Thread: Bullet Keyhole?

CGN Regular

Bullet Keyhole?

Was out shooting today and shot this group of 4 rounds:

There was no other bullet holes anywhere nearby, so I guess the larger hole in the bottom is 2 bullet close to each other. However, the shape of it also looks like maybe its 1 bullet that tumbled and keyholed? What do you guys think? The 4 shots were 168 grain FGMM. Those are the only 4 FGMM that I had so there is no direct comparison. But I did shoot a group of Hirtenberger before and after this group and this is how they looked:

ignore the 2 smaller holes below, they are 223

What does it look like when you put the paper entrance side down on a table and carefully push the ragged edges back together so they’re flat again? I always do this then tape over the holes on the back side with Scotch tape. It makes the holes look very nice, and you can see the individual holes much better to measure them for groups.

CGN Regular
    unfortunately I did not think to do that and tossed out the paper. I did try to push the edges back and lay them flat, but I cant tell if they are made by a bullet or 2. What bothers me is the shape of it. It does not look like 2 circles that have merged, but rather looks like something rectangular or triangular went through the paper.

How far where you shooting? The bullet might not have had enough time to stabilize if you are close.

CGN Regular
    200 yards.

The 3rd picture i posted is at 100, the last pic is again at 200

Quote Originally Posted by Nic3500 View Post
    How far where you shooting? The bullet might not have had enough time to stabilize if you are close.
    That’s a total myth.