Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost to upgrade from PAL to RPAL in 2018

I wanted to downgrade from a rpal to a pal to save the $20 after I sold off my handguns and they told I had to go through the whole new applicant process including references instead of processing it as a renewal.
    Apparently any change in license class whether up or down requires the applicant to undergo the new applicant process including references and the whole 9 yards.
    Maybe the cfo will downgrade it automatically as I don't belong to a club or own any restricteds (nor do I intend to in Canada ever again) in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by win94luver View Post
    I wanted to downgrade from a rpal to a pal to save the $20 after I sold off my handguns and they told I had to go through the whole new applicant process including references instead of processing it as a renewal.
    Apparently any change in license class whether up or down requires the applicant to undergo the new applicant process including references and the whole 9 yards.
    Maybe the cfo will downgrade it automatically as I don't belong to a club or own any restricteds (nor do I intend to in Canada ever again) in due course.
    What is your problem with having rpal but no restricteds?
    May 1st 2020, clear proof;
    Registration leads to confiscation!

Quote Originally Posted by 2lowr1ders View Post
    Hi, I upgraded mine within a year of getting my PAL, and it only cost me an extra $40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidearm Sambo View Post
    Yes i renewed my PAL and the less than a year later i took my RPAL. RCMP said fee was only $40 due to renewal being less than a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    If it has been less than a year since you got your PAL it will be $20. If it has been more than that it will be the full $80.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sner View Post
    Just did my rpal this weekend and the instructor was saying its the full $80.00 to send in for the rpal if you have already sent in your pal
    4 Different answers, damn lol. greywolf67nt have you actually done it yourself? Where did you hear it was $20? 2lowr1ders and Sambo, what years did you upgrade to RPAL's in?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    I've never heard of such a course... I'm guessing you're I n Quebec?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Ced1942 View Post
    You can’t have restricted without your law 9 and club membership
    Just to clarify, you mean we can't OWN a restricted without law 9 and club membership, right?

From what I understand and reading on the Federation Quebec de Tir website, law 9 is not mandatory to get a PAL with restricted classification on it:

Law 9 - Mandatory for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)? Or for work?
    No. However, it is mandatory if you want to join a shooting club or acquire a restricted firearm.
    Or is it required in the RPAL application to send in proof of Law 9 completion?

At this point in time I'm just interested in getting the classification on my PAL, don't need to get a handgun or even fire one at this time, I will do law 9 later next year.

Just to clarify, you mean we can't OWN a restricted without law 9 and club membership, right?

From what I understand and reading on the Federation Quebec de Tir website, law 9 is not mandatory to get a PAL with restricted classification on it:

Law 9 - Mandatory for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)? Or for work?
    No. However, it is mandatory if you want to join a shooting club or acquire a restricted firearm.
    Or is it required in the RPAL application to send in proof of Law 9 completion?

At this point in time I'm just interested in getting the classification on my PAL, don't need to get a handgun or even fire one at this time, I will do law 9 later next year.
    You have to do your RPAL first, then the Law 9 course. You can’t be member of a shooting club without having done the law 9 course. And you can’t buy or own restricted without a club membership and law 9 course

Take note that if you take the law 9 course you must go shoot once a year otherwise it expire and you have to do the course again.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1970
    My grandfather never worried about the dents in his mil-surps, he would say "that dent may be all that's left of some fellow's life."

Sounds like Quebec sucks, still.
    All I need in Ontario is my RPAL.
    Free men DO NOT ask permission.
    "Don't hate me because I'm black." - Black Rifles
    Eradicate Nazism in Ukraine.
    IRUNGUNS will take your money and not supply what you’ve paid for.

You have to do your RPAL first, then the Law 9 course. You can’t be member of a shooting club without having done the law 9 course. And you can’t buy or own restricted without a club membership and law 9 course

Take note that if you take the law 9 course you must go shoot once a year otherwise it expire and you have to do the course again.
    Got all that, but do you need the law 9 course to obtain the RPAL card in your hand? Is it a requirement on the application form?

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarkryptonite View Post
    4 Different answers, damn lol. greywolf67nt have you actually done it yourself? Where did you hear it was $20? 2lowr1ders and Sambo, what years did you upgrade to RPAL's in?
    I upgraded mine 4 years ago after only having my PAL for maybe 8 months.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    I upgraded mine 4 years ago after only having my PAL for maybe 8 months.
    Oh okay. So you sent in a new form for the RPAL with your credit card on it and they charged $20? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bertn View Post
    What is your problem with having rpal but no restricteds?
    Nothing, other than the PAL is a cheaper license to renew than the RPAL.

All that to shoot holes in a piece of paper.
    Glad I washed my hands of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast