CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16262829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 High Capacity Is Back: SBI Ruger 10/22 Magazine Adapter

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet driller212's Avatar
    So I've had a frustrating morning. I was having all kinds of failures and I could tell it was a feeding angle issue. At first I pushed the mag forward while shooting and it made things work better. Then I changed ammo from snub nose hollow points to more pointed shaped bullets and that helped. Then I remembered watching a YouTube video about rem 597 mags and how this fellow discovered the springs were installed backwards resulting in the follower not pushing the nose of the bullet up. I took the mags apart and sure enough it was backwards, so I fixed my mags and things got much more reliable. Unfortunately I am now at maybe 600rds through the rifle trying to figure out how to make things work and I think my chamber is quite dirty so I am getting FTEs. But I might hit up the indoor range this week after I clean the rifle to see how it does clean. The ammo I tested was round nose AE, hollow point AE, and federal value pack hollow point. The value pack fed the best because it has a more conical nose. I think if I did this again I would fix the mags, and bring some high velocity ammo for more reliable cycling during break in. Great job spectre, these will be a hit! I am going to pick up some promags to try as well. I think I am now going to replace the plate at the front of the adapter as it got pretty chewed up from the terrible feeding angle before I fixed the mags. If they could get some steel ones that would be ideal I think.
    Shootin' stuff in the Wild West

"Somehow, democracy has become a selection of stale left-overs that no one wants".- HWally

Here are some pics comparing ammo, left to right is american eagle, winchester 555, and federal value pack 525 ammo. You will notice that the value pack ammo is more conical, and this seems to result in increased reliability. Also here is a picture of the little wall at the front of the adapter, it got pretty beat up today as I tried to break the mags in etc before I fixed them. Will have to replace it, but I cant for the life of me get it out. Video on how to fix the magazines is to follow as well.

"Somehow, democracy has become a selection of stale left-overs that no one wants".- HWally

CGN Regular
    I had similar experiences with the adaptor. I followed the break-in procedures, but continued having frequent FTFs. This thing has bent and crushed a lot of my .22lr rounds. I will take it to the range one more time and if I don't see improvement, I will give up on it.

Here is the video I made today showing how to fix the magazines. It isn't great, but its good enough. Reliability was much better after this. The gun was getting dirty when I figured this out (about 700 rounds in), and I was getting increasing FTEs. To test true reliability I will take it to the range again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    Here is the video I made today showing how to fix the magazines. It isn't great, but its good enough. Reliability was much better after this. The gun was getting dirty when I figured this out (about 700 rounds in), and I was getting increasing FTEs. To test true reliability I will take it to the range again this week.

I can't see the link

Ironically my adapter/magazine seems to feed too high, so maybe your fix in reverse will help mine ? i.e. lower the feeding angle
    “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”

Quote Originally Posted by Arseno View Post
    Ironically my adapter/magazine seems to feed too high, so maybe your fix in reverse will help mine ? i.e. lower the feeding angle
    Is it jamming them above the chamber? Mine was as well, so do this and it will help. The problem is the bolt will travel too far over the round and then catch it and then the round seems to flip straight up for some reason. That was my #1 malfunction I was having today before I fixed the mags. The other malfunction was the rounds nose getting caught on the lower edge of the chamber, which also seems to have been significantly lessened by fixing the mags. I still need to test them again as my rifle was super dirty by the time I figured this out, so I was getting a lot of FTEs.

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    So I've had a frustrating morning. I was having all kinds of failures and I could tell it was a feeding angle issue. At first I pushed the mag forward while shooting and it made things work better. Then I changed ammo from snub nose hollow points to more pointed shaped bullets and that helped. Then I remembered watching a YouTube video about rem 597 mags and how this fellow discovered the springs were installed backwards resulting in the follower not pushing the nose of the bullet up. I took the mags apart and sure enough it was backwards, so I fixed my mags and things got much more reliable. Unfortunately I am now at maybe 600rds through the rifle trying to figure out how to make things work and I think my chamber is quite dirty so I am getting FTEs. But I might hit up the indoor range this week after I clean the rifle to see how it does clean. The ammo I tested was round nose AE, hollow point AE, and federal value pack hollow point. The value pack fed the best because it has a more conical nose. I think if I did this again I would fix the mags, and bring some high velocity ammo for more reliable cycling during break in. Great job spectre, these will be a hit! I am going to pick up some promags to try as well. I think I am now going to replace the plate at the front of the adapter as it got pretty chewed up from the terrible feeding angle before I fixed the mags. If they could get some steel ones that would be ideal I think.
    Thanks for the feedback.

We've found 36gr ammo works best due to the shape of the bullet. This seems to be related to the mags. Personally my 10/22 will only federal Federal 525 bulk ammo due to a tight chamber. Other rifles we've tested seem to prefer the Federal 525 bulk ammo as well. Federal AE ammo also worked well. I noticed the picture of your feed tab. That wear is normal and should not wear further. If it does and if you can't get it out we'll send you a new one.

Did you purchase the mags from us? We're going to check our inventory to see if the springs are backwards.

If anyone needs replacement tabs let us know and we'll get them out to you. We're currently starting a run of aluminium tabs for those who wish to install one.

Yea I would be in for an aluminum tab. Probably would group it in with a promag order if you guys manage to get some in.

I did purchase the magazines from you guys, but it's obviously the contractor that makes them that is at fault here. I wish promag would make magazines with steel feed lips The plastic lips seem to create more friction and make it harder for the bolt to cycle.

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    Yea I would be in for an aluminum tab. Probably would group it in with a promag order if you guys manage to get some in.

I did purchase the magazines from you guys, but it's obviously the contractor that makes them that is at fault here. I wish promag would make magazines with steel feed lips The plastic lips seem to create more friction and make it harder for the bolt to cycle.
    We're working on getting ProMags. We'll post once they're available.