CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Beat-up AR buffer edges? Offset Buffer Retainer might fix that

  1. #1
    Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    867

    Lightbulb Beat-up AR buffer edges? Offset Buffer Retainer might fix that

    normally when you close the receivers the BCG rear should push the buffer slightly into the buffer tube so that the buffer does not touch the buffer retainer.

    sometimes dimensional creep/tolerance stackup (especially with parts from different manufacturers) causes the buffer the rest/impact on the buffer retainer during use. this manifests as a beat-up buffer and retaining pin (sometimes a broken retaining pin).



    One possible solution is an Offset Buffer Retainer, basically a buffer retainer but the pin is moved forward slightly. This may be enough change so that the buffer will rest on the BCG and spare the retainer the beating. the retainer has a little shelf to interface with the buffer tube and help it stay in the forward position.

    https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...-retainer.html

    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

  2. #2
    GunNutz Sqr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    4,322
    Just remove the pin from an out of spec lower as it is there only for convenience. Ya ya people will laugh.
    CCFR NRA CSSA

  3. #3
    CGN frequent flyer CraigNConnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cochrane
    Posts
    1,573
    In short

    If you bought an Anderson lower and haven't built it yet, you need this lol.

    Let the flames ignite

  4. #4
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ground Zero
    Posts
    10,048
    Quote Originally Posted by True North Arms Corp View Post
    normally when you close the receivers the BCG rear should push the buffer slightly into the buffer tube so that the buffer does not touch the buffer retainer.

    sometimes dimensional creep/tolerance stackup (especially with parts from different manufacturers) causes the buffer the rest/impact on the buffer retainer during use. this manifests as a beat-up buffer and retaining pin (sometimes a broken retaining pin).



    One possible solution is an Offset Buffer Retainer, basically a buffer retainer but the pin is moved forward slightly. This may be enough change so that the buffer will rest on the BCG and spare the retainer the beating. the retainer has a little shelf to interface with the buffer tube and help it stay in the forward position.

    https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...-retainer.html

    Right. For a frankengun, I can see this maybe being a thing.

    But with an upper/lower/BCG from a single manufacturer, this isn't a problem you can encounter based on tolerance stackup, as it a single part, the upper, or the lower, or the Bolt Carrier Body, that is out of spec by a significant degree in order to produce this problem.

    Would not a buffer with a rebated rim also be a reasonable solution? Something like this. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

    I understand those parts in particular are for a different purpose, so you might have to fiddle with the dimensions, but this could also work.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. HL Mencken. 1916.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

  5. #5
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ground Zero
    Posts
    10,048
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigNConnor View Post
    In short

    If you bought an Anderson lower and haven't built it yet, you need this lol.

    Let the flames ignite
    Is there a known issue with the Andersons?
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. HL Mencken. 1916.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

  6. #6
    Super GunNutz neoconfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    Is there a known issue with the Andersons?
    It's been known to occur with Anderson lowers, but not frequently enough to merit flaming the whole brand. Anderson lowers are just fine the overwhelming majority of the time. Their lemon rate will be higher than Diemaco, but they're also $100.

    The only lowers (and uppers for that matter) I've found to be consistently out of spec were NEA.
    When I die, don't let my girlfriend sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

    CSSA|CCFR

  7. #7
    CGN frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by neoconfection View Post
    It's been known to occur with Anderson lowers, but not frequently enough to merit flaming the whole brand. Anderson lowers are just fine the overwhelming majority of the time. Their lemon rate will be higher than Diemaco, but they're also $100.

    The only lowers (and uppers for that matter) I've found to be consistently out of spec were NEA.
    They're just NEA spec.

    Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

  8. #8
    Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    Right. For a frankengun, I can see this maybe being a thing.

    But with an upper/lower/BCG from a single manufacturer, this isn't a problem you can encounter based on tolerance stackup, as it a single part, the upper, or the lower, or the Bolt Carrier Body, that is out of spec by a significant degree in order to produce this problem.

    Would not a buffer with a rebated rim also be a reasonable solution? Something like this. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

    I understand those parts in particular are for a different purpose, so you might have to fiddle with the dimensions, but this could also work.
    a chamfered buffer would work too
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

  9. #9
    Super GunNutz Brianma65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,816
    Got any blemished barrels for sale.
    I need a 14-14 1/2 AR 15 barrel

  10. #10
    Super GunNutz neoconfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    They're just NEA spec.
    That is true. NEA will match NEA. Any other combo will take hand-fitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Got any blemished barrels for sale.
    I need a 14-14 1/2 AR 15 barrel
    They seem pretty cleaned out of barrels at the moment...thank God so many of what they stock are made in Canada so they're not affected by the shutdown down south.
    When I die, don't let my girlfriend sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

    CSSA|CCFR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •