Thread: Dryfire question

Dryfire question

When you are doing dryfire how much front sight movement is acceptable? Should it remain completely motionless, as if the gun is locked in a vise? Or is a small amount of wiggle acceptable? I find it nearly impossible to hold it motionless for rapid fire.

My skill level is absolute beginner.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Any movement should not be caused by you squeezing the trigger. The striker release when you pull the trigger can cause a small tremor. A hammer fired gun will move even less.

It’s very difficult to hold the gun motionless for rapid fire as it’s human tendency to pull the trigger hard. Hard and fast will cause movement. A skilled shooter can minimize the movement but it takes a lot of trigger time to get there.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN frequent flyer BadLieutenant's Avatar
    Practice with a dime on the barrel. ....

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Zero movement. If you can get a spent shell casing and stand it by the front sight and try to have it not fall off when you do the trigger press.
    You want a nice smooth press and the "shot" to surprise you.
    I found getting one of the guitar finger exercisers like this https://www.amazon.ca/DAddario-Varig.../dp/B001OCGGEM and just sitting there watching TV just doing slow "trigger presses" helped a bunch.
    Some of the tremor may also be how tightly you are holding the gun. You don't need to squeeze the life out of it.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

That finger exerciser thing looks great. I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    Zero movement. If you can get a spent shell casing and stand it by the front sight and try to have it not fall off when you do the trigger press.
    You want a nice smooth press and the "shot" to surprise you.
    I found getting one of the guitar finger exercisers like this https://www.amazon.ca/DAddario-Varig.../dp/B001OCGGEM and just sitting there watching TV just doing slow "trigger presses" helped a bunch.
    Some of the tremor may also be how tightly you are holding the gun. You don't need to squeeze the life out of it.

As some have already mentioned, minimum next to zero movement should be seen when dry firing. I have practiced with both a dime and a dummy round resting on the front of my front sight post. If you also have someone free to give you a hand, have them look at your gun when you are doing the dry firing to see if they see any movement from a different angle.

Nice to see you doing some dry fire!

dry firing is a good way to get used to a gun (handgun or rifle). I found that trying to focus on the target and the front post (handgun)or just the target (rifle) kind of took my mind off of the "perfect trigger pull" and it made it easier to relax and get a smooth pull. that being said nothing really makes up for shooting and I found shooting steel to be the best practice. It stops you from trying to achieve a dime sized group, all you need to do is hit the target and make it move. remember go slow at first "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

Hope that helped

Cheers