Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Serbu Super Shorty Remington 870 .12ga* AOW

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    Yes to both questions.
    No they are not !

Serbu is a manufacturer in the US, even if the barrel is cut they are not prohib in Canada, they are restricted shotguns.

Theres already a few Serbu shotguns in Canada which are restricted.

Remington do the same with their short barrel shotgun, here's my MCS with a 10" barrel clearly cut down.

Name:  DSC07571.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  72.4 KB
    Last edited by McCoy; 11-18-2018 at 10:44 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer F22_RaptoR's Avatar
    I'm not sure where this "it's a short barrel so it has to be cut" comes from.

Shotgun barrels are made from blanks, just like rifle barrels. A barrel is not considered a barrel until it has been FINISH REAMED and any extension installed. (that's how you measure it, can't measure if you can't mate up a bolt face)

So that short barrel gets cut off from a big long shotgun barrel blank, then turned on a lathe to profile. My god would there be a lot of waste if they just took 28" barrels or whatever and cut them down In fact a shorty barrel should be cheaper because you can make more with a single blank

Dlask likely just cuts shotgun barrels the same way, cut off chunk from a blank, turn down and machine, then ream chamber and forcing cone, then finish ream and install barrel extension.

And yes, if a barrel comes in from the USA and it's been admittedly cut down, it's prohibited. The caveat to that, is how do they KNOW it's been cut down? Very much impossible to say so most people - including the RCMP - turn a blind eye to it, because it's nearly impossible to tell a professional job from a newly manufactured one.

I'd bet there are hundreds or even thousands of barrels that are cut down past 18" and technically illegal (including those from before that was a law) that are technically illegal, but impossible to tell.

Bingo!! Exactly this.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Helsinki Cowboy; 11-26-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Registration leads to confiscation .

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by F22_RaptoR View Post

And yes, if a barrel comes in from the USA and it's been admittedly cut down, it's prohibited. The caveat to that, is how do they KNOW it's been cut down? Very much impossible to say so most people - including the RCMP - turn a blind eye to it, because it's nearly impossible to tell a professional job from a newly manufactured one.

I'd bet there are hundreds or even thousands of barrels that are cut down past 18" and technically illegal (including those from before that was a law) that are technically illegal, but impossible to tell.

So my gun is prohibited then since it's pretty obvious that it's a cut down barrel! what should i do ? surrender it to the RCMP ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    So my gun is prohibited then since it's pretty obvious that it's a cut down barrel! what should i do ? surrender it to the RCMP ?

If that was truley the case and it is cut below 18", you could take that barrel of and permanantly disable it, then replace it with a factory made version.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    If that was truley the case and it is cut below 18", you could take that barrel of and permanantly disable it, then replace it with a factory made version.
    Sad because it look cool with this 10" barrel, but like you see it's clearly a cut down barrel.
    Name:  Rem870.jpg.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  39.0 KB

Dlask has 12.5" and 14" barrels in stock... maybe they can make you a custom 10"?

Last edited by Helsinki Cowboy; 11-19-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Registration leads to confiscation .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Waynetheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    Sad because it look cool with this 10" barrel, but like you see it's clearly a cut down barrel.
    Name:  Rem870.jpg.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  39.0 KB
    You can calm down, it’s not “clearly” a cut down barrel like the serbu is, that ones obvious and would never make it in country cause the existing roll mark is cut THAT was clearly an existing barrel that was cut it really doesn’t matter that Serbu is a manufacturer they made the gun according to THEIR countries laws and not ours unlike the dlask guns.

The Remington coming FROM Remington would never have those kinds of indicators even if the finish on the muzzle end is different than their normal shotguns it would seem pretty backwards for them to make a barrel and finish it then chop it down and waste the excess so the argument is easily made that the barrel was made that way from the factory which it is, and nobody will be able to prove otherwise unless they go and get remington themselves to admit to the process which would likely be met with a none of your business reply.

So try and not give “them” any more ideas on how to take cool guns away alright? The sky is not falling yet.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast