Thread: Travelling between provinces with firearm flights or send by mail?

Travelling between provinces with firearm flights or send by mail?

Hi there,

I was wondering what is usually the best and safest procedure when transporting firearms (non-restricted) between provinces? From what I gathered it seems that things such as firearms can be sent as a check luggage but is it possible to send it to say Canada post to save the bag fees?

Put them in your car and go, pretty simple
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Yes, you can send via Can Post. A trigger lock is all you need, as well as secure packaging to prevent damage. I would be sure your final destination is kosher to receive a firearm and a non-PAL holder will not open it by accident. Also, you’ll need to time your arrival with the firearm’s so leave plenty of time for that, Murphy’s Law and all.

The easiest way is what greatwhite said. Drive it there yourself.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Put them in your car and go, pretty simple
    ^^^This, It doesn't get any easier.

I am pretty sure you CAN'T check any firearms at the airport. I have sent many through Canada post with no issues at all

If you are flying between provinces your firearms can accompany you as checked baggage, unloaded, secured and cased. Hunters do it every day. Allow extra time at both ends. Airlines will not ship as unaccompanied baggage. You can mail to yourself or another person by Canada Post Parcel Post if you have a valid address to send to, General Delivery with signature required works fine, however, the time in transit is quite variable and it must be picked up before it times out and is returned. Of course Canada Post isn't free, will cost you $30-40 and you have the bother of securely packaging it. Either way it will cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boulton View Post
    I am pretty sure you CAN'T check any firearms at the airport. I have sent many through Canada post with no issues at all
    As Ashcroft already mentioned, one can certainly fly with firearms, but they can only accompany you as "checked" luggage of course. The rifles need to be locked in locked cases, etc... I do it every year for my hunting trip. There are weight limits for ammunition though. In any case, depending on the number of firearms involved, it is likely way more practical to simply embark on a road trip...