Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAL/RPAL exam questions

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaks View Post
    Written part is easy peasy, the instructor will cover everything that's in the written exam.

It's the practical where I've seen class mates fail.
    Finger off the trigger and keep the gun pointed in the designated safe direction and u can’t fail unless u cram wrong ammo in firearm but if u can read that won’t happen

And make sure the paperwork for the restricted transport is in the case.

The written tests are easy, mainly common sense. I got 100% on the non restricted, and 98% on the restricted,..would have got 100% but changed one of the answers. I read the books ahead but even if I didn't would have passed. Common sense stuff.

The practical part is pretty easy. Got like 92 and 96% or something. Like someone said, don't put your finger in the trigger guard, always point the gun is the given direction, load, unload,..just listen to what is asked. Acts Prove everything. If you are just told to unload a gun,..Acts Prove it. Lots of people didn't.

You will be asked to identity calibre or gauge. You will be asked to identify jacketed, hollow point etc. Also you will be asked to pick out different guns,..lever, single shooter etc.

It was a lot easier that I expected. But the instructor I had was really good, cut to the chase. High energy, kept the ball rolling.

The only part I didn't really like was the muzzleloader stuff. Great to know the history but I really don't think most people are going to go the black powder route, or use flint locks. I guess it's a requirement so someone doesn't blow themselves up.

Good luck.
    2+2=5

my v12 year old passed it with 100%
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Hi there,

I did what you did before taking my classes and exams. I read the manual multiple times over, watched videos, watched the actual course videos, watched the PROVE videos on every class of firearms, etc. You'll find that the class is very easy in terms of the material. You won't be perfect with the hands on stuff if you're like me and haven't held a firearm before, but you get hours of time to work with the firearms. You'll find that everything in the class will be common sense to you while others are struggling (but that also gives the instructor the impression that you're well prepared). Also ask lots of questions, just to learn more or to get on better terms with the instructor (my instructor is a chair member of my local range and he was so impressed with me that he gave me a high recommendation before I even applied).

One thing to note, the questions on the test are very straight forward. Almost to the point that you start reading more into them. Don't read anything into them because you'll overthink yourself and get the question wrong. Let me explain one question I got wrong.

The question was about a double action only revolver. It was worded as if to imply that one pull of the trigger turns the cylinder a full 360 degrees, at least that's how I read it. But it simply said that a trigger pull rotates the cylinder one time to align the next chamber. I said false because in my head I thought "no, the cylinder doesn't rotate all the way around with one pull".

So, just listen carefully, be respectful, pay close attention to the hands on work and ask plenty of questions. Even during lunch break you can ask the instructor permission to handle the firearms to get better with it.

Best of luck to you.
    Proud member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Two most important rules

Don’t sweep anybody.
    Keep your finger out of the trigger guard
    Pretty sure as long as you have half a brain that is about the only way you can fail it.

As others have said, you'll do fine as long as you relax, pay attention and practice with the firearms when given the opportunity to do so. I went in without any experience apart from a couple recent trips to the range where it was only pulling the trigger after the RO prepared the guns. There were a couple "trick" questions but our instructor made sure to let us know what would be covered on the written portion and important things to consider.

The practical was easy as well, I found talking myself through the steps as I did them helped, although I almost forgot to remove the cylindrical magazine from a lever action rifle. The instructor just repeated "Pick up the lever action and prove it safe". Keeping it pointed in a safe direction and finger off the trigger are the most important things to remember.

Being an older guy with no firearms experience, I managed a 96% and 100% on the written for CFSC and CRFSC respectively and 100% on both practicals. No need to be nervous and make it harder on yourself.

That practice question you mentioned is strange. Could it be along the lines that a .357 firearm can use both a .357 and a .38 special cartridge but a .38 special firearm could not use a .357 cartridge? At least that's how I remember it.
    Member: CPC / CCFR / CSSA / NFR

When you do your practical they will ask which bullets are what,make sure you tell them if it a Mag or not they try to test you.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TomExAF View Post
    And make sure the paperwork for the restricted transport is in the case.

Many instructors will point out that this is not a good idea. You should not put yourself in a situation where you have to unlock and open your case to produce paperwork.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    There are NO trick questions on the exams. Read the questions CAREFULLY and answer accordingly.
    Ammo identification READ EVERYTHING ON THE HEAD STAMP.
    Firearm identification READ EVERYTHING ON THE DATA STAMP.
    For the purposes of the hands on test head stamp MUST match data stamp. The only real exception is 9mm as it has a few names.
    Whatever else you do when the instructor says "please pick up ### firearm" don't just pick it up and stand there and stare at them waiting for the next instruction ACTS AND PROVE EVERY FIREARM AS SOON AS YOU TOUCH IT.
    Take EVERY opportunity to handle EVERY firearm available. ACTS/PROVE and load/unload as much as possible and if you aren't sure FFS ask!
    The only people I have had fail the hands on are the ones that were ho-hum about the handling practice.
    FINGER OFF TRIGGER AND OUTSIDE TRIGGER GUARD AND POINTED IN SAFEST AVAILABLE DIRECTION practice moving yourself around the gun not the gun around yourself SPECIALLY with handguns as they are SUPER easy to get the muzzle pointed in an unsafe direction.
    Last edited by greywolf67nt; 01-01-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast