Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Field Stripping Restricted Firearms for Storage

CGN Regular

Field Stripping Restricted Firearms for Storage

Hey folks, wondering if it's common for gun owners to field strip their Glocks, CZ's, or Sigs when storing them.

Or if it's not common, if there is a reason NOT to do this. I've heard mixed explanations as to whether it's bad for components.

TIA

Edit: Let's say you field strip it and assemble once a week.
    Last edited by ontheedgeman; 12-20-2018 at 11:08 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    My question would be WHY ? There's always a chance of losing or misplacing small parts !

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcats View Post
    My question would be WHY ? There's always a chance of losing or misplacing small parts !
    This^^^^^^^^
    All the small pins and stuff to lose. Plus when you want to head to the range you have to reassemble your gun. Even field stripped Imo there is no reason or logic to do this. Oil everything properly and store it like that. Done.

Corey

CGN Regular
    There are three reasons to do this: 1) spousal; 2) safety; and 3) social.
    1. Spousal: if my wife finds out there is a gun in the house, she will not be pleased. If there are gun PARTS in the house, that's a different thing entirely. Few people/kids know how to assemble a gun. So regularly disassembling the gun resolve this issue for me.
    2. Safety. Yes, I lock my gun in a safe. Yes, I lock the case. Yes, I have a trigger lock. I am more concerned that the kids would take my car for a joyride than somehow breaking through three layers of locks. However, if for some strange reason they really WANTED to break through layers... the ultimate "lock" is disassembling the gun.
    3. Social. In uber liberal areas, if kids friends parents find out there is a gun in a kid's house, that may be the end of the friendship. If we say the gun is not assembled, different argument entirely.

In terms of losing small parts - what small parts?? A glock taken apart is 4 pieces. A CZ... not sure... a Sig... 4 as well?

Originally from Nova Scotia - now in Oklahoma USA after decade in Arizona
    I like my guns useful ...
    Western Nova Scotia Regiment 81 & 82. Royal Canadian Air Force 82 to 94
    NRA member, Certified Instructor, Certified RSO. USPSA member, NROI certified Range Officer
    A few guns around here - what would you expect of a CanadianGunNut in US

Quote Originally Posted by ontheedgeman View Post
    1. Spousal: if my wife finds out there is a gun in the house, she will not be pleased.
    What?

Spousal: if my wife finds out there is a gun in the house, she will not be pleased.

I could be wrong but it might be time for a new, gun friendly, wife!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Search the EE for all of the listings for firearms that are just missing the bolt, the slide, some retaining pin, etc. Thats why you don't store your guns in pieces.

There is no mechanical reason to not strip your firearm as designed/intended by the manufacturer, but you should know that the vast majority of damage done to firearms is during assembly/disassembly.

I suspect storing your firearms disassembled is uncommon.

Why would YOU want to?
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Seriously, how does she not know you have firearms in the house already???

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    ^^^ He probably had them prior to his wife moving in.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast