Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HANDLOADING THE WK- what’s working what’s not?

55gr FMJ over 24.5gr IMR 4895 is my go-to plinking load, Hornady 68gr BTHP Match over 24gr Varget for my precision AR.

CGN Regular
    Good to hear that the 5.56 chamber is delivering good accuracy, I had wanted wylde but now I’m thinking it’s a non issue. Can’t wait to get out shooting again. I’m out of Win 748 now so I’m going to try some Ramshot Xterminator with the 55 gr hornadys.

What are you guys seeing in your manuals as the max load of Varget with 68/69 gr bullets? My Lyman manual says 26 gr for a 69 gr. My best group with the 70 RDF was 25.5 varget.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinlead View Post

What are you guys seeing in your manuals as the max load of Varget with 68/69 gr bullets? My Lyman manual says 26 gr for a 69 gr. My best group with the 70 RDF was 25.5 varget.
    Hornady X Manual for 68gr HPBT and Varget says 24.9 Max

In my case my accuracy test loads were 24.0, 24.3, 24.6 and 24.9 Best groups easily 24.0

IMHO Hornady seems always low ref max loads/pressures. As I mentioned I have not yet chrono'ed any of the above loads

Hodgdon has Sierra 69gr HPBT w/Varget Max 26.0 Compressed load
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Regular
    Interesting, I was reading on the internet last night and a guy was saying there is an accuracy node at 24 and another at 25.3, with about 100 fps difference. Seems to line up with what we are seeing here. Apparently these are both well known accurate loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Hornady X Manual for 68gr HPBT and Varget says 24.9 Max

In my case my accuracy test loads were 24.0, 24.3, 24.6 and 24.9 Best groups easily 24.0

IMHO Hornady seems always low ref max loads/pressures. As I mentioned I have not yet chrono'ed any of the above loads

Hodgdon has Sierra 69gr HPBT w/Varget Max 26.0 Compressed load
    Hornady is well-known for listing "lawyer loads" depending on the cartridge. I find their 5.56 NATO data is pretty spot-on but their .223 Remington tends to be on the light side. All of my guns are 5.56 NATO chambered so I have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinlead View Post
    Interesting, I was reading on the internet last night and a guy was saying there is an accuracy node at 24 and another at 25.3, with about 100 fps difference. Seems to line up with what we are seeing here. Apparently these are both well known accurate loads.
    24gr of Varget is the sweet spot for 62gr and 68gr bullets in my experience. Varget in general is a miracle powder.

CGN Regular
    What are you guys using for powder for the lighter 50-55 gr bullets

CGN Regular
    If you want a top performing coyote load I’d try the AA-2015 powder. It shows top velocity in my book, listed at 3353 fps max with a 55 bullet.
    Get the 53 grain v- max, it has a higher BC than other 55 gr bullets so it will hold that speed better and have less wind drift. If you can work up an accurate load then you’d be golden.

CGN Regular
    Got out shooting again and it seems I’m getting good honest 1.25- 1.5” five shot groups with nosler rdf and varget. I’m pretty pleased that I can accurately reach out too 500 yards or so with the “utility “ rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer todbartell's Avatar
    my 1:8 shoots 53gr Hornady HP, 53gr Nosler Varmageddon Tipped, 53gr Vmax, 55gr Hornady SP w/c all really well.

in WK I'd try Varget under the 73gr Hornady ELD with either Varget or AR Comp

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I have some 77 gr Sierra HPBT SMKs Id like to try...
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast