Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Stainless/Syn 77/357 in stock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GMC403's Avatar
    Delete
    Last edited by GMC403; 02-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    I would rather slam my dick in a drawer, than have to navigate anymore of this idiocracy.......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rocket Surgery's Avatar
    I've owned one of these rifles for over a year. They're quite nice when shooting 357 (Federal red eagle ammo). The 38special ammo I've used tends to jam up the mag, but keep in mind I've only used a TCFP.

My rifle hits where I aim it, right out of the box, regardless of 38 or 357. The only thing some people may not like is how small the bolt is, it's not a big deal but someone may rant about it online.

The other thing is that the magazine doesn't free fall, my rifle requires me to push down on the mag with my thumb while the bolt is open, while pressing the release button at the bottom. The same goes for loading, it's a 2 hand technique. Not a big deal, but again, some people might find this annoying.

The rifle is short and light, it barely kicks, but the energy that it produces with 357mag is impressive. It's about 75%-80% of a 30-30 at the muzzle if you believe what you read online.

EDIT: I paid $800 bucks shipped for this rifle new a year ago, BNIB with warranty. Not sure what they're going for now, but probably the same. I wouldn't pay this much again for one, but I really wanted it lol

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgery View Post
    I've owned one of these rifles for over a year. They're quite nice when shooting 357 (Federal red eagle ammo). The 38special ammo I've used tends to jam up the mag, but keep in mind I've only used a TCFP.

My rifle hits where I aim it, right out of the box, regardless of 38 or 357. The only thing some people may not like is how small the bolt is, it's not a big deal but someone may rant about it online.

The other thing is that the magazine doesn't free fall, my rifle requires me to push down on the mag with my thumb while the bolt is open, while pressing the release button at the bottom. The same goes for loading, it's a 2 hand technique. Not a big deal, but again, some people might find this annoying.

The rifle is short and light, it barely kicks, but the energy that it produces with 357mag is impressive. It's about 75%-80% of a 30-30 at the muzzle if you believe what you read online.

EDIT: I paid $800 bucks shipped for this rifle new a year ago, BNIB with warranty. Not sure what they're going for now, but probably the same. I wouldn't pay this much again for one, but I really wanted it lol
    Stoppp...you're making me want one even more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pure.black.xiii View Post
    Stoppp...you're making me want one even more!!!
    I have the Rossi and Marlin 357 lever guns, along with this Ruger in 357. The issue that all of these rifles have is they jam with 38 special, and you have to perform magic rituals to make them cycle properly. There's always that person online that will claim he never has issues, or that you have to "know what you're doing" or send it to some guy. I wouldn't buy one of these rifles with the notion that 38 special is going to be an option. If you do manage to get one that cycles flawlessly, never sell it and never tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC403 View Post
    The 44mag certainly offers more in a hunting caliber, but the 357 isn’t a slouch, and it offers cheaper plinking with next to no recoil (great kids starter rifle).

For the 77/357 I’ve found a max load (or even slightly over) of Alliant 2400 under a 158gr XTP is great for accuracy and speed. All my rifles have kept it under 1.5” @ 100y and launch them at around 1850-1900fps.
    It's a great load for this rifle. I'm shooting this 158gr xtp and hot 180gr Speer JFP at over 2000fps and have dumped deer and bears easily.

I was lucky to get mine a few years ago for 1050.00 and it's a great light and handling carbine with it's hammer punch. This is my wifes main carbine, along with a Rem 7 260 for longer ranges.

Contributing Dealer Prophet River's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgery View Post
    I have the Rossi and Marlin 357 lever guns, along with this Ruger in 357. The issue that all of these rifles have is they jam with 38 special, and you have to perform magic rituals to make them cycle properly. There's always that person online that will claim he never has issues, or that you have to "know what you're doing" or send it to some guy. I wouldn't buy one of these rifles with the notion that 38 special is going to be an option. If you do manage to get one that cycles flawlessly, never sell it and never tell anyone.
    The RN 38's seem to feed rather well.
    www.prophetriver.com
    inquiries - 780-875-0575 / info@prophetriver.com
    Prophet River Firearms
    4206 66th Ave
    Lloydminster, AB
    T9V 3S9

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
    The RN 38's seem to feed rather well.
    My 38 special full metal jacket factory rounds fed, cycled and fired perfectly. I guess I shouldn't have sold it to my step-son!....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GMC403's Avatar
    Delete
    Last edited by GMC403; 02-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    I would rather slam my dick in a drawer, than have to navigate anymore of this idiocracy.......

Quote Originally Posted by GMC403 View Post
    How in the heck are you getting over 2000fps with a 180gr??
    You can unsafely load these ruger rifles well beyond max and you won't explode the receiver as quickly as other rifles it seems. The issue is that you get really hard extractions and punctured pancake primers. I haven't done it with my 77/357 yet, and there's no real point because I was given a 30-30, but other rugers I've made up some 80iq loads and still have my fingers. You have to think, the loading data is for handgun receivers. The Lyman manual has a section for 357 rifle, but the Rugers seem to be a little tougher and you can flirt with stupidity and get away with it for a while.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123