds through it, the ammo is difficult to load, and even more difficult unload. I really have to push hard on the ejector rod.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I'm sure there are some old Cooey 22LRs out there that are cleaned on a once a generation scale.

rugger 10/22, bought in 2007 last cleaned in 2014
    took it up north this year, like every year, worked like charm, not a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGirl View Post
    Ok, so perhaps I have been cleaning my .22s too much. My Ruger Single six seems to need more cleaning as the bullets are harder and harder to load in the range. When I start with it all cleaned out, I have no issue, but as I put several rounds through it, the ammo is difficult to load, and even more difficult unload. I really have to push hard on the ejector rod.
    My smith and wesson 617 is the same way. Probably 100-200 rounds and needs a cleaning
    pandering to paranoia produces pointless prosecutions of people

Quote Originally Posted by tjhaile View Post
    I would not use a bore snake; they can get stuck in the bore. Use a rod and patches, or get one of the Otis kits if you want a pull-through.
    I got one stuck and broken in my service rifle in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by dand883 View Post
    I usually do the same. If you enjoy cleaning them you can do it as much as you like, but generally it comes down to:

Has it gotten wet/muddy?
    Is it acting up, having issues?
    Do i feel like it and have the time?
    Has it been more than a year or two since i cleaned it last?
    Now. I wipe down my guns with oil often. Because I live in a humid area.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast