Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How does an ATT work?

if only the cfo would put my 12-3 list on my att I would be very happy.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    An ATT works by preventing criminals from carrying handguns. Like to a bank robbery, for instance. No ATT, no handgun in the bank. Easy peasy.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

Quote Originally Posted by Jargo View Post
    Hi everyone just a newbie question on RPAL and ATT. I’ve recently submitted my application to get my rpal but I’m still a bit confused about how atts work. Since I’ll probably be getting most of my restricted Firearms online, how does it work for the att? I’m already a member at a local gun club so I’ll be able to bring it there. Do I need to request an att for every restricted firearm I purchase? Do I need to request one before I attempt to purchase one online so it can be transported to my house? Also I would be buying restricted Firearms at local stores, would I need an att first to bring that home from the store? Any clarification would be great thanks.
    just been through this myself, probably can answer some questions for you.

When you first receive you brand new RPAL it will have a .0001 at the end. There will be no additional conditions attached, no special ATT etc. If memory serves, it will say something like "standard conditions are attached to this license" or something like that.

Whenever you purchase a restricted firearm, you cannot just go to a store plop down your cash, flash your PAL and take it home.

When you purchase your FIRST restricted firearm (assuming from a business) either online or in person, they will take your PAL information and notify the CFP that they are transferring firearm XXXXX from them to you. The CFP will take that info and pass to your CFO who has to approve the transfer. This can take a few days, sometimes a few weeks. In Ontario we aren't required to have a range membership to purchase a restricted, if your province does require it, make sure the CFO has that info. I suspect the retailer you are buying from will get that info from you as well if it's required by the province.

After waiting however long, the store will be sent the Transfer Notification by the CFO giving them authorization to send it to you or allowing you to pick it up and take it home.

Then two more things will happen:

1) A new RPAL will be issued to you, it will be the same number, except it will have .0002 at the end, instead of .0001. This can take a week or two to get to you. That new RPAL will have the text "Standard and transportation conditions are attached to this license" and the piece of paper that comes with it will state additional "SPECIAL CONDITIONS" which include: to and from the range, to and from a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer, to and from a repair or appraisal business, to and from a gun show, to and from any port of exit for purpose of taking them outside of Canada, and transport newly acquired restricted firearms from place of acquisition back home. You should keep a copy of this piece of paper with you, as it is your ATT for going to your range and back.

2) You will be sent a registration certificate for your newly acquired firearm. You should make multiple copies and keep one with the firearm during transporation. You won't have it when you pick it up from the store or from the post office, but the Transfer Notification is your authorization to transport home. I've read varying opinions on whether you need to wait for the registration certificate before taking your new firearm to the range, I won't offer any advice on that.

The process remains the same for any future restricted purchases, except you're not given a new RPAL version. The only difference on a private sale, like here on EE, is that as the buyer you'd be required to call the CFP and confirm your details with them before it's sent to the CFO to approve the transfer.

TLDR: You'll get a temporary ATT to have the firearm sent to you and take home from post office OR pick it up yourself from the retailer when the CFO approves the transfer and you'll get an automatic / permanent ATT which will include as a condition of your RPAL when you are issued a new RPAL after make your first restricted purchase.

Oh, and once bill C-71 passes, I think the only ATT that will remain attached to your RPAL will be to and from the range.
    Last edited by pbruce706; 11-09-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Member: CPC / CCFR / CSSA / NFR

CGN Regular
    I had my my RPAl when c-42 came into effect, and have purchased restricted firearms since but never got the new RPAL. I still had my long term paper ATT, so was not too concerned. I recently moved and called to change adresss and get a STAtt, since my paper att will no longer be valid the new address I asked for a new license with condtions attached, they refused saying it was not necessary since the the condtions are attached electronically, but I believe we still need the little paper that comes with new RPAL, what do you gents think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaberday View Post
    I had my my RPAl when c-42 came into effect, and have purchased restricted firearms since but never got the new RPAL. I still had my long term paper ATT, so was not too concerned. I recently moved and called to change adresss and get a STAtt, since my paper att will no longer be valid the new address I asked for a new license with condtions attached, they refused saying it was not necessary since the the condtions are attached electronically, but I believe we still need the little paper that comes with new RPAL, what do you gents think?
    You mean that little piece of paper that says:

SPECIAL CONDITIONS (continued) Carry this document with your licence card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority.

I carry it, others do not. It doesn't put me out.

CGN Regular
    It’s seems that a new RPAL is required, that is different from the old RPAL to satisfy the law, but hey are telling me that it’s not necessary to get the new RPAL because condtions are attatched electronically, if this true then why did the issue new RPALs ? I think she was mistaken but refused to issue new RPAl any ways, what can I do? Since I don’t have the New RPAl not sure weather the little piece of paper is required to carry or not, but I thought it was.

i am actually curious as to what they are teaching when you take the Rpal course.
    i helped a friend when he teaches the course and that is one of the topics that is covered very thoroughly .
    at the time i had just updated my ATT to include a range in Alberta. so it was a very good teaching point.

now this is in Saskatchewan and my friend has taught for many years.

it just seems to me that there are a lot of questions asked on here that should be covered when taking the Rpal course.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jargo View Post
    Okay so from what I’m getting is I won’t need to go out of my way to request an ATT or register a restricted firearm if I’m just buying from a business, I would only need to call in to request an ATT if transport to my range isn’t included with my rpal conditions? They really make this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
    How To Buy Firearms Online
    <http://www.bullseyelondon.com/buy-online>
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Quote Originally Posted by calibrecarstairs View Post
    ATT is attached to the licence and no paper required.
    Incorrect, you are required to carry the paper that your PAL comes on and lists the conditions attached to your license

Shawn
    Last edited by shawn; 11-10-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Incorrect, you are required to carry the paper that your PAL comes on and lists the conditions attached to your license

Shawn
    You just created/modified a quote which does not exist to further fuel your unquenchable narcissistic ego.

Your thoughts?

Screen shot has you a -1.

edit - correction - you are now -3
    Last edited by calibrecarstairs; 11-10-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast