Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New handgun owner...question about handling at home

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JACKSMYDOG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ottrunner View Post
    ^^^^^this is correct.

Gents...I'm just trying to do the right thing.

as far as ammo goes, I didn't even bring any home yet. I will purchase some snap caps.
    I do my range safety course on the 20th of December.

It does say newbie.

Cheers all for responses.
    Do not take anything personal on here. Some get a little over excited with their replies. Many on here think the course they took is the way every course is taught. It is simply not true, and take everything you were taught with a grain of salt. There are allot of myths and untruths taught at PAL and range safety courses.

For example I was taught that;

- It is illegal to load live ammo at home - not true (at least not always true, depending on where you live and what class of firearm)
    - It is illegal to open your restricted firearms case anywhere but home or a designated destination noted on your ATT, even under the direction of Police - not true
    - It is illegal to stop for gas, or coffee on route to, or home from the range - not true
    - CFO can do an impromptu firearms inspection at their leisure, without your consent, and anything they see while in your home is open for prosecution - not true
    - Trigger locks are the only acceptable lock for transport or storage of restricted - not true

Not at my course, but I recently purchased a gun from a store. While there a customer was asking about pistol storage, and the store owner said "in a safe or trigger locked". I offered that his Stack-on was a safe. The store owner freaked "I am a CFO instructor, stop telling lies". I showed him the court ruling on Harry Barnes, and he blew it off "well obviously the court got it wrong, and the judge is stupid. If I were the Prosecutor, Mr. Barnes would be in jail!". Some people just know everything and are not willing to learn, unless it is from an "official source".

Come here try and search out your questions first to avoid the "What you don't know how to use the search function???? This question is asked once a week, ARGH!!!!" I am so tired of newbies coming here and asking the same questions, wasting my time" lol, just smile and move to the next reply.

Most of the people on here will do their best to help you out, but some have other priorities.
    Last edited by JACKSMYDOG; 11-18-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    I may be an A$$hole, but at least I'm not a hypocrite.

CGN Regular
    Really good post with a wise perspective
    ==========
    CCFR Member

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I think nobody really cares who the instructor is. Cleaning, dry firing, handling at home is not part of the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ottrunner View Post
    ^^^^^this is correct.
    Which part of that is correct???
    Il messanger non è importante

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKSMYDOG View Post
    Do not take anything personal on here. Some get a little over excited with their replies. Many on here think the course they took is the way every course is taught. It is simply not true, and take everything you were taught with a grain of salt. There are allot of myths and untruths taught at PAL and range safety courses.
    It is only a standardized course!!!
    If an instructor fails to mention certain important parts then that's on him. Everyone's experience will depend on how knowledgeable and experienced the instructor is.
    Il messanger non è importante

Quote Originally Posted by mistero View Post
    Which part of that is correct???
    Which ever part you choose to read, not every course/instructor is the same or will say the same stuff. 2 friends both just took their restricteds with 2 diffeee t instructors and both came away from it with different information, yes the core of the course is the same however not information given is equal and can be entirely dependant on the instructor.
    And yeah nobody heres cares who his/her instructor was moot point the important thing is that there is 1 more person with a rpal in the country.
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

is empty brass case or shell, which were already shot in the range, allowed to use a dummy around?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AfghanBro View Post
    is empty brass case or shell, which were already shot in the range, allowed to use a dummy around?
    It is probably not a good idea to use a "fired" case or shell as a dummy round. Reason been that it will look the same as a live round when you have it chamber in the firearm, and then some fine day you will mix up the live round / fired round and have a live round loaded for dry firing.
    Dummy round are not too expensive, you can get it on Amazon or Bass Pro and other places, and they come in all sort of colour too.

Quote Originally Posted by AfghanBro View Post
    What wai762 said definitely the most important thing, as well though, a spent case won't do much to protect your firearm as the primer has already been indented and punctured. From my understanding a snap cap is designed to take some of that impact via a spring.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSMYDOG View Post

For example I was taught that;

- It is illegal to load live ammo at home - not true (at least not always true, depending on where you live and what class of firearm)
    - It is illegal to open your restricted firearms case anywhere but home or a designated destination noted on your ATT, even under the direction of Police - not true
    - It is illegal to stop for gas, or coffee on route to, or home from the range - not true
    - CFO can do an impromptu firearms inspection at their leisure, without your consent, and anything they see while in your home is open for prosecution - not true
    - Trigger locks are the only acceptable lock for transport or storage of restricted - not true

Not at my course, but I recently purchased a gun from a store. While there a customer was asking about pistol storage, and the store owner said "in a safe or trigger locked". I offered that his Stack-on was a safe. The store owner freaked "I am a CFO instructor, stop telling lies". I showed him the court ruling on Harry Barnes, and he blew it off "well obviously the court got it wrong, and the judge is stupid. If I were the Prosecutor, Mr. Barnes would be in jail!". Some people just know everything and are not willing to learn, unless it is from an "official source".

Come here try and search out your questions first to avoid the "What you don't know how to use the search function???? This question is asked once a week, ARGH!!!!" I am so tired of newbies coming here and asking the same questions, wasting my time" lol, just smile and move to the next reply.

Most of the people on here will do their best to help you out, but some have other priorities.
    Well said!

I would love to see a giant sticky on Canada's common misconception. I find that rules here change so frequently depending on who you talk to that a reputable and single source of truth is imperative.

use common sense. please clean, oil, admire, practice responsibly
    don't make the rest of us look bad right now
    NO john wick moves in front of your bay window lol
    snap caps only
    NO AMMO or even blanks anywhere near it
    have your fun and simply lock it up when your done
    its that easy
    you are going to enjoy your new passion
    maybe even see you at a range some day
    i shoot at silverdale and range burlington
    the Cannon Man

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast