Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HANDLOADING THE WK- what’s working what’s not?

CGN Regular

HANDLOADING THE WK- what’s working what’s not?

With a couple thousand rounds through my WK I thought it was time to get serious about working up a handload for coyotes. So far the Federal Premium 55 gr BT are good enough accuracy wise but they are fairly expensive. The cheap AE ammo isn’t accurate enough for hunting and I don’t want to be shooting coyotes with FMJ’s.

Just wondering if anyone has found a good handload with 50-55gr bullets and decent accuracy. I’m hoping for 3200fps and inch or less groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
    With a couple thousand rounds through my WK I thought it was time to get serious about working up a handload for coyotes. So far the Federal Premium 55 gr BT are good enough accuracy wise but they are fairly expensive. The cheap AE ammo isn’t accurate enough for hunting and I don’t want to be shooting coyotes with FMJ’s.

Just wondering if anyone has found a good handload with 50-55gr bullets and decent accuracy. I’m hoping for 3200fps and inch or less groups.

It’s too bad those WK’s are barely “minute of coyote” rifles. I was going to buy one until I heard several reports of 4-5” groups. Very poor accuracy in my opinion......

I think I will buy a new series Ruger Mini 14, hopefully they still shoot 1.5” groups. My previous one did, sold it to buy a WK, sounds like that was a huge mistake.

And so the debate begins......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Even with a bunch of ####ty bulk federal 55gr my initial testing was at worst 2MOA, so reports of 4-5" groups seems excessive to me ....

55gr and the 1 in 8" WK barrel twist do not get along as far as I am concerned.

Here is a 5 shot group of Hornady 68gr Match HPBT and 24 grains of Varget - 100 yards

Note also that the squares are .96" rather than 1". Must be how the printer scales my LGS target sheets he gives away when you buy stuff......

Bench rest, sand bags.

Note I have not run this load through my radar yet - I was going for group size first.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Even with a bunch of ####ty bulk federal 55gr my initial testing was at worst 2MOA, so reports of 4-5" groups seems excessive to me ....

Here is a 5 shot group of Hornady 68gr Match HPBT and 24 grains of Varget - 100 yards

Note also that the squares are .96" rather than 1". Must be how the printer scales my LGS target sheets he gives away when you buy stuff......

Bench rest, sand bags.

Note I have not run this load through my radar yet - I was going for group size first.

Very nice group Paul! Maybe the accuracy problem is the guy behind the rifle. Either way, I would like to hold a WK and shoot one myself before I put out a G-note.....

Love Del Selens by the way!.....

New shooter here m&p spotter 2 55 gr 1 in 9 twist just changed from 223 to 5.56 green tip over 3000 fps just chrono Inc them and find good prices on tenda on bulk good luck enjoy

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post

Bench rest, sand bags.

This is actually excellent, I'm guessing .7 -.8 MOA ? Not bad at all for a semi auto that really is a production rifle, not specifically a precision rig. I was sitting on a fence about WK but it looks like the decision was made for me. I got rid of my VZ-58 exactly for the reason of inability of reliably mounting of optics and building an accurate round for it.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    It’s too bad those WK’s are barely “minute of coyote” rifles. I was going to buy one until I heard several reports of 4-5” groups. Very poor accuracy in my opinion......

I think I will buy a new series Ruger Mini 14, hopefully they still shoot 1.5” groups. My previous one did, sold it to buy a WK, sounds like that was a huge mistake.

And so the debate begins......
    I’m not sure where you heard 4-5” groups but if guys are getting those kind of groups it’s probably not the gun. With Hornady steel match and Federal premium 55gr bt my groups are about 1-1/4”. Even the cheap AE 55gr FMJ’s will do 3”groups.

Gold medal match ? Kinda the standard to test factory ammo/ rifle accuracy anyhow.

Give that a whirl maybe for yotes , prior to handloading - just saying

CGN Regular
    Yes sir the gold medal match is what I’ve been using so far. I like it but the coyotes don’t. I just thought with handloading, I was hoping to shrink my groups a little.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast