CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The NR Modern PCC variant

Super GunNutz

The NR Modern PCC variant

So, one thing I'm missing in my cabinet is a high end Canadian built NR pistol caliber carbine and that got me wondering...

The Modern Series is a well established NR family of rifles and may just need another variant added to the lineup.

Keep the receiver fitment dimensionally the same as the Modern Sporter. Only major change that would be necessary is a redesigned magwell so the lower only accepts pistol mags, preferably Glock. I hate the standard size magwell with a mag adapter. Seems amateur to me.

Incorporating this style of magwell is what I'm thinking:

This would still be able to use common AR pistol caliber bcg, buffer and spring so no major redesign of operating systems or operating system parts should be needed.

Only thing NR length barrels would need to be made special order as there is literally NOTHING available in the required length. Still easily doable though.

Modularity and compatibility with common AR parts would, to the most part, remain unchanged from the MS design.

Only a couple small proprietary parts would be required such as the ejector blade and mag release.

Perhaps offer either an assembled functional build with basic furniture or a bare bones model that would allow the customer to source and install their own furniture.

Obviously this would be completely dependent upon demand. There are plenty of cheap pcc's out there however a higher end build is thus far nonexistent.

Furthermore I could see there being more demand for the Modern PCC than a 22lr specific variant.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 11-08-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added pic

CGN Regular
    They would be priced comparable to the other Modern Sporters, and the JR carbine does almost everythng you described for a third the cost?

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by smally21 View Post
    They would be priced comparable to the other Modern Sporters, and the JR carbine does almost everythng you described for a third the cost?
    Black Leaf Industries makes a PCC that costs a lot more than a JR and they are selling them. Only problem is they are an AR variant so no NR status.

And I had a JR and a few other of the cheaper available NR pcc's and other than my Thureon Defense I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

There are always people out there who want something better than the average of what's available. Just depends if theres enough of them to make a project viable.

CGN Regular
    A NR high-end PCC sounds like a great idea..and then I ask myself what would I do with it? And in what NR situation would I select a pistol calibre over a riflle calibre in a gun I already own. A full length NR barrel kinda spoils the PCC factor, and I suppose I just associate a PCC with range use, steel and competition, which puts me into a restricted gun anyway.
    For those reasons I can't imagine a demand. Not that there needs to be a reason for anything..but can't see alot of buyers.
    Just my thoughts.

Super GunNutz
    And I can't imagine why anyone would want a firearm that would subject them to regulations that would regulate them to use said firearm only on a heavily regulated range.

This is the reason I don't own an AR-15 in this country and the reason I'm ok with paying a decent price for a top quality product that does NOT subject me to restricted regulations.

All those things you can do with your restricted on the range I can do off the range as well. But can you shoot rabbits, gophers or coyotes with your restricted, while it's regulated to the range? A pcc is perfectly capable.

What one individual has or sees no use for another individual does.
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 11-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    And I can't imagine why anyone would want a firearm that would subject them regulations that would regulate them to use said firearm only on a heavily regulated range.

This is the reason I don't own an AR-15 in this country and the reason I'm ok with paying a decent price for a top quality product that does NOT subject me to restricted regulations.

All those things you can do with your restricted on the range I can do off the range as well. But can you shoot rabbits, gophers or coyotes with your restricted, while it's regulated to the range? A pcc is perfectly capable.

What one individual has or sees no use for another individual does.
    I've never seen gophers launched off the ground or out of their holes as nicely as a 124gr hollow point 9mm will do it out of a PCC. They are some much fun. If they would offer a PCC in something along the lines of 10mm auto or similar kinetic energy rounds I wouldn't hesitate using it on deer.
    Step 1: Buy Guns
    Step 2: Get Wife

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    I've never seen gophers launched off the ground or out of their holes as nicely as a 124gr hollow point 9mm will do it out of a PCC. They are some much fun. If they would offer a PCC in something along the lines of 10mm auto or similar kinetic energy rounds I wouldn't hesitate using it on deer.
    ^^^ now here's a guy who understands

Modern Plinker FTW!
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." óJeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Wow the ability to build our own non rest. PCCs would be awesome.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." óJeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

CGN Regular
    I plan on being behind a pcc quite a bit next year both plinking and in competition. The idea of a modern plinker sounds awesome to me. If they could come in around the price of the jp pcc build that would be awesome, but like a lot here I would probably go the build my own route.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast