Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How does an ATT work?

How does an ATT work?

Hi everyone just a newbie question on RPAL and ATT. I致e recently submitted my application to get my rpal but I知 still a bit confused about how atts work. Since I値l probably be getting most of my restricted Firearms online, how does it work for the att? I知 already a member at a local gun club so I値l be able to bring it there. Do I need to request an att for every restricted firearm I purchase? Do I need to request one before I attempt to purchase one online so it can be transported to my house? Also I would be buying restricted Firearms at local stores, would I need an att first to bring that home from the store? Any clarification would be great thanks.

From wiki:

Bill C-42 amended the Firearms Act, which caused ATTs to become a condition of a licence.[4] "Authorizations to Transport become a condition of a licence for certain routine and lawful activities such as target shooting; taking a firearm home after a transfer; going to a gunsmith, gun show, a Canadian port of exit; or a peace officer or a Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) for verification, registration or disposal". Effective September 2, 2015, these changes to the Firearms Act came into force meaning an ATT became a condition of a licence for the foregoing routine and lawful activities. In other words, an ATT is automatically included into any valid RPAL licence.

So an RPAL has a built in ATT for purchase from a store etc. I would still need to request one for transport to my gun range correct?

GunNutz
    Usually, range transport is also built in. A list of conditions, incl. ATT, will be printed on the sheet of paper with RPAL card. Once you buy your first restricted they will update/expand a list of conditions and ATT privileges and send you a new RPAL.

ATT is for transport, RPAL is for purchase.

When your RPAL arrives you are covered for ATT for all of your toys.

After your first restricted purchase you might receive a new RPAL card with the .0001 extension after your number. Maybe designates the addition of the ATT to the card?

CGN Regular
    When you order your first restricted from a business they will initiate the transfer papers from their end. You can phone your Provincial Firearms office from your end if it is your first restricted transfer...but I dont think it is necessary. The business will ship the firearm with a temporary permit to allow the transfer to your home. The CFO will also send you a brand new RPAL with your ATT conditions written on the back and a paper copy of those same conditions included. The permanent registration for the firearm will also come by mail...either before or after firearm arrives. You need your new licence with transport conditions...your Permanent Registration for the gun...and your Range Membership before heading to the range. Also...for whatever reason...you are supposed to have the paper copy of your att which says the same thing as your new RPAL.
    The procedure will probably change under the new law C71 when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    When you order your first restricted from a business they will initiate the transfer papers from their end. You can phone your Provincial Firearms office from your end if it is your first restricted transfer...but I dont think it is necessary. The business will ship the firearm with a temporary permit to allow the transfer to your home. The CFO will also send you a brand new RPAL with your ATT conditions written on the back and a paper copy of those same conditions included. The permanent registration for the firearm will also come by mail...either before or after firearm arrives. You need your new licence with transport conditions...your Permanent Registration for the gun...and your Range Membership before heading to the range. Also...for whatever reason...you are supposed to have the paper copy of your att which says the same thing as your new RPAL.
    The procedure will probably change under the new law C71 when it comes out.
    I disagree with bold text. Can you provide an example?

Underlined text... ATT is attached to the licence and no paper required.

Okay so from what I’m getting is I won’t need to go out of my way to request an ATT or register a restricted firearm if I’m just buying from a business, I would only need to call in to request an ATT if transport to my range isn’t included with my rpal conditions? They really make this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

FYI from an old paper Long Term ATT:

AUTHORIZATION TO TRANSPORT
    RESTRICTED OR PROHIBITED FIREARMS
    Your Authorization to Transport Restricted or Prohibited
    Firearms is printed at the bottom of this page. Read both sides
    of the authorization carefully to ensure that your name and
    other information are correct. If any information is missing or
    unclear, or if the authorization has been damaged in any way,
    return it to the address in the top left corner of this page and we
    will send you a new one. If your address as shown above is
    incorrect or incomplete, let us know by mail or telephone at 1
    800 731-4000. Remove the authorization from the page by
    cutting along the line shown and keep it with the firearms while
    they are being transported.

Conditions et destination(s)
    See conditions. Transport of the restricted firearm(s) and/or prohibited handgun(s) is authorized to
    and from the shooting range that has been approved under Section 29(2) of the
    Firearms Act as indicated on this Authorization to Transport for the purpose of
    target practice and target shooting competitions.
    Firearms must be transported by a route that, in all circumstances, is reasonably
    direct.
    The holder must be in possession of a valid Firearms Licence or Firearms
    Acquisition Certificate.
    The transportation of the firearm(s) must be in accordance with the Storage,
    Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations.
    The holder must be a member in good standing of an approved shooting club or,
    the guest of a member of an approved shooting club.
    See attached page for additional Conditions / Voir la page ci-jointe pour les
    conditions additionnellesThe holder must be in possession of the Registration Certificate(s) for the firearm(s) being transported.
    Firearms may only be loaded and/or carried on your person while you are actively engaged in target practice or a target shooting competition.
    This authorization allows the holder to transport firearms from the place of registration to a Gunsmith licenced as a business under the Firearms
    Act for the purpose of maintenance, repair, modification or deactivation and return to the place of registration.
    This authorization allows the holder to transport firearms to and from border crossings on condition that the holder is in possession of the
    necessary US documentation.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Once you get your PAL call the CFO and get their email address. Send them a copy of your range membership. DON'T WAIT! If it is not on file they WILL NOT call you they will mail you a letter requesting the info. Depending on the province you may or may not need proof to get the transfer completed.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast