Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning, how often should I clean my 22s?

How Long: Years.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGirl View Post
    Ok, so perhaps I have been cleaning my .22s too much. My Ruger Single six seems to need more cleaning as the bullets are harder and harder to load in the range. When I start with it all cleaned out, I have no issue, but as I put several rounds through it, the ammo is difficult to load, and even more difficult unload. I really have to push hard on the ejector rod.
    We have a couple of Single Six's that we use when teaching SA revolvers to new shooters at our range. Have the same issue, after 100-200 rounds. It seems that .22's have fairly soft lead and it builds up in the end of the chambers after a while and it starts to require extra push, to get the cartridges seated. We use a bronze or copper wire brush and run it through the chambers, two or three times and that seems to clear it up - 'til the next time. Copper "wash" bullets help a bit - but, only marginally. We have a couple of S&W SA/DA .22 revolvers that we use too - they will eventually have the same issue, but it takes more rounds to do it.

Thank you 'fire@will'! That's exactly it!! I will try the brush technique!

Good to know and I heard .22 are pretty clean to begin with I’m personally going to clean once a year

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Never cleaned the barrel on a .22 in my life

Thank you, fire@will and others. I have only just ordered my S&W so it will be awhile until I receive it but this is all good info!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sgt.rock's Avatar
    If its a semi auto , only when it begins to malfunction due to powder residue buildup. .22 LR is a dirty ammo, so I find blowback operated pistols/rifles do get gummed up after several hundred rounds. I have never cleaned a bolt gun other than a bore snake once at season end.
    My Grandfather always said " Kid...............if you meet more than one arsehole in a day, chances are you are the arsehole. "

I have been cleaning my 10/22 after every trip to the range (100-200 rounds). I definitely have the fouling shot issue and if my rounds cost more then that would be a concern. Maybe I just don't clean it for a while and see what happens.
    Dahsira

Proud Member of Mapleseed
    Qualified Rifleman!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Lol scheduled cleaning...
    I just oil all my guns.
    When the firearm shows signs of requiring it like sluggish action, FTF, FTE then it gets a good cleaning.
    Other than that just more oil
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Lol scheduled cleaning...
    I just oil all my guns.
    When the firearm shows signs of requiring it like sluggish action, FTF, FTE then it gets a good cleaning.
    Other than that just more oil
    Just like car tha burns oil. Lol. My budy had a 80s 323 that burned oil like a bastard. Just kept adding oil and because of the consumption rate it he didn’t bother changing it.
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast