Marlin in .444 is back

Ballard rifling and a proper ROT.Those in the know will get one along with a lifetime supply of brass and the rest will miss the boat.

I have had two .444 Marlins (old ones that didn't have the asinine safety). Hammered tonnes of moose with them. 300 grain Speer SP and H335 would floor them out to 200 long paces anytime. Great cartridge.

Gravel should bring in the new barrels for those who want to upgrade their guns.Full size and the 16" now that would sell seeing we can't legally shorten our own barrels.

Last edited:
Maybe use a LITTLE G96 on it once in a While ! :p RJ

Not a little. A lot. Submerge it in it you mean. It rusts just sitting inside the house unlike my other guns with the exception of an 870 which also rusts to beat hell. The older Remington's were just fine though.

Thanks for coming out. I'd owned many many guns for 50 years BTW and am not new to this.

I wonder if all Freedom Group guns have this QC problem? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:
Not a little. A lot. Submerge it in it you mean. It rusts just sitting inside the house unlike my other guns with the exception of an 870 which also rusts to beat hell. The older Remington's were just fine though.

Thanks for coming out. I'd owned many many guns for 50 years BTW and am not new to this.

I wonder if all Freedom Group guns have this QC problem? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Relaxe Fellow - TONGUE in Cheek ! :p RJ

Almost felt bad taking an axe to the unicorn lol

Don't feel bad c.t., I have seen a few for sale here on Gunnutz. They are not as rare as one thinks. I had one, sold it to a fellow who has three now.

In saying that, I will gladly buy your XLR that has been cut shorter. PM me if you want to sell it!.....:)

If I did not already have a 45-70 I'd consider a 444. I'm waiting/hoping the 38-55's are going to show soon :).

I've had no rusting issues with my 45-70 GBL or any of the other Remlins I own. If it's primarily inside the barrel, it's usually unflushed blueing salts, if you have warranty left, put in a claim.

I'm not saying I've had no Remlin issues, I've just had no rusting issues.
- used 1895G 45-70G from EE would not cycle some brands of factory ammo, new 336W 30-30 constantly breaking barrel band screws, and a new 1894 44 Mag with a fore end issue & lever screw hole threads not finished properly .

I do not recommend buying a Remlin sight unseen. They have a history of QC issues to live down first. Some of the common QC issues that can be picked up at the retailer.
-canted sights
-no rifling
-bluing salts not rinsed from barrel
-poor stiff cycling - if retailer won't let you cycle gun, walk away and don't look back
-poor fit & finish
For a more complete rundown of common Remlin issues look at the marlin owners forum 'rant' section

Other issues they hide at the factory are hard to find until you dissemble.
D8cLcTBl.jpg

Stuff like this little piece of plastic in my 1894 44 Mag. It was between the fore end and receiver, to keep the fore end tight/snug :(.
Remlin has non-standard treads that require ordering the proper sized taps to clean out threads. I had to order a tap from Brownell's to clean out the lever screw hole in receiver of my 44 Mag so I could reassemble it.

My guide to buying a Remlin is to visit a retailer that has more than 1 in stock, check off stuff on common issue list and pick the best of the bunch. I looked over/went over 5 - 1895GBL 45-70's before I selected the one I wanted. The only Remlin I did not dissemble to smooth out action was my newest, 1894 357 Mag /38 Spl (production stamp May 2018).
ATM I own 4 Remlins, 1895GBL 45-70 Gov, 336GBL 30-30 Win, 1894 357 Mag/38 Spl and 1894 44 Mag/ 44 Spl. I enjoy reloading and shooting them all, I can't really say I have a favorite.

I had the Outfitter for a long time. Best bush deer rifle ever. I put the IER Scout mount and scope on, which gave the whole thing great balance. The Speer Gold Dot bullet worked very well.
Sold it, and shouldn't have.

It's back!!

The long-awaited return of the 444 Marlin is finally here and more reliable than ever before. This hard-hitting big-bore rifle will shoot a lighter bullet, faster, with a flatter trajectory, more energy (inside 200 yards) and with less recoil than a 45-70 Govt. The 444 Marlin is perfect for medium-sized, thin-skinned game like whitetail deer all the way up to the big brutes like moose and elk.

FEATURES:
22" barrel, Ballard rifling
1:20" twist rate
Adjustable semi-buckhorn rear sights
Polished blue finish
Four round magazine (total capacity – 5)
American black walnut stock with pistol grip

40 1/2" long
70540_MFC_444_1200px.png

Price?

Back
Top Bottom