Cleaning, how often should I clean my 22s?

Ok, so perhaps I have been cleaning my .22s too much. My Ruger Single six seems to need more cleaning as the bullets are harder and harder to load in the range. When I start with it all cleaned out, I have no issue, but as I put several rounds through it, the ammo is difficult to load, and even more difficult unload. I really have to push hard on the ejector rod.

We have a couple of Single Six's that we use when teaching SA revolvers to new shooters at our range. Have the same issue, after 100-200 rounds. It seems that .22's have fairly soft lead and it builds up in the end of the chambers after a while and it starts to require extra push, to get the cartridges seated. We use a bronze or copper wire brush and run it through the chambers, two or three times and that seems to clear it up - 'til the next time. Copper "wash" bullets help a bit - but, only marginally. We have a couple of S&W SA/DA .22 revolvers that we use too - they will eventually have the same issue, but it takes more rounds to do it.

If its a semi auto , only when it begins to malfunction due to powder residue buildup. .22 LR is a dirty ammo, so I find blowback operated pistols/rifles do get gummed up after several hundred rounds. I have never cleaned a bolt gun other than a bore snake once at season end.

I have been cleaning my 10/22 after every trip to the range (100-200 rounds). I definitely have the fouling shot issue and if my rounds cost more then that would be a concern. Maybe I just don't clean it for a while and see what happens.

Lol scheduled cleaning...
I just oil all my guns.
When the firearm shows signs of requiring it like sluggish action, FTF, FTE then it gets a good cleaning.
Other than that just more oil :rockOn:

Just like car tha burns oil. Lol. My budy had a 80s 323 that burned oil like a bastard. Just kept adding oil and because of the consumption rate it he didn’t bother changing it.

Back
Top Bottom