Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marlin 1894 CSBL 357 Magnums have arrived!.....:)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GMC403's Avatar
    Delete
    Last edited by GMC403; 02-09-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    I would rather slam my dick in a drawer, than have to navigate anymore of this idiocracy.......

Quote Originally Posted by savage112 View Post
    This rifle doesn't sound very impressive for an item pushing $1300.00.
    You have a good point savage112. Unfortunately, Marlin needs to make some improvements, no doubt at all. Now in saying that, these SBL CSBL models are one of a kind. They fall into a Marlin 1894 following that is hard to explain, you either have the bug or you don't.

The prices of most new rifles these days are skyrocketing overall. I love the new Winchester Trappers, but they will run you well over $2000.00 for even a close model to the 1894 SBL or 1894 CSBL, only blued models though. Chiappa has a few nice Trapper versions as well, but they are also not cheap to buy and I had a real bad experience with Chiappa and swore I will never own another ( nothing against current Chiappa owners ).

It comes down to personal preference and taste. I like the Henry Steel Carbine Models but they don't have a 16 1/2" Stainless Carbine/Trapper model, again blued models only. Plus I would miss the side gate loading option, tube feed only with a Henry. I have two Henry 22s, love them both.

So after $1300.00 we as owners spend 4-5 hours polishing the internals and taking off the sharp edges. Throw in a Wolf Hammer Spring and you have a reliable buttery-smooth action while tickling our Marlin cult following.

Now in saying all this, most Marlins will shoot, cycle and fire just fine without all the extra time, parts, etc., some of us put into the rifle. Again, it comes back to choice and how fussy is the individual.

Merry Christmas to all!.....

Quote Originally Posted by GMC403 View Post
    I’ve bought 5 rifles from Epps, all transactions (and products) have been top notch.
    Ditto for me, staff is friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Plus they always answer their phone, being old-school, I like that.

All good here people!.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sun_and_Steel_77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savage112 View Post
    This rifle doesn't sound very impressive for an item pushing $1300.00.
    And just where does one buy an all stainless lever rifle with a 200$ dollar sight combo and a quality laminate stock these days under a thousand unless you are talking about a stainless Rossi/Br###### with an over-sprung action full of metal filings with a 10lb trigger, garbage buckhorn sights, and some mystery jungle hardwood stock set.
    I'm not picking on Rossi in particular as I have owned a few of them as well but even after the required work to get them smoothed-up you are still stuck with crap stocks.
    Are you talking Henry? I won't even touch on that subject.
    I see a classic Savage 99 in your avatar pic...can you imagine what a rifle like that machined and hand-fitted by workers earning a decent wage working for a company that doesn't just care about the profit margin would cost to produce in todays market? I'll give you hint...it would be awful darn close to a new Miroku/Winchester!

Also of note is most pistol caliber lever actions be it your 1894 or especially an 1892 have a great deal more moving parts to both machine and fit than your typical bolt action and are produced in smaller numbers/runs than the 1895s/1894s.
    Last edited by Sun_and_Steel_77; 12-22-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer johNTO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_and_Steel_77 View Post
    was grouping 1.5-2" at 50 yards with the same 125gr cowboy loads that my JM stamped 1894C likes.

Excuse my ignorance re Levers but is 1.5"-2" at 50 yards considered accurate?
    Is the Trapper model available with a blued octagon 16.5"bbl and wood furniture?

I've dealt with Epps both online and in person. Never had a bad experience.....
    joi gin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sun_and_Steel_77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johNTO View Post
    Excuse my ignorance re Levers but is 1.5"-2" at 50 yards considered accurate?
    Is the Trapper model available with a blued octagon 16.5"bbl and wood furniture?

I've dealt with Epps both online and in person. Never had a bad experience.....
    In my experience with pistol caliber carbines be it lever,pump or semi a 2" 5-shot group @50 yards using either bulk commercial ammo or bulk bullets reloaded on a progressive press is doing good work.
    Now if you are talking a handloaded round using a quality Jacketed bullet with a carefully prepped case and a weighed charge of h110 you get around an inch or even the occasional 3-shot cloverleaf.
    Start shooting that same load out to 125 plus yards and you quickly appreciate a centerfire rifle cartridge with a spitzer bullet for its consistent accuracy and trajectory.

Marlin does not currently produce a blued 1894 16.5" barreled model and cowboy models with the octagonal barrel come in at 20 inches.
    Chiappa has options in that configuration.
    Last edited by Sun_and_Steel_77; 12-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Mine is still hung up in the Canada Post BS, I do not expect to see it until the New Year now. I will report once she shows up though.

Only 5 rifles left people!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123