Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: PAL/RPAL exam questions

The tests are not hard and are mostly common sense. My 12 year old son passed both hunter safety and the PAL course first try with almost 100% and he fell asleep during the hunter safety part
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

The instructors want you to pass so as long as you're taking the classes and not just challenging the test you won't have anything to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin-D View Post
    Thanks everyone for the very useful info.

Greywolf, you mention:

I understand ACTS and PROVE it safe when you pick up a firearm, but why do it again when putting it down if it hasn't left your hands (direct control) though I know the action should be left open if possible? Or do you mean for example, the instructor asks you to pick up firearm X, load it with the correct cartridge, unload it, then put it away. Then I understand you have to ACTS/PROVE it safe when picked up, load with correct cartridge as per head and data stamps, unload it and ACTS/PROVE it safe before putting it down.

Thanks.
    better to over do things in front of the instructors anyway. Safety is always #1 with firearms so as long as you demonstrate that it's top of mind then you're set

My experience from my course i took in december, the instructors literally gave hints of things that could be on the exam, like repeated things, or pointed at a statement. They didnt trick us, nor set us up to fail. The instructors want you to show them you can be safe. The wording on some can be a bit..... tricky? like i had 1 on mine True/False: You can store ammunition in a container as long as it is not easily accessible or near a firearm? The "Container" part got me and for some reason was thinking, like a plastic storage container bin. But DONT OVERTHINK IT! I answered true and i was correct. Our instructor told us he has only failed 1 person because he overthought the entire exam.. Take simple notes, read the manual once.

Practical: Out of the 8 hour class, we probably had atleast an hour spread of 15 minute increments of practicing loading/unloading + ACTS/PROVE. Best thing was just keep practicing ACTS/PROVE over and over until it became second nature. The instructor came up to us 1 by 1 to have a conversation and to see how we were doing/give us tips. Come the practical exam, it was ACTS/PROVE load+unload then asked us random questions, how to store safely, whats the rules for transporting, pickup a .22 shell, a shotgun shell, what safety lock would you use for a lever action. No one had experience before with firearms and everyone passed with flying colors.

Overall, They are there for you to prove to them you can be safe with a firearm. Take Simple notes, dont overthink the exam, ACTS/PROVE, constantly walk through it when you have the firearm. Keep firearm downrange even when they're asking questions during the exam.

For fun I checked out a online practice test. First question:
    Is it legal to store a loaded firearm?

True
    False
    Ummmm... "Is it...?" That is a Yes or No question, not a True or False. Who rights these things? My son was doing a drivers practice test last month, and it had the wrong answer for a traffic circle question. Remember that the people making these practice tests aren't necessarily smart.
    CCFR Member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345