Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAL/RPAL exam questions

PAL/RPAL exam questions

Hello,

I'm not taking the CFSC and CRFSC course till next month, but have already read through both sections of the manual and answered the questions after each chapter. I've gone online and found sample tests and have done those.

There are quite a few questions in those sample tests regarding types of ammo (ie: is the picture a .357 Magnum or 38 special or XYZ, will an 8MM Mouser cartridge fit in a .30-06 SPRG chambered rifle, etc). They just show the cartridges' side profile - no head data pictures. The manual doesn't go into anything specific except for some examples of bullet types (lead round nose, full metal jacket, metal jacket soft point, etc). And I remember that there was a small blurb about not being able to use ammo from one type to another (ie: .357 magnum vs .357 Ruger).

Does anyone recall if there are such questions on the exams? Who can memorize every type of ammo there is?

Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar
    Sounds like you're well on your way to passing the exams, most people don't pre-read the manuals. As long as you pay attention during the class and have common sense you'll do fine.

PAL/RPAL exam questions

You are absolutely right cyclops666. I've had my FAC since the 1970s but while in hospital from an industrial accident in late 1984 it expired. I had to retake PAL and the new RPAL. It was mostly common sense and safety. For an old guy like me (X army) it was a breeze I got 97% on PAL and 96% on RPAL. Sounds like your studying in advance with stand you in good stead at exam time. Good luck and good safe shooting and hunting Screaming-D.
    BTW if you pay attention to the instructor(s), make notes on things that you are not to sure of and add that to you manual you'll pass with flying colours.
    A salute to our troops as I was an active reservist!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RiMP9 View Post
    BTW if you pay attention to the instructor(s), make notes on things that you are not to sure of and add that to you manual you'll pass with flying colours.
    And don't be hesitant to ask questions .

I did mine about 5 years ago and there were no questions that required you to identify cartridges calibers without seeing the head stamp, just the bullet types.
    In my class students had the most difficulty with the practical, particularly those with limited or no exposure to handling guns so put your focus there.
    If your lucky you'll get an instructor who is very hands on oriented with lots of demo guns. He'll review the book content but let you do the studying, which you are clearly ready for.
    Our instructor was very hands on - but also a hard ass.
    As for the paper test I got 97% on the CFSC (made a stupid mistake inferring a double negative about ricochets off water) and 100% on the CRFSC.
    Practical I got dinged for not clearing all the chambers on a fixed cylinder revolver after using a single round for loading demo.
    My class had 13 out 15 pass. One didn't finish and would have failed anyway, the other guy failed the practical. He was literally shaking he was so nervous and pointed a shotgun directly at the instructor!
    All in all, not very difficult if you pay attention. If your new to guns, finding someone that will let you handle the different actions etc prior to class will be a big help.

Good luck, and get ready to $pend when the RPAL comes in!
    I like to think I know enough to know when I don’t know enough….

Written part is easy peasy, the instructor will cover everything that's in the written exam.

It's the practical where I've seen class mates fail.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Two most important rules

Don’t sweep anybody.
    Keep your finger out of the trigger guard

CGN Regular
    ON THE INTERNET where I live is private until we enter into a deal
    Good advice above

Go to class, pay attention If you fail the exam. its because your head wasn't in it.
    The instructors are not there to fail you. most of them are shooters and welcome new people to the sport.
    Oh yeah mousing is something cats do Mauser was a man with some good designs.

Good luck and welcome.

If you can't see the stamp on the bullet, don't use it. Trick question. Always make sure to use the right ammo. If it can't be identified, don't use it....

Thanks everyone. Feel better about the whole exam question thing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast