Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAL/RPAL exam questions

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin-D View Post
    Hello,

I'm not taking the CFSC and CRFSC course till next month, but have already read through both sections of the manual and answered the questions after each chapter. I've gone online and found sample tests and have done those.

There are quite a few questions in those sample tests regarding types of ammo (ie: is the picture a .357 Magnum or 38 special or XYZ, will an 8MM Mouser cartridge fit in a .30-06 SPRG chambered rifle, etc). They just show the cartridges' side profile - no head data pictures. The manual doesn't go into anything specific except for some examples of bullet types (lead round nose, full metal jacket, metal jacket soft point, etc). And I remember that there was a small blurb about not being able to use ammo from one type to another (ie: .357 magnum vs .357 Ruger).

Does anyone recall if there are such questions on the exams? Who can memorize every type of ammo there is?

Thanks.
    What is the bullet diameter of the 270 Winchester?
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Regular
    You'll be fine, don't overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    What is the bullet diameter of the 270 Winchester?
    Rob
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

The test is not very hard and if you can listen to the whole course you will pass it's mostly common sense stuff.
    My son took it and passed with a 92 he was 12 years old.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    You cant fail if you have a decent instructor, stay awake in the class and have basic logic. Except for the exception questions like hunting from a canoe vs an ATV due to motors there really is not a hard question on the exam.

Now if the hunting course included identifying the wings of upland game and ducks then there is possibility of failing if you didnt study your feathers.

I took the course only ever using a bolt gun and air rifle. I had no trouble and learned that until I had more exp that lever actions were not for me tmdue to holding the hammer/trigger together. In fine with it now but didnt feel comfortable then. Still dont own one though mostly for that reason and the thought of my thumb slipping in the cold.
    Last edited by philhut; 01-01-2019 at 07:26 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ganderite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin-D View Post
    Hello,

I'm not taking the CFSC and CRFSC course till next month, but have already read through both sections of the manual and answered the questions after each chapter. I've gone online and found sample tests and have done those.

There are quite a few questions in those sample tests regarding types of ammo (ie: is the picture a .357 Magnum or 38 special or XYZ, will an 8MM Mouser cartridge fit in a .30-06 SPRG chambered rifle, etc). They just show the cartridges' side profile - no head data pictures. The manual doesn't go into anything specific except for some examples of bullet types (lead round nose, full metal jacket, metal jacket soft point, etc). And I remember that there was a small blurb about not being able to use ammo from one type to another (ie: .357 magnum vs .357 Ruger).

Does anyone recall if there are such questions on the exams? Who can memorize every type of ammo there is?

Thanks.
    No need to memorize ammo names.

The course teaches you that the ammo (as on the headstamp) has to match the firearm (as stamped on the barrel). Lots of types of ammo will chamber in a gun that are the wrong ammo. A 308 will chamber in a 25-06, for example (and might blow it up).

In the test you might be given a gun, and asked which of the rounds on the table match the gun.

Remember that a shot shell length is measured after shooting. The length includes the now open crimp. So a 3" shell they hand you might actually measure 2 3/4" long. It is not a 2 3/4" round.
    -- Learn by the experience of others.... you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself.
    -- The fool mistakes his world for the world.
    -- Doubt is uncomfortable but certainty is ridiculous.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    The test is not very hard and if you can listen to the whole course you will pass it's mostly common sense stuff.
    My son took it and passed with a 92 he was 12 years old.
    Yeah. Given how easy the tests are, I think half the reason this thing exists is so that the instructors can see whether you're normal or not.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderite View Post

In the test you might be given a gun, and asked which of the rounds on the table match the gun.

Remember that a shot shell length is measured after shooting. The length includes the now open crimp. So a 3" shell they hand you might actually measure 2 3/4" long. It is not a 2 3/4" round.
    You will not be handed anything.
    You will be asked to select different types of ammunition and show it to the examiner.
    You be asked by the examiner to pick up a certain gun. You may or may not be asked to select the right cartridge or cartridges for that firearm. You may or may not be asked to load it.
    The number one rule is still IF YOU TOUCH IT ACTS AND PROVE IT and BEFORE you put it down ACTS AND PROVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmonument View Post
    Yeah. Given how easy the tests are, I think half the reason this thing exists is so that the instructors can see whether you're normal or not.
    It in fact DOES do that. We can, if we feel necessary, include a message with the reports we file. If someone passed the test but feel their cheese isn't squarely on their cracker. It protects the instructors to a certain degree as most will assume it was the RCMP's doing.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Thanks everyone for the very useful info.

Greywolf, you mention:

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    IF YOU TOUCH IT ACTS AND PROVE IT and BEFORE you put it down ACTS AND PROVE IT
    I understand ACTS and PROVE it safe when you pick up a firearm, but why do it again when putting it down if it hasn't left your hands (direct control) though I know the action should be left open if possible? Or do you mean for example, the instructor asks you to pick up firearm X, load it with the correct cartridge, unload it, then put it away. Then I understand you have to ACTS/PROVE it safe when picked up, load with correct cartridge as per head and data stamps, unload it and ACTS/PROVE it safe before putting it down.

Thanks.

If you have an obstruction. Identify it every time.

Imo they aren't out to fail anybody. If you pay attention during the class you will pass.

There is quite a bit of hands on during the course.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast