Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost to upgrade from PAL to RPAL in 2018

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ced1942 View Post
    You can’t have restricted without your law 9 and club membership
    You can in Ontario, first time I have heard of the law 9 .

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarkryptonite View Post
    Got all that, but do you need the law 9 course to obtain the RPAL card in your hand? Is it a requirement on the application form?
    No you don't need your Law 9 to have an RPAL.

This law only applies to anyone who wants to join a Quebec range (for restricted shooting).

BANNED
    Also, sorry to post again, but instead of making a new thread, does anyone know if the law 9 course is mandatory to own a handgun? I just did my regular safety course, and was thinking about doing my restricted course as well, but will not have time this year to do the law 9 course. Would I be able able to get my RPAL by just taking those two courses and not the law 9 for now? If so, that would mean I can not legally own a handgun, or if I could, I can not legally transport it back to my house, is that correct?
    You in Quebec??

Quote Originally Posted by Beauvais98 View Post
    No you don't need your Law 9 to have an RPAL.

This law only applies to anyone who wants to join a Quebec range (for restricted shooting).
    Perfect thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxdj View Post
    You in Quebec??
    Yup.

I personally... not a friend of a friend of some guy... I personally upgraded my freshly renewed PAL to an RPAL this year, I had renewed it I think around December and upgraded around May?. I think my PAL was roughly 5 months renewed when I sent in for my RPAL. They charged my credit card $20.
    I am in Saskatchewan if it matters. Same expiry date as I had prior to the upgrade, it didn't add any extra time. Still expires in 4 years from now come December.
    National Firearms Association Member NFA, Canadian Coalition For Firearms Rights Member CCFR, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member CSSA,
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation Member SWF, Conservative Party of Canada Member CPC

Got all that, but do you need the law 9 course to obtain the RPAL card in your hand? Is it a requirement on the application form?
    You have to do your RPAL first, then the Law 9 course. You can’t be member of a shooting club without having done the law 9 course. And you can’t buy or own restricted without a club membership and law 9 course

Take note that if you take the law 9 course you must go shoot once a year otherwise it expire and you have to do the course again.
    Nop
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1970
    My grandfather never worried about the dents in his mil-surps, he would say "that dent may be all that's left of some fellow's life."

Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    You can in Ontario, first time I have heard of the law 9 .
    Welcome to that ####ty place named Quebec
    My grandfather never worried about the dents in his mil-surps, he would say "that dent may be all that's left of some fellow's life."

BANNED
    Also, sorry to post again, but instead of making a new thread, does anyone know if the law 9 course is mandatory to own a handgun? I just did my regular safety course, and was thinking about doing my restricted course as well, but will not have time this year to do the law 9 course. Would I be able able to get my RPAL by just taking those two courses and not the law 9 for now? If so, that would mean I can not legally own a handgun, or if I could, I can not legally transport it back to my house, is that correct?
    You can own a gun just not shoot it in Quebec till you have your Law 9

Quote Originally Posted by Ridersfan View Post
    I personally... not a friend of a friend of some guy... I personally upgraded my freshly renewed PAL to an RPAL this year, I had renewed it I think around December and upgraded around May?. I think my PAL was roughly 5 months renewed when I sent in for my RPAL. They charged my credit card $20.
    I am in Saskatchewan if it matters. Same expiry date as I had prior to the upgrade, it didn't add any extra time. Still expires in 4 years from now come December.
    Perfect thank you!

Thanks for the response. EDIT: Apparently you cannot own a restricted without law 9.

Nop
    Great thanks!
    Last edited by Sugarkryptonite; 11-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.

You can’t be member of any shooting club without your law 9. And you can’t aquire restricted firearm without being member of a shooting club. So no you can’t own restricted firearm without your law 9

Edit: this include everything to answer OP question and future question
    https://www.fqtir.qc.ca/en/shooting/bill9-training.php
    Last edited by Ced1942; 11-20-2018 at 04:38 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast